Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Very cool, prefer the non flap version. Also glad you are just down the freeway
Thanks .. as you know "local" is a relative term in SoCal … I do the hump from Rancho Cucamonga to Long Beach 5 days a week, but it is nice to see more and more JLs on the roads here everyday

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
For those that may be looking for something smaller, just for a phone … here is the prototype phone holsters. One pic is with a Galaxy Note 8 with an Otter Box .. so it is huge, another pic with a iPhone7 and another empty to show the bolt cover and access. I am sure some will wonder why I chose the color I did … well I already had the air brush out for another project and I am basically lazy. Again this is a prototype, there are a couple of stitch lines I have to move as well as the 1941 logo is in a major stretch spot.

JL PH Emp.jpg

JL PH iPhone 7.jpg

JL PH Note 8.jpg

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Here are the saddle bags in black with red stitching .. again still protos so there are a couple of areas to clean up. I wanted to maximize any available space with the latest so there is also a comparison between the original version and version 2

JL SB B-R.jpg

JL SB Size Comparison.jpg

Sponsored

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I really like the saddle bags. I was just thinking, how do they attach to the console?

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
I really like the saddle bags. I was just thinking, how do they attach to the console?
Hey TJ, on the sides of the lower center console towards the front you will see a round plastic disc. If you pop the disc off, behind it is a bolt that attaches the center console to the body (one on each side). You remove the bolt with a 10mm socket and I supply a new longer screw and spacer .. so basically they are bolted to the center console without any vehicle mods. If you look closely at the top picture of the phone holster (the one without a phone in it) you can see the basic location (I have a black plastic screw cover on this one)

StrikeZ

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Hey TJ, on the sides of the lower center console towards the front you will see a round plastic disc. If you pop the disc off, behind it is a bolt that attaches the center console to the body (one on each side). You remove the bolt with a 10mm socket and I supply a new longer screw and spacer .. so basically they are bolted to the center console without any vehicle mods. If you look closely at the top picture of the phone holster (the one without a phone in it) you can see the basic location (I have a black plastic screw cover on this one)
Ingenious!

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, Rubicon, Mojito
Prototype only as these are far from perfect, but I thought I would get some opinions as to overall concept, design and usefulness. Seems like there is always a need to find a place for small items. These are little center console "saddle bags" that mounted without any vehicle mods. Passenger side also has a black "Altoids" tin that holds small objects, loose change, can be used as an EDC pack etc. Items such as sunglasses, my old man reading glasses etc. can be placed either inside the bag or the temples can be slid thru the top strap. These will hold items such as a small flashlight, tactical pen, papers etc. etc. etc. Inside width is a little less than an inch so they do not interfere with driver leg placement. If you have any thoughts or critique, I would love to hear it .. I've got pretty thick skin ... but you can PM me if you would like

JL SC SB.jpg

JL SB Bench.jpg
I love them!

Can you add a ring, to clip your key holster to?

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Would be nice to have options on thread color for those of us with non-Rubicons. I have a Mojito Moab so red thread would be a no for me, but if white then a definite maybe! :like:
(Agreed. I’d want green thread, like my holster)

Sponsored

ResponsibleAdult

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guys, the prototyping continues.
Here is what we are up to. I have tried various designs and materials (waxed canvas, buffalo, canvas gussets etc.) and each has let me to up to this. This version is hard molded, but it is a pancake mold and fits the space better. It is a little larger as well. I have some pretty good size hands and can easily reach anything inside.
I put the flap on to help keep items out of site (especially if top/doors are off. I did not want a buckle (because they are a pain) so, there is a leather clasp. which is easy to open/close. The flap is removable (held on by 3 Chicago screws) if someone did not wand the flap on.
Note: this was made with scrap leather hence the pretty cool scar on the flap.... I am probably the only one that likes scarred up leather .. I think it adds character.
Take note of where the bag is by the pics and your seat position; as this may not work for those with the seats pretty far forward. Also, I am not sure about 2 doors with folding the front seat up either
The boss lady is going to try it out this week and she is pretty critical, so we will see what her experience is
Please let me know your thoughts, critique

20190121_101852.jpg

20190121_101908.jpg
I’m really liking this. An open one of the passenger side that can fit a phone, and a closed on the drivers (with that ring to clip the holster to), in Mojito thread, and I’d order a set!

(I also like scarred leather. It adds interest, and reminds us that our leather comes from an animal that experienced something to put the scar there.)

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
I will be offering both the saddle bags and the phone holsters. I want to make a couple little pattern adjustments before I post them for sale and also determine final pricing. I should have the phone holsters posted later today or tomorrow, the saddle bags will take a little more time. Note: the saddle bags will not be cheap .. a lot of leather and a lot of time.
Both will likely be offered with black, red or green thread. White is still an issue due to dye transfer during wet molding so this will not initially be available. I do have on order some white … believe it or not … glow in the dark thread (glows green). I am going to give this a shot when I get it in to see if transfer is an issue with it as well as how it works.
@ResponsibleAdult , the glow in the dark thread may interest you. I will not be adding an extra loop, however if you decide to take the flap off as it is removable, the metal loop for the clasp will still be on the bag.

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
For those that are interested in only a place to put your phone, I am offering these JL Phone Holsters that mount to the center console. Right now I am only offering the driver side version (pass side offerings coming) They are available in black with either black, red or green thread. I have more information on my website and I will also start a dedicated thread for them on here. They are available on my website www.gibsonleatherworks.com If you have any questions you can PM me or shoot me an email at [email protected]

JL CC PHs.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.