JL Fire In Tennessee Today

BJinGA

First Name
Bernadette
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2016 75th Anniversary Jeep Wrangler Sahara JK, 2011 Jeep Rubicon JK, 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Quadradrive
Gather round and take knee if you’re interested in the story of the Spicy Mojito. I am the owner of this hot JLUR, taken delivery of it on 9 August with 26 miles on the odometer. This JL has the 3.6 with manual transmission, that means it has 3 foot pedals instead of two for those that don’t know. It was driven to my residence, 14.7 miles, with no issues. On 10 August it was driven 42 in rural and urban areas with no issues. On 13 August it was driven in the same manner for 55 miles, and again no problems. The next day, with 146 miles on the odometer, it was driven by my wife 7 miles to the on ramp of the local interstate. As she merged onto the interstate she immediately noticed something was wrong and made her way over to the shoulder and turned it off. Another commuter noticed this and pulled off too, alerting her that there was fire underneath the Jeep (puddle of flames) while removing her from the vehicle. Moments after the Jeep started itself and the engine compartment was engulfed in flames until put out by the local FD.

The JLUR was towed back to the dealership where it currently sits. I contacted Jeep the same day and filed a statement with customer care. 36 hours later I again made contact with Jeep Care and was given a case number and notified that an inspector should be looking at it in 2-5 business days.

At the time of the incident, there had been no modifications physically or electrically to the stock Rubicon. All fluids had been checked and were at nominal levels. During its short 126 mile life we had it, there was no indication of over heating, loss of power or anything else out of the ordinary.

Hopefully this clears up any and all misinformation or rumors floating among this and other forums. My wife also took delivery of her JLUR mid July and currently has 2,3## miles with no problems to report.

Now we can begin the Q & A portion of this gathering.

v/r,

:flag:

F827ABE5-2DBE-4394-A14D-CFC3824E4097.jpeg

A9E4567C-EF3C-406A-9984-0A73809A2D44.jpeg

7715052F-1AEB-4E33-885C-8993882AF6C9.jpeg
Oh, and the husbands vote is: looks like a possible ground problem, which means it hunted around for the next best ground and heated it up melting all the aluminum and (obviously) plastic in its search, then ignited fuel somehow. Pretty much the catalyst was the darn auto start turning the car back on! It could have went down the assembly line, and if someone missed one ground, or it wasn’t a good contact ground, that just could have done the trick. Hubby is an 18 year Chrysler tech. He’s seen these over the years and one thing is for sure....they will figure out what it was. Now, will they TELL us the truth? That’s another matter! Glad you wife is ok!

Advertisement

Bgruss75

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (Burned-up 14JUL)
Occupation
Busy
Spivey Mojito Update: Contacted today by a third-party inspector hire by Chrysler. Asked a few questions before he did his physical inspections. Stated he’d have his report done tonight and to Chrysler. I’ll be giving them a call tomorrow to check the status.Hopefully they make this right, or I’ll take this right to arbitration. MTF as the mystery unfolds.

Bgruss75

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Busy
Oh, and the husbands vote is: looks like a possible ground problem, which means it hunted around for the next best ground and heated it up melting all the aluminum and (obviously) plastic in its search, then ignited fuel somehow. Pretty much the catalyst was the darn auto start turning the car back on! It could have went down the assembly line, and if someone missed one ground, or it wasn’t a good contact ground, that just could have done the trick. Hubby is an 18 year Chrysler tech. He’s seen these over the years and one thing is for sure....they will figure out what it was. Now, will they TELL us the truth? That’s another matter! Glad you wife is ok!
Definitely a possibility. Dunno if the inspector would be able to come to that conclusion from the charred engine compartment. We’ll hopefully find out soon from the inspection that occurred today.

ALRUI

First Name
Arnold
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2003 F150 S-Crew FX4, Others
Well , you don't need to warm it up in the morning .
Actually it the Eco Boosts warm up within a minute of start-up due to coolant bypass solenoids. They do run very hot, I.E. if you open hood to check oil shortly after turning the engine off you can barely touch the dipstick its so hot.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Actually it the Eco Boosts warm up within a minute of start-up due to coolant bypass solenoids. They do run very hot, I.E. if you open hood to check oil shortly after turning the engine off you can barely touch the dipstick its so hot.
Maybe that was the cause of the fire on the lot with the new vehicles ? Someone turned on an engine .

Rocky25

First Name
Scott
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Any updates regarding causation from the inspection??

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Glad she's ok. Interested in the findings.

Bgruss75

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Busy
I’d love to say there was progress made, but I can’t say that. After making a call to JeepCares daily, and being told that my case has been elevated every time, I have yet to be contacted by Jeep or FCA. Two supervisors have been emailed and the agent has told me I would receive a call the next business day.,,,HA! Hasn’t happened yet. I also learned the rep failed to input notes about my contact with them on Wednesday, some customer service they have. I did received a direct line from another Jeeper on the forum. I’ll be giving that number a call on Monday.

DanPop

First Name
Dan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Jl Unlimited Sport S
FCA sent me an email about a NEW recall for bad voltage regulators, my Rosie isn't affected but my first thought everytime I hear electrical problems is fire. FCA is stating that issue causes stalling.. Who knows.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I’d love to say there was progress made, but I can’t say that. After making a call to JeepCares daily, and being told that my case has been elevated every time, I have yet to be contacted by Jeep or FCA. Two supervisors have been emailed and the agent has told me I would receive a call the next business day.,,,HA! Hasn’t happened yet. I also learned the rep failed to input notes about my contact with them on Wednesday, some customer service they have. I did received a direct line from another Jeeper on the forum. I’ll be giving that number a call on Monday.
Contact Mike Manley , CEO .

Bgruss75

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Busy
Pray for this family. Dunno the specifics of the Jeep, I just hope it ain’t the start of a defect for the JLs.

0CBFB4BE-ECBC-40F0-A180-0F07F3B4ABF0.png

Bgruss75

First Name
Russ
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Busy
I think the news video said this happened last Thursday. After mine burned, the wife didn’t drive hers for a week. But this family, damn shame regardless of cause.

Advertisement

TopLift Pros

Advertisement