Sponsored

JL drives like caught in wild crosswinds. Where to start?

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Thanks for reading. Love the '18 JL. Previous owner put 70k miles in 2.5 years. The last 10k miles has 285/70/17 with -12 offset 17x9 Fuel wheels (see my avatar). Drives like a wobbly goblin, but it's NOT the death wobble. The Sumitomo AT tires are all even wear. Seems the steering stabilizer was replaced as a recall/satisfaction campaign. So that's good.

Are the -12s to blame for it all -or- check what components first? Little help is appreciated.

So much better Tech help here. My Renegade forum's all about stickers and eyelashes. God love 'em.
Sponsored

IdahoJOAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURe Tuscadero, Black '05 Silverado
Vehicle Showcase
My Renegade forum's all about stickers and eyelashes. God love 'em.
Well there goes the milk I HAD been drinking.

Jmos4

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Challenger Scat Pack M6/2007 Ram 2500 G56
Hi,

Check the caster, as there are a few post regarding using longer LCA's to help with the tracking/steering.

Regards,
Jim

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for reading. Love the '18 JL. Previous owner put 70k miles in 2.5 years. The last 10k miles has 285/70/17 with -12 offset 17x9 Fuel wheels (see my avatar). Drives like a wobbly goblin, but it's NOT the death wobble. The Sumitomo AT tires are all even wear. Seems the steering stabilizer was replaced as a recall/satisfaction campaign. So that's good.

Are the -12s to blame for it all -or- check what components first? Little help is appreciated.

So much better Tech help here. My Renegade forum's all about stickers and eyelashes. God love 'em.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL drives like caught in wild crosswinds.  Where to start? F8F75458-6444-4439-B2BA-7817622D5411

Sponsored

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Like @Dyolfknip74 said. Start there. You are likely overinflated causing it seem like it is wandering all over the place. Drop to 28-30 or so and see how it drives then. My guess is you are 37+.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Maybe due to the steering box issue I've read about here. The aluminum box is to be replaced with the steel box. Have any idea if yours is the aluminum one?
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...screwed-need-advice.76595/page-2#post-1781179
Thanks for all the replies, guys. This is the first thing I'll check after doing the part numbers research. Could be bad after 70k in 2.5 years. Had to be highway miles.
Check the caster, as there are a few post regarding using longer LCA's to help with the tracking/steering. Regards, Jim
First thing I'll act on though, is a good alignment. She's going in tomorrow for a new side mirror assembly. Maybe I'll have them throw her onto their alignment "checker" while I'm taking a grain of salt.
Like @Dyolfknip74 said. Start there. You are likely overinflated causing it seem like it is wandering all over the place. Drop to 28-30 or so and see how it drives then. My guess is you are 37+.
Out of the dealer's driveway they were at 37-42#. It drove wander-y and felt like wagon wheels. Confirmed my faith in pre-delivery service people. I chalk tested her down to 28#. A later follow-up confirmed that was best, and rides sooo much better. But still wander-y.

I'll report back tomorrow. Thank you!

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Thanks for all the replies, guys. This is the first thing I'll check after doing the part numbers research. Could be bad after 70k in 2.5 years. Had to be highway miles.

First thing I'll act on though, is a good alignment. She's going in tomorrow for a new side mirror assembly. Maybe I'll have them throw her onto their alignment "checker" while I'm taking a grain of salt.

Out of the dealer's driveway they were at 37-42#. It drove wander-y and felt like wagon wheels. Confirmed my faith in pre-delivery service people. I chalk tested her down to 28#. A later follow-up confirmed that was best, and rides sooo much better. But still wander-y.

I'll report back tomorrow. Thank you!
Good luck, if your caster is in the high 4s or less you'll want to get longer LCAs, the sweet spot for these is 6 to 7. Luckily the longer Mopar lift LCAs are only about $80 for the pair and an easy install.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Thanks again to all. Just read the (latest?) TSB of January 9 2021 08-003-21. This CPO vehicle just bought 2 months ago, I'm still in 3mo/3k MaxCare CPO warranty. Better yet, this JL was built before 1/22/19 and so may get new track bars as well.

So here goes the chase.
Still try this route before replacing the -12 offset wheels?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Reporting back. As per TSB 08-003-21 REV A of 11/20/21, and just within the end of 3 months of CPO Maximum Care, they're installing the steel steering box, reflashing, aligning, and since the build date was before 1/22/2019, the front track bar too.

I'll trust...but verify the job before it leaves the lot. I'm still not thrilled about the -12 offsets with the crowns in these roads. But that's another $$$ argument soon to come.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
The steering box will help, but you do want to get the caster above 6*, closer to 6.5* is better.
This my next investigation. You've a 4 door, I've got 2.

Still applies, right? And you do you guys generally like the dealer alignments over say, a general shop like Goodyear?

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon

Still applies, right? And you do you guys generally like the dealer alignments over say, a general shop like Goodyear?
Caster is caster. Still applies.

Technically, there is nothing to "align" except fixing a steering wheel that's off center after a lift. There isn't any adjustability in stock components.

In saying that, it's still nice to get a shop print out to see numbers. Your absolute best bet is to find a reputable offroad shop to help dial in suspension.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase

Caster can only be adjusted if your Jeep has adjustable control arms. The problem with having an alignment done at a dealer is that they adhere to factory specs, which is too low when it comes to caster. Even some independent shops are hell bent on sticking to factory specs. It's always best to talk with them first, to verify that they already know that factory caster specs are too low, or will at least dial it into the 6-6.5° range. If they are a reputable and competent shop, but seem a bit reluctant, you can even go as far as assuring them that you will not hold them accountable for not using factory caster specs. That's assuming that they do in fact complete a competent job.
Sponsored