nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
F53ECA8E-7808-45A7-9B14-50DA345A3941.jpeg
7A717136-ACE7-4ABE-A4EE-3DA7555B3680.jpeg
This happened in Tennessee today, brand new Jeep with less than 200 miles. Still trying to confirm if 2.0 or 3.6.

Advertisement

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
Man, that sucks. Despite 2.0 or V-6...or any car for that matter if it happened to someone. Hopefully it's factory caused and not driver installing something or whatever. ouch..

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Man...that's terrible.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
That is horrible. I hope everyone is okay there. :(

If I had to guess, it would be the 2.0. Just a gut feeling.

**update 1 minute later after looking closer**

@viper88 is correct. It has to be a 3.6 as this looks like a Rubicon (Just by the factory rims only since the hood is gone).

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Man, that sucks. Despite 2.0 or V-6...or any car for that matter if it happened to someone. Hopefully it's factory caused and not driver installing something or whatever. ouch..
If it is factory caused, then it would be more likely to happen to the rest of us though. :( And hopefully it doesn't happen while it is in our garages and burns the house down, with people in the house. And some home owners insurance policies have an exclusion for car fires causing house fires, so they won't cover the damage to the house. Ugh.

OP
nvabill

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
That is horrible. I hope everyone is okay there. :(

If I had to guess, it would be the 2.0. Just a gut feeling.

**update 1 minute later after looking closer**

@viper88 is correct. It has to be a 3.6 as this looks like a Rubicon (Just by the factory rims only since the hood is gone).
You do realize the 2.0 engine is also available in a Rubicon don't you?

RW Sting Gray

First Name
Roger
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S
If it is factory caused, then it would be more likely to happen to the rest of us though. :( And hopefully it doesn't happen while it is in our garages and burns the house down, with people in the house. And some home owners insurance policies have an exclusion for car fires causing house fires, so they won't cover the damage to the house. Ugh.
Well true, but chances are it was running so they had time to pull over at least. I never thought my vehicle will just instantaneously combust just sitting there and not on. Either way, at least it can/should be covered by FCA, albeit after a lengthy investigation, process etc..Hope it gets made right in the end.

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
the bigger question is, what happened to the hood and the front body panels??. Why is it in pieces or disintegrated?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
There are now documented fires for both the 3.6 and 2.0. I read FCA did something to remedy the 2.0 fires. Hopefully the 3.6 fire was isolated and unique. A vehicle can be replaced. At least no one got hurt.

Pic18

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
the bigger question is, what happened to the hood and the front body panels??. Why is it in pieces or disintegrated?
I was wondering the same thing. I’m not a fire expert, but seeing metal like that gone means it got hot enough to liquify it.

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Well true, but chances are it was running so they had time to pull over at least. I never thought my vehicle will just instantaneously combust just sitting there and not on. Either way, at least it can/should be covered by FCA, albeit after a lengthy investigation, process etc..Hope it gets made right in the end.
https://wsvn.com/news/local/car-catches-fire-inside-garage-in-sw-miami-dade/
https://www.wric.com/news/local-new...-fire-inside-south-richmond-garage/1094468973
https://www.wpxi.com/news/top-stories/car-catches-fire-in-garage-spreads-to-house1/695869030
http://www.azfamily.com/story/36826879/car-engine-catches-fire-igniting-phoenix-garage

Many more examples at:

https://www.google.com/search?q=car+catches+fire+in+garage

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering the same thing. I’m not a fire expert, but seeing metal like that gone means it got hot enough to liquify it.
Aluminum burns, so that's why the hood is mostly gone.

Advertisement

PSC Motorsports

Advertisement