Sponsored

JL diesel lift kit?

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
They got axle numbers from the JLUR EcoDiesel and compared it to a JTR Pentastar. Obviously the JT is significantly longer with a more robust frame and suspension in the rear and heavier tow hitch design.

JLUR: 2,680 lbs. steer axle, 2,400 drive axle, 5,080 total

JTR: 2,660 lbs. steer axle, 2,420 drive axle, 5,080 total

Pretty wild results. Jeep increased the diesel Wrangler GVWR to 6,100 so that it could still haul 5 people with it's 850 lb. payload. Otherwise you'd never be able to legally put 5 adults inside. Also, it appears that a lot of the extra weight is in the ancillary components that make the diesel possible like heavier axles, DEF tank and fluid, skid plating, etc. because the weight distribution is still reasonable.
Right but the assumption has been that most of the added JLU 3.0 weight is on the front axle. Some of us have questioned that given how much emissions equipment and skid plates are well behind the engine. Without a 2.0 or 3.6 JLU axle weight breakdown the debate goes on.
Sponsored

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
What’s the payload for 2.0 or 3.6?

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
The mopar spring numbers seem odd. Like the 4 door 3.6 has 4 different options, 2.0 has 3, and 3.0 has 2. I wonder why? I’d say mopar or spacer lift are good choices until everyone gets their hands on one and can make custom springs for 3.0. Spacer is luckily cheap if it’s gonna be replaced in 6 months.

Almost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JTRD
There is lots of variability due to engine options, top choice, trim and tow packages. JK was the same way and I think there was about 8 different spring sets. They tried to to figure out what was what on one of the Jk forums, but it almost seemed like whatever showed up at the factory that day is what they put in.

Sponsored

JMatt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
They got axle numbers from the JLUR EcoDiesel and compared it to a JTR Pentastar. Obviously the JT is significantly longer with a more robust frame and suspension in the rear and heavier tow hitch design.

JLUR: 2,680 lbs. steer axle, 2,400 drive axle, 5,080 total

JTR: 2,660 lbs. steer axle, 2,420 drive axle, 5,080 total
If this is accurate (and I don't doubt you) wouldn't the right choice for the diesel JLUR just be to use the JTUR springs people have already created kits for? I'm assuming - maybe wrongly - that the spring perches are physically the same?

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
If this is accurate (and I don't doubt you) wouldn't the right choice for the diesel JLUR just be to use the JTUR springs people have already created kits for? I'm assuming - maybe wrongly - that the spring perches are physically the same?
I can confirm that the front spring perches and shock mounts are identical to JL, but the rears are totally different. The JT rear stuff is more similar to the Ram 1500 as far as sharing parts goes.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Wouldn’t one also take into account front bumper and winch chosen? You’d think the factory steel bumper has some affect but never heard there being different suspension. Gets confusing.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Wouldn’t one also take into account front bumper and winch chosen? You’d think the factory steel bumper has some affect but never heard there being different suspension. Gets confusing.
They don’t add enough weight to warrant a different spring setup in my experience with factory steel front bumper and warn zeon 10s. My guess is most manufacturers of aftermarket lifts will give a load rating from their own testing...AEV for example runs their progressive rate coils up to some serious loads for overland use and their loft height doesn’t drop to the advertised 2.5” until you’ve got some serious hardware onboard.

9mmkungfu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD
For anyone who doesn't want to open the PDF, the part number is 77072399AB but when looking up that part number, I'm seeing 77072399AD as its replacement.

Sponsored

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
TFL put a diesel JLUR on the CAT scale and it went 5,080 lbs.(!). Compare that to the listed curb weight of a gas version at 4,450 lbs. and the difference is more than 600 lbs.(!) Ouch.
Yes. Listed at 4,450lb. That does not mean it actually is. Diesel is not listed as 5,080. I think it is listed below 5,000.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yes. Listed at 4,450lb. That does not mean it actually is. Diesel is not listed as 5,080. I think it is listed below 5,000.
My Sport with a couple of options was 4,200, so a Rubicon has to be at least 4,400. I'd say those listed numbers are pretty darn close.

As for TFL's tester, it's possible that they could have had a fully loaded one that added an extra 100 lbs. or so.

Still, the weight difference is HUGE between the two. The Ram 2500 has had rampant issues with the front suspension bushings wearing out quickly due to the weight of the diesel. This has been an issue for decades. I wonder how the suspension on the JL is going to cope with a 14% weight increase? Should be interesting.

Compression-Ignition

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0 Diesel, 2020 6.7L F350
My Sport with a couple of options was 4,200, so a Rubicon has to be at least 4,400. I'd say those listed numbers are pretty darn close.

As for TFL's tester, it's possible that they could have had a fully loaded one that added an extra 100 lbs. or so.

Still, the weight difference is HUGE between the two. The Ram 2500 has had rampant issues with the front suspension bushings wearing out quickly due to the weight of the diesel. This has been an issue for decades. I wonder how the suspension on the JL is going to cope with a 14% weight increase? Should be interesting.
Control arm bushings?

Ram front end problems with steering linkage, check. Ball joints, check. But bushings? Never heard tell of rampant issues there.

Anyhow, that's neither here no there. A higher quality bushing is a relatively simple matter to get installed, if needed.

Be nice if it wasn't necessary but most vehicles are lacking somewhere if you look close enough. Shoot I've got myself mentally prepared to replace the factory JL steering with a PSC setup. I also won't be surprised when the factory charging system shows us it's flaws and we decide to upgrade that as well.

Nothings perfect.

kosinar

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black JLUR 3.0 EcoDiesel received 3/6/20
Control arm bushings?

Ram front end problems with steering linkage, check. Ball joints, check. But bushings? Never heard tell of rampant issues there.

Anyhow, that's neither here no there. A higher quality bushing is a relatively simple matter to get installed, if needed.

Be nice if it wasn't necessary but most vehicles are lacking somewhere if you look close enough. Shoot I've got myself mentally prepared to replace the factory JL steering with a PSC setup. I also won't be surprised when the factory charging system shows us it's flaws and we decide to upgrade that as well.

Nothings perfect.
https://moparonlineparts.com/jeep-wrangler-performance-lift-door-engine-p-8973.html

"Coming soon", on Mopar website.

Gonzanc

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLURD, '76 FJ40, '17 BMW 650i Gran coupe
I spoke with Accutune and Evo Manufacturing yesterday morning and was informed that both companies will in fact have a diesel specific spring rate and was told they will be available "within a month" by both companies.

Hopefully this helps those of us who are on the fence.
Sponsored