First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Class action lawsuits are Bullshit and only the lawyers get paid. The plaintifs of get some pittance like a worthless $1000 certificate to use when you trade on another Jeep product.
Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
How did the OP get the two hinge bolts out without TFU the paint.

wonder if one could apply PPF between the door and the hinge.

Disappointing they dont paint the surface of the door where it contacts the hinge.
When taking hinges off, you will slightly damage paint on bolts where socket inserts. Chip some paint.

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
It's not just around the door hinges... I have it on the bottom of the door

Sponsored

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Any ideas on a process for possible preventative maintenance?
I.e. what would you suggest for cleaning things up before applying a layer of paint, etc.?

My thought is that you could do a hinge at a time and clean up any corrosion currently there. For those lucky few to catch it early, it might prevent headaches down the line.

I'll be checking mine today, but I'm afraid damage would already be done as it's a early 2018 and has had plenty of time to sit and bake.

ImAJeepskate

First Name
Grant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport (JLU)
Any ideas on a process for possible preventative maintenance?
I.e. what would you suggest for cleaning things up before applying a layer of paint, etc.?

My thought is that you could do a hinge at a time and clean up any corrosion currently there. For those lucky few to catch it early, it might prevent headaches down the line.

I'll be checking mine today, but I'm afraid damage would already be done as it's a early 2018 and has had plenty of time to sit and bake.
Just sand thoroughly and spray with a self etching primer. Make sure its self etching.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Also keep in mind that Jeeps paint adhesion is poor. Keep your spray coats light so not to bubble up you OEM paint (in spots where paint meets not painted surface).

Sponsored

swish77

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S 2-Door
When taking hinges off, you will slightly damage paint on bolts where socket inserts. Chip some paint.
Perhaps, but I guess it would come down to whether I want a couple of paint chips on bolts or corrosion and bubbling paint. I vote for a couple of nicked-up bolts.

I just got a 2021 Wrangler Sport S 2-door. Depressing that I now need to worry about this on a new $40K-plus vehicle. At least the 2-door doesn't have as many hinges.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Also keep in mind that Jeeps paint adhesion is poor. Keep your spray coats light so not to bubble up you OEM paint (in spots where paint meets not painted surface).
I planned on taping off the area with a very very small overlap near where the hinges would be when re-mounted (i.e. won't be seen). Then applying just enough light coats to get the job done.

I'd only do one hinge at a time to avoid door alignment issues, etc.

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Just checked my 2 year old JLR in my garage here in MN, and my Ruby does not have this. However, I did pay the dealer an obscene $500 or $800 for a small device that applies an electrical charge to prevent corrosion at any paint gaps. Maybe it's actually working?!

• Wow
Reactions: GtX

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Just checked my 2 year old JLR in my garage here in MN, and my Ruby does not have this. However, I did pay the dealer an obscene $500 or $800 for a small device that applies an electrical charge to prevent corrosion at any paint gaps. Maybe it's actually working?!
From everything I have read, it does not work on cars because you need continuous electric loop via water, from one electrode to the other.

Duck Dodgers

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door
Galvanic corrosion. 2 dissimilar metals cause electron transfer from one metal to the other. OR one is giving stuff up to the other. One acts as a cathode (electron receiver) the other acts as an anode (electron loser).

Aluminum is a preferred sacrificial anode in certain applications such as submerged or buried metals.

Fix: don’t get your Jeep damp or dirty.

ADD an electrolyte and you have a battery.

Picture of sacrificial anode.

An argument (electrolytic one) could be made that: It’s supposed to do that!

CBFD5C55-95CF-4D7F-963B-BD60165BBB5E.jpeg
Sponsored