Sponsored

JL corrosion

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Galvanic corrosion. 2 dissimilar metals cause electron transfer from one metal to the other. OR one is giving stuff up to the other. One acts as a cathode (electron receiver) the other acts as an anode (electron loser).

Aluminum is a preferred sacrificial anode in certain applications such as submerged or buried metals.

Fix: don’t get your Jeep damp or dirty.

ADD an electrolyte and you have a battery.

Picture of sacrificial anode.

An argument (electrolytic one) could be made that: It’s supposed to do that!

CBFD5C55-95CF-4D7F-963B-BD60165BBB5E.jpeg
Would one of these anodes need to be on each door, and hood??

Sponsored

Tdurden032

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I get freaked out at the thought of my rubi corroding/rusting - we get a ton of moisture here in the Midwest and they heavily salt the roads when it looks remotely like it could snow, all of which equals bad news for metal...

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
Would one of these anodes need to be on each door, and hood??

You’d have to somehow put a magnesium anode slug on each aluminum piece of body work. Magnesium is less noble than aluminum. The slugs would corrode first. You’d have good paint and a bunch of corroded magnesium slugs on your rig. Your call.

ralf-o

First Name
Ralf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door Wrangler JL Rubicon - MY20
What would happen, if you flood the gap between the door and the hinges in regular intervals with some penetrating oil or body-cavity sealing or liquid wax.
May be this will work as a dividng layer.
If so you do not have to remove the bolts and they wouldn´t be harmed.

What do you think about this idea?

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm dealing with this for a second time after having it repaired earlier this year. :mad:

I wonder if Paint Protection Film under the hinges to separate the dissimilar metals would help.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'm dealing with this for a second time after having it repaired earlier this year. :mad:

I wonder if Paint Protection Film under the hinges to separate the dissimilar metals would help.
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. If the two metals are no longer physically in contact, I don’t see how they will continue to transfer electrons and continue to corrode. This may be a great idea and easier to implement than priming and paining under each hinge...

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Between my grille turning yellow (white JLU) and now this, beginning to wonder if buying this JLU was a mistake. It's amazing that after all this time FCA still can't get simple things right. Not impressed at this point anyway...

HardSell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 Built Rubicon replaced modestly built stolen '87 XJ
Occupation
Nose Picker
beginning to wonder if buying this JLU was a mistake.
So sorry. My '87 XJ had just under 300k on the clock before it was stolen; not even a pimple of rust on it. Something's seriously wrong when after 33 years, FCA is running the clock backwards selling $60,000 units and 1940s type rust issues emerge.

emptyminded42

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hellayella JLU Sport S 6MT, Forester XT
Occupation
Engineer
I don’t see why that wouldn’t work. If the two metals are no longer physically in contact, I don’t see how they will continue to transfer electrons and continue to corrode. This may be a great idea and easier to implement than priming and paining under each hinge...
That won't work because the water will flow over the edge of the PPF and maintain contact between the dissimilar metals.

Only way to really prevent it is to have a nonconductive finish on both parts, 100% coverge, and/or perform a fillet seal with rubber or epoxy such that there is absolutely no water intrusion in the joint. It appears the paint does not create a waterproof seal, so you're left with the oh-so-appealing idea of using something like a Permatex gasket maker to seal all the way around where the hinge is attached to the door. That'll look great for those of us with bright colors.

If Jeep had actually done proper surface treatment of both parts this wouldn't be a problem.

Sponsored

DarkAardvark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ, 2021 JLR
If Jeep had actually done proper surface treatment of both parts this wouldn't be a problem.
Do we know if they've since changed their production methods? My Jeep just rolled off the assembly line this week. I'm curious if I'll have issues or if they've fixed it yet

ArielPR

First Name
Zed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD

I think you have the right idea, some type of rubber gasket.

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
Do we know if they've since changed their production methods? My Jeep just rolled off the assembly line this week. I'm curious if I'll have issues or if they've fixed it yet
Wow... didn't you order like 2 months ago or am I mistaken?

R4D4R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKU
To start I really like my Jeep, I think the engineers have done a great job. What surprised me was all the corrosion that is showing up where the hinges mount. All except 2 hinges have bubbling paint on the panel they are bolted to. I removed 1 hinge to find the door is not painted under them.
Obviously this was to speed up the assembly process.
Now I am fighting with FCA to get the paint fixed. The dealerships don't want to help because I'm over 60,000 km , I'm at 76,000 in 2.5 years.
D02A82DD-6AEC-4EEE-8338-E9BF9193CF1B.jpeg

C490D7C6-FA01-4E74-A759-6F0B8DDB68DD.jpeg
No paint between door and hinge on parts that are know to have this issue. Thats both dumb and lazy, FCA, or whatever youre calling yourselves these days
Sponsored