Nose Picker

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
I'm dealing with this for a second time after having it repaired earlier this year. :mad:

I wonder if Paint Protection Film under the hinges to separate the dissimilar metals would help.
  1. You’re trying to isolate the dissimilar metals.
  2. You put film between the hinge and the door.
  3. Now what about those pesky metal torx bolts?
Nice plan until #3

Pesky bolts

Whisky19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru, JEEP!!!!!!!
What would happen, if you flood the gap between the door and the hinges in regular intervals with some penetrating oil or body-cavity sealing or liquid wax.
May be this will work as a dividng layer.
If so you do not have to remove the bolts and they wouldn´t be harmed.

What do you think about this idea?
This is a good idea and I do this around the hinges when I detail it. I use Turtle Wax Ceramic spray and soak around the hinges and wipe off. Doesn’t eliminate the issue but at least offers some protection.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Reading through this post and other like it elsewhere I am completely baffled as to how this can be a thing today. How is there not a recall for this? How is FCA selling vehicles that average 40-50K in the numbers they sell them not getting bombarded with complaints to they point they HAVE to do something?

This is really disturbing to me as a new Wrangler owner. Like to the point where I"m really second guessing my decision to buy one.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The dissimilar metals issue is only part of the problem....what about the complaints on this forum about paint bubbles elsewhere on panels. Something is failing in the application process. I don’t have the problem, but my Jeep is only 8 months old. What we don’t know is how widespread the issue actually is. It might actually be rare....but forums open up a lot of opportunities to share.

rotlex

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The dissimilar metals issue is only part of the problem....what about the complaints on this forum about paint bubbles elsewhere on panels. Something is failing in the application process. I don’t have the problem, but my Jeep is only 8 months old. What we don’t know is how widespread the issue actually is. It might actually be rare....but forums open up a lot of opportunities to share.
This could be very true, regarding the wide spread of it. I'm a new Wrangler owner, 3 months now, with zero issues. (knock on wood). While I'm getting frustrated reading about it on forums, I also know at least a half dozen Wrangler owners personally that have never seen nor heard of this issue. Jeeps ranging from 2-10 years old.

In the end I guess who knows. Can just keep praying I don't see it, or that it is still within the warranty period if it happens.

2020OceanBlue

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
To start I really like my Jeep, I think the engineers have done a great job. What surprised me was all the corrosion that is showing up where the hinges mount. All except 2 hinges have bubbling paint on the panel they are bolted to. I removed 1 hinge to find the door is not painted under them.
Obviously this was to speed up the assembly process.
Now I am fighting with FCA to get the paint fixed. The dealerships don't want to help because I'm over 60,000 km , I'm at 76,000 in 2.5 years.
D02A82DD-6AEC-4EEE-8338-E9BF9193CF1B.jpeg

C490D7C6-FA01-4E74-A759-6F0B8DDB68DD.jpeg
How about some type of gasket, composit, rubber, something, between the hinge and the door, and some aircraft quality aluminum bolts.

Thoughts?

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018. Zero issues with bubbling, and my Jeep sits outside constantly, in southwest Florida tropical humidity and rain. Why?

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
How about some type of gasket, composit, rubber, something, between the hinge and the door, and some aircraft quality aluminum bolts.

Thoughts?
That and epoxy painting the bare metal on the door. Depends if the issue is paint adhesion related or galvanic corrosion. I think both issues can happen....and sometimes no issues.

Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2018. Zero issues with bubbling, and my Jeep sits outside constantly, in southwest Florida tropical humidity and rain. Why?
I wish I knew. I'm in southeastern Florida, and my Jeep is garage kept with under 8,000 miles on it. It's going in for it's second repair to the passenger door and first repair to the drivers door. :(

I think the robot that primers the body must have been having a bad day when mine was painted.

It may not be totally related to dissimilar metals. A few folks have posted in the other thread, that they are having corrosion issues on the edge of the hood and what looks like the door jam.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL corrosion xA696D796-5DA5-4831-BCE6-E6E810ED6017
Jeep Wrangler JL JL corrosion x455B7A5C-6556-4B95-8EBD-EB65E2C4F69A

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Because you are lucky??

Wkaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara
pop the hinges and smear some of this on the surface and reinstall with stainless hard ware. Do it once a year or every time you put the doors on. It 'll ooze out slowly but just wipes off with a rag. I use on all hardware, it act's as a anti corrosion and anti seize.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL corrosion 6YH33_AS01

MDRubicon

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Wrangler
Check your tailgate too, this is from my new 21 JLUR - no paint/clear coat by the hinge, which is exposed to the elements.

145A3EF4-28B2-4D9D-98D9-8D6834B5A8AA.jpeg

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
pop the hinges and smear some of this on the surface and reinstall with stainless hard ware. Do it once a year or every time you put the doors on. It 'll ooze out slowly but just wipes off with a rag. I use on all hardware, it act's as a anti corrosion and anti seize.
Jeep Wrangler JL JL corrosion 145A3EF4-28B2-4D9D-98D9-8D6834B5A8AA
Do they even make Stainless Hardware, for the JL??
Sponsored