JL Diesel Watching and Waiting Club

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I have no doubt with the 2.0. I am incredibly scared/put off of the 48V system. If it came from Honda, I'd be much more receptive to it, but being an FCA product, AND an offroad product, the complexity, water issues, warranty issues, etc, is enough to put me off.

Blu 44

First Name
KR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon, 2dr; 2014 BMW 535dx; 2017 Porsche’s 911 4S
I read today that the Wrangler is MotorTrends's 2019 SUV of the Year. In the article they speak very favorably about the 2.0 Turbo.
I’m still waiting for the diesel - all that torque! I’ve been in line for it for at least a decade. My biggest fear is I wait for and it finally springs in calendar 2019 but they fail to pair it with the six speed manual gearbox and/or restrict it to the 4dr unlimited. Ugh !! I’d consider the 2.0 turbo but it doesn’t mate with a manual (yet or ever??). I’m on my third 2dr manual (currently a 2012 with the somewhat underpowered Pentastar) in the past 20 years and I can’t imagine the automatic being anywhere as much fun.

Anyone else with me, holding out (hoping) for the 2dr manual oil burner ? Any news / insight on whether the -22 engine order code means 2dr manual (probably Rubicon, which is my presence anyway)?

Technoman

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 CJ-5/2015 JKURHR
Hey I feel for ya BLU....I'd love own what you're waiting for but I'm guessing it's a reach. I'm old school and built some CJ's and finally XJ's and couldn't think of ever owning a auto. I've been waiting for diesel since Toledo gave them out to the military. When the POS 3.8 with the wrong gearing came out I thought that's it these idiots don't know Jeeps or how to build them. Well,I caved and bought a 2015 JKURHR when I realized they had a 5 speed and decent 3.6. Said at the time I'm not getting any younger and want to finally play with a Wranger. I wheel alone mostly day trips these days and take it easy more. But damn....had to lift 3.5"and put on 35's just to keep the belly off the ground on an easy day. I will not buy another Wrangler to replace the JK unless they do the 3.0. I expect issues to a degree with the smog crap. But....the torque and the somewhat proven 8-speed along with to me a very important extended range and I'm all in. Check out the JLEngine guy's reporting in the tech section. He's probably the best link to finding out if anything will get the engine we want.
Cheers,Scott

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I’m still waiting for the diesel - all that torque! I’ve been in line for it for at least a decade. My biggest fear is I wait for and it finally springs in calendar 2019 but they fail to pair it with the six speed manual gearbox and/or restrict it to the 4dr unlimited. Ugh !! I’d consider the 2.0 turbo but it doesn’t mate with a manual (yet or ever??). I’m on my third 2dr manual (currently a 2012 with the somewhat underpowered Pentastar) in the past 20 years and I can’t imagine the automatic being anywhere as much fun.

Anyone else with me, holding out (hoping) for the 2dr manual oil burner ? Any news / insight on whether the -22 engine order code means 2dr manual (probably Rubicon, which is my presence anyway)?
I would be shocked if there is a manual diesel. I will be slightly less shocked but still pretty shocked if there is a two door diesel.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Let me put you out of your misery....the diesel will NOT be offered in a 2 door, and the diesel will NOT be offered with the manual transmission.

Blu 44

First Name
KR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon, 2dr; 2014 BMW 535dx; 2017 Porsche’s 911 4S
Let me put you out of your misery....the diesel will NOT be offered in a 2 door, and the diesel will NOT be offered with the manual transmission.
Thanks for the responses. I’m not surprised that to date they range from “it’s a reach” to being put out my misery, with capital letters (“NOT”). Yes, hoping reports of a 2019 engine code “-22” means a diesel 3.0 paired with the manual in a 2dr certainly feels unlikely at best at this point.

So, to my fellow Wrangler-loving dreamers partial to (i) the manual gearbox, (ii) 2dr, (iii) prefer the off-road Rubicon, and (iv) have also alway pined for a stronger, touquier, more fuel-efficient engine (I currently have the inaugural 2012 3.6l Pentastar), what would you do:

1) give up, stop waiting for a diesel offering and get the 2019 2dr, manual Rubicon;
2) wait for the diesel and, assuming they ever bring it, likely have to give up on the manual tranny and perhaps the 2dr as well; or
3) opt for the 2.0l turbo with the new auto trans in a 2dr Rubicon

Any thoughts appreciated - many thanks.

