JL downshift clunking noise (4th-3rd in AT) at low speeds

pksoni97

First Name
Pankaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Hey guys, I have been noticing a mild clunking noise when my JL (2018, 52k kms driven, 2.5” lift, Fox shocks) downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear (in auto) in start-stop traffic. Its mild, but definitely noticeable. I have read numerous forum posts on this and alot of people face this with no fixed solution. Can someone please update if anything’s been sorted in this regard? If yes, then please let me know so I can do it.

295E945A-2CCC-4732-AEDF-A6A4FE5A6A90.jpeg
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Moving parts make noise. Service the tranny fluid, then don’t worry about it.

OP
OP

pksoni97

First Name
Pankaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
@mwilk012 thanks for the response! Will try changing the tranny fluid coming weekend.
Hopefully goes away after that. Any idea what it could be though?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
@mwilk012 thanks for the response! Will try changing the tranny fluid coming weekend.
I don’t mean to sound condescending, but are you familiar with the internal workings of an automatic transmission?

Sponsored

OP
OP

pksoni97

First Name
Pankaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Is there a clunking sound when going over bumps?
The clunks only come up when downshifting specifically from 4th to 3rd gear on AT, and between 15-20km/hr. Its a weird phase where a little acc or braking stops it. So yeah, not over bumps

OP
OP

pksoni97

First Name
Pankaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
I
I don’t mean to sound condescending, but are you familiar with the internal workings of an automatic transmission?
i get it, but its not a normal clunk in AT either. Im not able to pinpoint its cause. Hence this forum is where im seeking some help

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Hey guys, I have been noticing a mild clunking noise when my JL (2018, 52k kms driven, 2.5” lift, Fox shocks) downshifts from 4th to 3rd gear (in auto) in start-stop traffic. Its mild, but definitely noticeable. I have read numerous forum posts on this and alot of people face this with no fixed solution. Can someone please update if anything’s been sorted in this regard? If yes, then please let me know so I can do it.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL downshift clunking noise (4th-3rd in AT) at low speeds 295E945A-2CCC-4732-AEDF-A6A4FE5A6A90
What's the dealer say?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I

i get it, but its not a normal clunk in AT either. Im not able to pinpoint its cause. Hence this forum is where im seeking some help
If you really believe it is in the transmission and primarily on a particular shift, there’s not much to be done but speculate. Flush fluids with clean OE spec green stuff, and maybe clear the shift adaptives. It may be unnecessarily shifting very rapidly and applying too much pressure too rapidly. Or you have a bad transmission, or a bad valve body. Or it’s not in the transmission at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP

pksoni97

First Name
Pankaj
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
What's the dealer say?
Dealer’s saying its normal in Jeeps.. but clearly not.
If you really believe it is in the transmission and primarily on a particular shift, there’s not much to be done but speculate. Flush fluids with clean OE spec green stuff, and maybe clear the shift adaptives. It may be unnecessarily shifting very rapidly and applying too much pressure too rapidly. Or you have a bad transmission, or a bad valve body. Or it’s not in the transmission at all.
Yeah true, this is great help. I will take it to a private garage soon and get the fluids replaced. Will post it here if any updates!

brujbaur

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep 2018 rubicon
Just had a clunking noise on a 2018 Rubicon lifted 3 inches. the lower control arms have bushings that were worn completely out and I am working with the repair shop to replace the bushings.
Sponsored