JL etorque 48v battery not charging

MtnMadeAdventure

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL unlimited, 2000 XJ
I know there have been a bunch of issues posted about the etorque engine. I have a 2019 unlimited with the 2.0 turbo etorque. I bought it used with about 10k miles on it and have put another 10k on. I bought it with the modifications made by the previous owner, who was really the second owner. (The bought it used did the mods, then sold.) They include a 3" lift with 35s, steel bumpers, increased suspension to go with the lift, a dual battery system, and some other things that, when compared with other customized Jeep, aren't that crazy. Back in August it broke down. The first dealer in Illinois (where I was driving when it broke down) replaced the fuse box, the 48v battery, the copper wiring that connects the 48v battery and disconnected the dual battery. Still wouldn't run, took them three weeks to do all that. I towed it back to Virginia and the dealer here has had it for 4 months. Chrysler is involved and won't let the dealer touch it, so repairs continue at a glacial pace. I've run out of patience. They've replaced the 48v three or four times, still won't charge. They've replaced the MGU, and from what I can tell, all the wiring. They fully removed the dual battery system, even though that hasn't been connected since August. Ugh.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Well, I’d sell it. It’s going to have a bad module of some sort or a signal wire here or there that has a bad connection. Something stupid will fix it some day.

OP
OP
MtnMadeAdventure

MtnMadeAdventure

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, I’d sell it. It’s going to have a bad module of some sort or a signal wire here or there that has a bad connection. Something stupid will fix it some day.
I agree, though until it can be driven off the lot, I don't know how to go about selling it. Thanks for posting and I agree, it's something stupid that somebody has overlooked.

somedude922

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, Previous: 1984 CJ7, 1979 CJ7
I have seen very few posts about "issues" with the e torque system. I would never buy a second hand modified Jeep, especially JL where the electrical is involved. I would sell it.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I hate to state the obvious, but the belt start generator does the charging? Why keep replacing the battery when it sounds like an obvious charging issue? You wouldn’t keep replacing the 12v battery because you had a bad alternator. Granted these systems are far more complicated than your standard battery and alternator, but engine rotation has to be converted in to charge current as step number 1 just the same. The etorque is an emissions system and thus covered by an 8 year, 80k mile warranty, so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to sell a broken Jeep at a huge loss. Make them fix it.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
I agree, though until it can be driven off the lot, I don't know how to go about selling it. Thanks for posting and I agree, it's something stupid that somebody has overlooked.
It sounds like it’s still under warranty. I had an issue with my previous jeep that 2 dealers couldn’t figure out in like 6 visits, but because it was still under the factory warranty, they let me trade it in while it was still on the lift.

OP
OP
MtnMadeAdventure

MtnMadeAdventure

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It sounds like it’s still under warranty. I had an issue with my previous jeep that 2 dealers couldn’t figure out in like 6 visits, but because it was still under the factory warranty, they let me trade it in while it was still on the lift.
Thanks, that is good to know.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Tell the selling dealer to go pick it up.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I hate to state the obvious, but the belt start generator does the charging? Why keep replacing the battery when it sounds like an obvious charging issue? You wouldn’t keep replacing the 12v battery because you had a bad alternator. Granted these systems are far more complicated than your standard battery and alternator, but engine rotation has to be converted in to charge current as step number 1 just the same. The etorque is an emissions system and thus covered by an 8 year, 80k mile warranty, so I wouldn’t be in a hurry to sell a broken Jeep at a huge loss. Make them fix it.
it’s a lemon at this point. Not a loss.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
it’s a lemon at this point. Not a loss.
Which is not the same as the “sell it“ advice. Get them to do A lemon buyback at a fair price for a working Jeep because they can’t fix it is sound advice. Trying to sell a broken Jeep would just result in a massive loss.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Which is not the same as the “sell it“ advice. Get them to do A lemon buyback at a fair price for a working Jeep because they can’t fix it is sound advice. Trying to sell a broken Jeep would just result in a massive loss.
I stand by what I said.
Sponsored