Sponsored

JL Dana 30 & Dana 35 - how strong are they?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
You are going to love it. Makes a yuuuge difference
I had a Powertrax? locker in a 69 Camaro in the 90’s. I’m concerned about abrupt disengaging and re-engagement in curves, especially on slippery surfaces. How’s that going for you?

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I had a Powertrax? locker in a 69 Camaro in the 90’s. I’m concerned about abrupt disengaging and re-engagement in curves, especially on slippery surfaces. How’s that going for you?
My front locker (Torq d30 locker) isn't good for on-road use at all. I got a chance to try it on-road this past winter when we had that big freeze in TX. I found myself taking the Jeep out of 4wd on patchy ice when I would have normally left it in 4wd had it been an open front diff.

Off-road however, it turned my Jeep into a goat. Goes anywhere.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Wonder if I can find a place to do all the greasing for me. I have to grease my tie rod, drag link and drive shaft as it is when doing an oil change. At least those things are easily accessible for me. I don't do my own tire rotation because my driveway is on a hill. If I can could get a shop to grease the axle when they rotate my tires or let me do it then problem solved. Otherwise I'll have to go to a friend's house or something just to grease my rcv axle.
Reading the description again, they say all you need to do to access the lube fitting is remove the Jeep center cap on the wheel making wheel removal unnecessary. You could still use a better place to lube the other parts it sounds like.

REDSEAL199

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Highaltitude 4xe
Is the Rubi axle the same on the 4xe minus the gear ratio? I know the 4xe is 3:73

Sponsored

SmoothJeepOperator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler Sport
Reading the description again, they say all you need to do to access the lube fitting is remove the Jeep center cap on the wheel making wheel removal unnecessary. You could still use a better place to lube the other parts it sounds like.
Yea but my center cap wont come off unless i remove the wheel first. stinks... I know there are wheels where you can remove the center cap without taking the wheel off, but i dont want to spend money on new wheels just for that.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Yea but my center cap wont come off unless i remove the wheel first. stinks... I know there are wheels where you can remove the center cap without taking the wheel off, but i dont want to spend money on new wheels just for that.
Ah, I was thinking stock wheels. Yeah, that would be a pain. Dana makes HD replacements.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
how are people doing with their d30s?. ive decided to put a selectable front locker in mine. 3.45gears and I am on 33s falkens.Will likely bump to 34s but no bigger than that.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
how are people doing with their d30s?. ive decided to put a selectable front locker in mine. 3.45gears and I am on 33s falkens.Will likely bump to 34s but no bigger than that.
I can’t say I’ve really pushed mine. 4.56’s, 34.5” tires, RCV’s, stock open diff, Motobilt cover. I’ve gone over some 17” boulders but I didn’t need throttle to get up and over. I’m curious what the limit is though.

With my setup, I decided keeping it open but being able to crank the wheels without skipping would help stability in certain hairy situations and keep or even better my turning radius. Strength too although I’m sure I’ve just moved the weak point to the very small gears.

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I can’t say I’ve really pushed mine. 4.56’s, 34.5” tires, RCV’s, stock open diff, Motobilt cover. I’ve gone over some 17” boulders but I didn’t need throttle to get up and over. I’m curious what the limit is though.

With my setup, I decided keeping it open but being able to crank the wheels without skipping would help stability in certain hairy situations and keep turning radius. Strength too.
i get stuck too much on rocky climbs where locked jeeps get through with ease. i am always able to pull through without winching but it requires skinny pedal, momentum.

i think i am gonna lock mine and get a pair of maxtracs. i am gonna try to wheel with finesse, i am too rough with the open diffs and i feel it isnt safe. if locked and with finesse I cant get through something I can pull the maxtracs. if thats not enough, I am winching.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
i get stuck too much on rocky climbs where locked jeeps get through with ease. i am always able to pull through without winching but it requires skinny pedal, momentum.

i think i am gonna lock mine and get a pair of maxtracs. i am gonna try to wheel with finesse, i am too rough with the open diffs and i feel it isnt safe. if locked and with finesse I cant get through something I can pull the maxtracs. if thats not enough, I am winching.
Oh and tires as another factor. Like a slick on a drag car, aggressive MT’s and maybe tires like my BB AT’s will be harder on the driveline? But…maybe they will bite better to not need throttle to get over the obstacle??

Last edited:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oh and tires as another factor. Like a slick on a drag car, aggressive MT’s and maybe tires like my BB AT’s will be harder on the driveline? But…maybe they will bite big to not need throttle to get over the obstacle??
yeah. i have a feeling that trying to get through an obstacle that requires lockers with open diffs and momentum is more likely to end up breaking something.
Sponsored