JL Creeps forward while in Neutral - Auto Trans

ForzaNature

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport V6 3.6L Auto - Noticed something strange at the car wash today. I put the car in (N)eutral and when I took my foot off the brake I began rolling forward. Hit the brake to stop, release the brake and started to roll forward again. Only way to stop this rolling forward was to put the transfer case in Neutral.

So, I took it home and parked on a flat grade....sure enough when I sat in Neutral it rolled forward. But it's not really "in gear", because if I shift into drive, I can feel the transmission engage and then it rolls forward a little faster. So, I pulled into the driveway which has a good upward incline. I shift into N and it rolls back fast as you would expect. I shift to D and it operates normally.

What would cause the Jeep to creep forward in Neutral?? As I said, it's not in D because I can feel it engage as I shift into D. It's as if there's a "leakage" or something where the torque converter is able to drive the transmission very lightly even though I am in Neutral.

If you've seen this before, I'd love to hear what you know.
Sponsored

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
2019 sounds like a warrantee item i would bring to the dealer.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
Take it in - that’s not what I’d consider normal behavior

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
does your carwash by chance tell you to put it in neutral because a chock on a belt moves the car through the wash in a jerking manner?

asking for others.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
does your carwash by chance tell you to put it in neutral because a chock on a belt moves the car through the wash in a jerking manner?

asking for others.
At one of those car wash stations, you'd want the transmission in park and the t-case in neutral. That also goes for being winched onto a flatbed tow truck or pulled behind an rv.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ForzaNature

ForzaNature

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL

asking for others.
yes.

OP
OP
ForzaNature

ForzaNature

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport JL
At one of those car wash stations, you'd want the transmission in park and the t-case in neutral. That also goes for being winched onto a flatbed tow truck or pulled behind an rv.
Agree. It was after towing behind the RV a few times that I noticed this behavior. But, I'm not sure it wasn't the condition before I ever towed it. I played around with it this weekend. I can rev the engine and it has no effect on the speed of the creep. In fact, I can shift into N, pull the parking brake and rev the engine and feel no pressure or 'lurching' against the brake. I've never seen this in any vehicle I've owned. My research so far seems to indicate a tight "front clutch." Honestly. I'm not sure it's anything to be concerned about (I can just put the TCase into N) so I thought I'd check in with this group.

Zukoda

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport
I'd be curious as to how much "force" was behind the creeping... I'd probably have the wife put in Neutral and try to hold the vehicle myself on level ground. If easily stopped by hand, I'd probably not worry about it, but if it requires a significant push to hold it in place, I'd take in and have fixed. Wouldn't want another Anton Yelchin incident...

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Agree. It was after towing behind the RV a few times that I noticed this behavior. But, I'm not sure it wasn't the condition before I ever towed it. I played around with it this weekend. I can rev the engine and it has no effect on the speed of the creep. In fact, I can shift into N, pull the parking brake and rev the engine and feel no pressure or 'lurching' against the brake. I've never seen this in any vehicle I've owned. My research so far seems to indicate a tight "front clutch." Honestly. I'm not sure it's anything to be concerned about (I can just put the TCase into N) so I thought I'd check in with this group.
In the very least, it may be worth mentioning and having it logged with a dealer, if not being looked into further. There shouldn't be any pull at all when the tyranny is in neutral. The autopark safety feature is why the jeep won't roll freely with the trans in neutral and no one sitting in the driver seat.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I thought for carwashes you just slid it into neutral. There were a couple threads on here about it. I am sure that Jeep, in their history of being thorough and consumer oriented, thought about car washes and wouldnt require customers (most who use automated car washes, and most who dont off road and never get past 4H) to use the transfer case shifter instead of the habit formed main shifter

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My car wash is in my driveway-but have seen the other threads

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I am aware of this...mentioned bc...

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
I thought for carwashes you just slid it into neutral. There were a couple threads on here about it. I am sure that Jeep, in their history of being thorough and consumer oriented, thought about car washes and wouldnt require customers (most who use automated car washes, and most who dont off road and never get past 4H) to use the transfer case shifter instead of the habit formed main shifter
I will also add to my previous post, I don't think automated car washes that push you forward require the transfer case to be in neutral. Nothing in the Owners Manual indicates needing to do this, as opposed to explicitly stating to put the vehicle in park and the transfer case in neutral for flat-towing.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will also add to my previous post, I don't think automated car washes that push you forward require the transfer case to be in neutral. Nothing in the Owners Manual indicates needing to do this, as opposed to explicitly stating to put the vehicle in park and the transfer case in neutral for flat-towing.
I never used one of those automated carwashes. But having to leave it in neutral means that the conveyor system is chocking and pulling one wheel, while the rest roll. Unless someone was sitting in the driver's seat, autopark would kick in. I recall reading about this happening to a member here.

Thanks in large part to the young Anton Yelchin, we can no longer run ourselves over with a neutral transmission. If feeling frisky, we've gotta grab the t-case lever.

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Put my JT in N, no creeping or rolling. On a slight incline, it rolls backwars. Seems to work just fine

Oh and since shifting the main gears is done electronically, I would fathom a guess that the reason you can be in regular N and no need for putting the transfer case in N for car washes, but need to do so for flat towing, is because the vehicle is on in the former and off in the later
Sponsored

Last edited: