Sponsored

JL Crash Tests

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
It is just a bad sensor. That could happen to any car any time (and it does a lot if you google it.) Not really a problem with assembly line manufacturing. I got email from Jeep Cares yesterday and they promised to call today with information. And my dealer stepped up with a loaner car. All will be well soon.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepster2018

Jeepster2018

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI
That is a pathetic dealership.

If I were you I would call out the dealership here so others know to avoid it.

Make sure you look at the lemon laws. Even still, I think in some states you can return a new car in so many days for a refund.

You paid all that money - why start this shitshow?

Phyz

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Nissan Frontier NISMO
How informative can n = 1 crash tests on some very specific scenarios be? Is it really possible to extrapolate from these to real world situations that can be very different?
I'll take IIHS's n = 1 over n = "some dude on the Internet said". YMMV. Who's gonna watch the '95-'99 Dodge Neon test and tell us, "Good enough for my son/daughter!"

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Maybe I dreamt it, but I swear that I saw a video of a JL being crash tested. It was the typical frontal quarter panel impact. What caught my eye was that the jeep didn't just crumple up...it sort of deflected off to the side away from the impact block. I had not seen an impact test before where the vehicle didn't just come to an instant stop but sort of bounced away diagonally. The front corner did squash as expected without the engine penetrating the cabin.
As other people mentioned, one safety factor with the Jeep is that it sits so much higher than most regular cars. When the front bumper hits the other car...the other car's upper frame is easily crumpled. The Jeep's bumper is designed for a strong impact. Most cars' front is designed to crumple to absorb the impact energy. I had a Camaro rear end my full size van, which had a cat 3 hitch. He drove his car under my van completely crumpling his hood and everything above the cylinders on the engine. It essentially totally his car...I had about $1K damages...mainly cosmetic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I think the IIHS does some good and valuable work, but the government rating system is designed to make you think small cars are safer than large ones or trucks. They engage in politics to deny physics. I lost a student this week in a small car (Honda) that had a 5 star side impact rating. It was T-boned by a Saturn Vue SUV. Sadly, he was killed almost instantly, along with his sister, who was driving. My 2008 JK is rated marginal. I'm sorry, but I'd take that Jeep any day of the week over a Civic if I knew I was going to be T-boned. No contest.

Hey, who has that video of the JL crash test? Please post the link. I'd love to see it!

Sponsored

Phyz

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Nissan Frontier NISMO
Maybe I dreamt it, but I swear that I saw a video of a JL being crash tested. It was the typical frontal quarter panel impact. What caught my eye was that the jeep didn't just crumple up...it sort of deflected off to the side away from the impact block. I had not seen an impact test before where the vehicle didn't just come to an instant stop but sort of bounced away diagonally. The front corner did squash as expected without the engine penetrating the cabin.
Such as

As you described. But not a JL.

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
I think the IIHS does some good and valuable work, but the government rating system is designed to make you think small cars are safer than large ones or trucks. They engage in politics to deny physics. I lost a student this week in a small car (Honda) that had a 5 star side impact rating. It was T-boned by a Saturn Vue SUV. Sadly, he was killed almost instantly, along with his sister, who was driving. My 2008 JK is rated marginal. I'm sorry, but I'd take that Jeep any day of the week over a Civic if I knew I was going to be T-boned. No contest.

Hey, who has that video of the JL crash test? Please post the link. I'd love to see it!
Thinking of you, your staff and students. Loss in a school community is so painful...

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thinking of you, your staff and students. Loss in a school community is so painful...
Thank you so much. It has been a nightmare, but our community is really strong and has wrapped around the family, and that has been a blessing in the midst of it all.

rommel102

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ocean Blue Sahara 2.0 JLU FINALLY HERE!
I dont think jeeps ever had a "good" crash test rating lol...but i can tell you my 2000 killed a brand new at that time 2013 Camaro SS....dumbass in front of me pulled one of those "oh i need to get over right now for this exit" moves while she hit the brakes and I ended up parking my front bumper in her back seat. The TJ just had battle scars in the form of paint damage and my winch power box was ripped off but that was it...airbags did not even pop.
Old thread but was skimming...anecdotally I was in several accidents in my '98 TJ and was able to drive away from all of them, including a doozy where some genius on his phone in a 90's Ford Thunderbird tried to make a left at a light that I was travelling through at 40 mph. Barely touched the brakes, totally destroyed the T-Bird. Luckily there was no one in the passenger seat because I pushed the door halfway into the seat itself. The transmission was dragging on the ground as they pulled it up onto the flatbed.

I had minor damage to the original steel bumper and front fenders. Cop asked me if I needed a tow and I looked at the Jeep, pulled some bent plastic fender flare out of the wheel well, and said "nope, I'm good".

Got myself a nice new Warn bumper/bull combo with winchplate after that.

MiniMedic_17

First Name
Amanda
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Paramedic
Vehicle Showcase
This just happened in Raleigh NC last night or early this morning. I can’t tell if it’s a JL or a JK, but driver is in Critical Condition and passenger is apparently okay. The Jeep is a mess, definitely looks like speed was an obvious factor.

5568AFAD-8F15-46F2-868D-F139188216F8.jpeg

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
This just happened in Raleigh NC last night or early this morning. I can’t tell if it’s a JL or a JK, but driver is in Critical Condition and passenger is apparently okay. The Jeep is a mess, definitely looks like speed was an obvious factor.

5568AFAD-8F15-46F2-868D-F139188216F8.jpeg
It's obviously a JK, look at the push button handles.

Smarrtazz

First Name
Trina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lagertha 2018 JLUR Sting Gray ;)

A little late, but my sincerest condolences.

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Does anyone know when the crash test results will be in? I'm really curious, I think the results will be better than any previous Wrangler model. :like: