JL dolly towing behind RV redux

Mackskibum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue
Let me start with this. I KNOW WHAT THE FRIGGIN MANUAL SAYS. I don't mean to be confrontational, but this is supposed to be a technical forum and RTFM isn't technical. I’m looking for the technical reason why this is a problem. Let me offer the following:

1. The front driveshaft does not turn when in 2wd.
2. The front driveshaft does not turn when TC is in Neutral. FAD is not active in Neutral. I verified this with a video.

In my mind this means there is no mechanical link between the front axle and the transfer case even when towing 4 down. When towing 4 down, the TC is in neutral and the transmission is in gear (6 speed). Same scenario on a dolly with rear wheels down. Transmission output shaft is not spinning. Transfer case input shaft is disconnected from the transfer case output shaft in either scenario.

I have read the threads that talk about "its because Jeep wants to cover their behind).

If there is a mechanical or lubrication issue- I would like to hear why 4 down and 2 down is different given the details above.

Thanks all!
Sponsored

LazyJL

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2001 built XJ, 1997 near stock XJ
Occupation
Retired fabricator and mechanic
With the front driveshaft freewheeling and the front axle disconnected, I see no reason why a JL couldn’t be towed on a dolly.
That said, there must be something that we are not considering if the Manual is so specific about not towing on a dolly. Sometimes the engineers do know something we don’t. Too bad they do not tell us the reason why.

The next question is why would you want the hassles of a dolly?
It adds more weight to pull, reduces the braking on Jeep, while towing, to two wheels, assuming that the Jeep would have an onboard tow-brake system if flat towed.
Most states require brakes on tow vehicles.

And once you get to your destination, the dolly must be parked somewhere, a problem if you stay in a tight campground, with limited parking.

I have flat towed a Jeep behind our motorhomes for twenty years and have known many who have tried a dolly, thinking they could save some money. Everyone of them swtiched quickly to a flat-tow setup. The loading and unloading of a dolly is more difficult than using a tow bar.
Dollys are great for short term use with cars that cannot be flat-towed, which is the majority of cars on the road today. If towing your Jeep just once or twice, a rental dolly will work, for long-term use, flat towing is the way to go.
We are lucky that our Jeeps can be safely flat towed, a reason why we see so many being towed behind motorhomes.

OP
OP

Mackskibum

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Ocean Blue
Thanks for your reply. The instructions for manual vs. automatic are the same. I’m hoping for someone with internal TC experience or someone that has done this to chime in.

I already have the dolly. It has brakes installed so no issue there. I use the dolly for other things and this is the best option for us.

campsite size is rarely an issue when you get past 35’. The extra 4’ for the dolly is not a problem.

Oldbear

First Name
Dwayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel; 20 JL Sport S 2 door
As noted, the manual says “No”. Why? Not sure, but I’d think the folks that designed and built it would know more about it than the average user. If you are really serious, I’d fine a GOOD Jeep wrench/shop and see if they could tell you why the factory says no. Personally I flat tow and it does fine. I did consider a dolly, but after thinking about having to deal with it at the type campsites we prefer I decided flattow was for us. Good luck and let us know how this works out for you,
Sponsored