Frostbit

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bikini JLUR 3.0 Diesel, '96 Dodge Cummins 12V, '06 Dodge Cummins Dually
Thanks for the responses. I’m not surprised that to date they range from “it’s a reach” to being put out my misery, with capital letters (“NOT”). Yes, hoping reports of a 2019 engine code “-22” means a diesel 3.0 paired with the manual in a 2dr certainly feels unlikely at best at this point.

So, to my fellow Wrangler-loving dreamers partial to (i) the manual gearbox, (ii) 2dr, (iii) prefer the off-road Rubicon, and (iv) have also alway pined for a stronger, touquier, more fuel-efficient engine (I currently have the inaugural 2012 3.6l Pentastar), what would you do:

1) give up, stop waiting for a diesel offering and get the 2019 2dr, manual Rubicon;
2) wait for the diesel and, assuming they ever bring it, likely have to give up on the manual tranny and perhaps the 2dr as well; or

We are still going with door number 2. But we were always planning on an 8 speed auto and four door anyway.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
IMHO, the 4 door is a superior vehicle in 99.999% of situations. It is also far more useful both in daily life AND on jeep trips, since you can take more stuff and head to more remote areas. Other than CERTAIN breakover situations which are almost nonexistant, the 4DR is superior offroad. So, I would definitely push you to the 4 door. Next...the ZF 8 speed is a quality, reliable, and stout transmission that's tried and true and is basically in almost every vehicle on the road. The manual in the JL (and JK) are bleh at best, don't play as well with large tires, have wear parts, and don't really have anything over the auto since the auto can be shifted manually and gear locked. This isn't a sports car, where I would be in FULL favor of rowing your own gears. As for the 2.0, while I love the small turbo engine, I absolutely don't want to deal with the FCA 48V system. God bless the owners that bought it, but quite simply, I just don't trust rushed, forced technology. It just smells of a reliability nightmare....so, if you are hellbent on getting a jeep now, and no longer want to wait for the 3.0, I'd get a 3.6.

Sponsored

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250

You should ask yourself why you want the diesel. The 2.0 and probably the 3.6 will be cheaper to operate based on fuel efficiency/fuel cost. Even the 48v system will be cheaper to repair outside of warranty than pretty much any of 3-4 critical systems on the diesel. The 2.0 will have that torquey feel on the highway like the diesel. Either gas engine will feel much more responsive off the line. Upfront cost on the diesel will probably be 2-3k more than the 2.0. The gas engines are lighter which makes them handle better off-road and on road. The diesel doesn’t even sound that much like a diesel anymore. Oil changes are cheaper on the gasser. No expensive fuel filter to change. Cheaper replacement options if you blow up a gasser out of warranty.

Advantages to a diesel: you can drive further on a tank on the highway or if towing. If you get in a wreck the diesel is less likely to burn. It won’t downshift as much if towing. You could maybe make your own diesel but the fuel system and after treatment may not like it long term.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Money isn't an issue in terms of the diesel for me. We own a GC diesel and it's been super reliable and cheap to maintain. Oil changes cost more if you bring it to the dealer, otherwise, just some more oil, no big deal. The main reason why I want it is the power, especially how a Jeep deals with lots of added weight. The range is also something I am very glad to get. Anyone that gets a diesel to save money is quite simply, an idiot.

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
There is a 2 door diesel available... it's a 2.2l. but maybe you don't get it in the US, only in Europe...

Compared to 2.0 turbo petrol it's approx 15 to 20% better on fuel. Jeep also offer a 5 year servicing and warranty plan here and the diesel is about 40% cheaper than the petrol for servicing over 5 years. Both diesel and petrol are priced the same to buy

toolaide4fit

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
Occupation
IT Manager
I am still waiting for the Diesel. I want the additional torque and the improved gas mileage. I own 2 Diesels right now and love them. I have a Mercedes SUV and Chevy 2500HD Diesel. I keep them a long time and they last if your take care of them. Cost is not important. I think the resale value of the Diesel will be a plus if I ever sell it. I hear they might be available to order around the June time frame. If I wait that long I may be temped to look at the Gladiator...but then I would have to wait for the Diesel for that and I don't think I have that much patience.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
I'm just going to lease a '19 JLUR for 24 months and then swap my mods over (which won't be many) when '21 MY is available. It'll give me time to test the waters with the 2.0 Turbo and see how the diesels end up.
Sponsored