Sponsored

JL drives like caught in wild crosswinds. Where to start?

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Not sure if you've already had the TSB for the steering box done but my dude forgot to tighten up the track bar when putting it back together. If you're poking around underneath it when they finish it wouldn't hurt to make sure that is snug.
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Not sure if you've already had the TSB for the steering box done but my dude forgot to tighten up the track bar when putting it back together. If you're poking around underneath it when they finish it wouldn't hurt to make sure that is snug.
That's nothing, the 4 bolts holding my steering gear were only snugged to 40 ft lbs (or less) and the shaft bolt was reused (which is never supposed to be done). And the fluid reservoir cap was off and laying on the fender (good thing it was a smooth drive home). But what the hell, it's only one of the most important parts on your vehicle to have torqued down tight, nothing wrong could happen having that come loose :headbang: 😨:angry:

Jamrock

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
I would not expect the -12 offset to be an issue. This is a popular choice for non-Rubican Jeeps. I like -12 offset wheels but it is really a matter of personal taste.

As others have suggested, get the steering box changed, check the tire pressure, check the caster. See where things are after that.

You can start looking for worn or loose front end components once you get these basic things in place.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
This my next investigation. You've a 4 door, I've got 2.

Still applies, right? And you do you guys generally like the dealer alignments over say, a general shop like Goodyear?
I had both the dealer and an independent shop check alignment on my JLs. As said, the dealer will make any adjustments to spec, but all that be changed is the toe (and that was way off on both of mine).

The Mopar LCAs gave me an additional 1.3* of caster. New Mopar LCAs got my ‘19 to 6* and adjustable LCAs got my ‘20 to ~7*, which I like. Then again, my ‘19 was such a hot mess regarding steering it was bought back.

AG’s ‘ 21 Jeep Wrangler

First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
That’s the way many Wranglers drive, specially if the tire pressure is too high. I dropped mine to 32-33 pounds and it drives much better. I also have 185/70/17, 385/70/17 tires. :jk: :LOL:

Last edited:

Sponsored

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
The steering gearbox should fix 98% of your vehicle wander OP. My JL drove like a semi with over inflated tires pulling triples on an icy road in the middle of 100 mph sheer winds. I had to saw on the steering wheel like a meth head intrigued by a pinball flipper. Got a new steering box and now it drives like a Jeep.

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Update. Did everything per latest TSB. Nov 2021? Replaced steering gear, track bar, alignment, and update under last days of 3 month CPO Maximum Care warranty. Steers like a new JL, not like a kid’s antique Radio Flyer. Worth beyond the effort. Thanks posters.

Sponsored

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Update. Did everything per latest TSB. Nov 2021? Replaced steering gear, track bar, alignment, and update under last days of 3 month CPO Maximum Care warranty. Steers like a new JL, not like a kid’s antique Radio Flyer. Worth beyond the effort. Thanks posters.
That's great news!

Jeep Wrangler JL JL drives like caught in wild crosswinds.  Where to start? ace-ventura-drivin

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Thanks again to all. Just read the (latest?) TSB of January 9 2021 08-003-21. This CPO vehicle just bought 2 months ago, I'm still in 3mo/3k MaxCare CPO warranty. Better yet, this JL was built before 1/22/19 and so may get new track bars as well.

So here goes the chase.
Still try this route before replacing the -12 offset wheels?
The wheels aren’t the problem. Nothing wrong with the offset. I have two sets of wheels with that offset and my brother does too. Both Jeeps drive great. (Looks like I got to the party late. Glad you got it fixed! :like: )

VKSheridan

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 Dr Rubicon JL Hardtop
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Heavy Equipment
Vehicle Showcase
Good to hear. Considering steering gearboxes have been around since carmakers decided to upgrade from the tiller, Jeep was still able to find a way to screw it up. You should be good to go. 👍👍

OP
OP
DogsRule

DogsRule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! JL
Small heart attack today. Got her home from the dealer 50 miles away and parked it 5 days ago. Parked since. Today I popped the hood and the P/S reservior was BONE DRY. Then I'm wondering "Was I driving the new gear box dry too? It was either flatbed it back to the dealer and wait another month cause I'm sure they'll hurry after I bitch them out for not putting in fluid. Or get a Mopar pint of electric steering fluid?!? and see how dry it is. Fortunately, very little brought it up to level. Maybe a half-cup of that (2 cup) pint. And its green. Not the cup of red oil I see on the floor under that corner.

So here's to hope and I'll check the levels tomorrow.
Sponsored