First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep jl sport
Occupation
Has waste process engineering
To start I really like my Jeep, I think the engineers have done a great job. What surprised me was all the corrosion that is showing up where the hinges mount. All except 2 hinges have bubbling paint on the panel they are bolted to. I removed 1 hinge to find the door is not painted under them.
Obviously this was to speed up the assembly process.
Now I am fighting with FCA to get the paint fixed. The dealerships don't want to help because I'm over 60,000 km , I'm at 76,000 in 2.5 years.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL corrosion D02A82DD-6AEC-4EEE-8338-E9BF9193CF1B

C490D7C6-FA01-4E74-A759-6F0B8DDB68DD.jpeg
Sponsored

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
You'd think by now Jeep would know how to properly prep door hinges.

JEEP FAN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue, 2018 RAM REBEL Crew Cab 4x4, 2018 Dodge Journey SXT AWD
Occupation
Enjoying our fist Jeep.......
I just found bubbling around the hinges on 3 of my doors today too. Not impressed!!!:mad:

Sponsored

JEEP FAN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue, 2018 RAM REBEL Crew Cab 4x4, 2018 Dodge Journey SXT AWD
Occupation
Enjoying our fist Jeep.......
I just discovered the bubbling around the hinges on 3 of my doors today too. Mine is only 19 months and 36,000 Kim’s. I’ll be visiting the dealer too. This is unacceptable for the price of these vehicles!

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The white stuff is galvanic corrosion. Bad stuff. Will spread under the paint and pop the paint off.

Should be using some sort of inert coating/pad between the metal types, and inert material bolts.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
also its covered under warranty
Not after the warranty expires. Then we are all S.O.L.. This is going to be a long term problem, with every JL, that is exposed to water. The fix needs to be done correctly, at every hinge on the vehicle.

JLJeeper

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2021 2-Door
Occupation
Retired
:LOL: :CWL: :LOL: I see you have never owned a TJ! My TJ looks at stuff like that on my JL and thinks its a protective coating. It gets jealous and let's another bolt rust off.
I remember my 01 TJ days. Por15 was its best friend- all to no avail. After 19 years of what I thought was good care the frame totally rotted out. Sure hope my new JL is fairs better :whew:

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Not after the warranty expires. Then we are all S.O.L.. This is going to be a long term problem, with every JL, that is exposed to water. The fix needs to be done correctly, at every hinge on the vehicle.

It is not a water issue. It is a galvanic corrosion issue because the hinge and the door are dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel). Through a process called electron sharing. the proper fix is to isolate the 2 metal types through paint or another type of isolation. then the problem will stop

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
It is not a water issue. It is a galvanic corrosion issue because the hinge and the door are dissimilar metals (aluminum and steel). Through a process called electron sharing. the proper fix is to isolate the 2 metal types through paint or another type of isolation. then the problem will stop
The two dry metals alone will not cause the reaction. You need an electrolyte to transfer the reaction, between them. That would be moisture.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The two dry metals alone will not cause the reaction. You need an electrolyte to transfer the reaction, between them. That would be moisture.
I’m not absolutely sure you need an electrolyte 100% of the time for a reaction. Sure, that will accelerate the reaction and make it happen within hours instead of a year or two. But water or no water it will still happen, in my opinion, the process will just be very very slow and it will be long-term.

I would paint the interior hinges myself with some red primer on my one-month-old 2021 right now if I knew how to remove the hinge without messing up all the paint on the bolts.
Sponsored