Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
Great job Marc: some either stupid or constructive thoughts: on the design you show on the driver's side, would it help (it may not, I don't know) if the sides incorporated some elastic somehow. Perhaps this is dumb or interferes with the ruggedness of your all leather design but what makes me say this is my inner monologue saying, "so I'm reaching in there with my right hand's pointer and thumb fingers....but I can't get down to the change that sits on the bottom because the device doesn't expand to let my fingers in deep enough."

Again--maybe really stupid.
Not stupid at all, it is a pretty good thought and goes along with a comment that the better half made to me noting that it may not fit some women's sunglasses (as hers are HUGE), so having the ability to expand/contract may be something to look into. I will have to think about this a little. I have some waxed canvas on order. Maybe incorporate waxed canvas and elastic gussets instead of it being hard molded. I will have to sit down with a glass of "designing fluid" later and see if I can come up with something

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
I really like these AND I love the 1941! :like: I need a place to store my phone and chap stick. They always seem to fall out of the little shelf area in front of the gear shift. So they end up in my cup holders.

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Technical Training Manager Mercedes-Benz USA LLC and owner of Gibson Leatherworks
You guys are awesome, huge Thanks for the feedback and insights … this is why you prototype and I will be going back to the drawing board this week (with a glass of Jack) to incorporate some changes and see how things turn out.
In summary:
  • Eliminate the Altoids tin holder on pass side
  • Eliminate badging
  • See about some way of allowing for expansion for slightly larger items but allow it to contract as well (potentially using canvas/elastic etc. just using canvas gussets instead of hard molding these may allow this)
  • Additional thread color options
  • Offering individual sides separately
  • Insure nothing could potentially scratch sunglasses, phone screens etc.
  • Maybe look into placing a small hole or opening so a charging cable could be ran into so it. This will be a little cleaning if you place you phone in it
You guys make a hell of a focus group … I will be working on some leather/canvas Molle type bags in the near future and will be soliciting your input again

Keep the ideas/thoughts coming

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
I really like these AND I love the 1941! :like: I need a place to store my phone and chap stick. They always seem to fall out of the little shelf area in front of the gear shift. So they end up in my cup holders.
We are looking into designing a series of bags for the JL and are considering calling them 1941 bags, or series 1941 or something like that. If so, I would incorporate some type of badging on them. Probably need to do something a little more subtle than this one though. I have some smaller oval metal tags, but I have not figured out a good way to attach them yet

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Probably doesn't make much of a difference in reality, but maybe if the rivets has more of a flat/brushed aluminum looking finish, given the proximity to the trim on the shifters.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
There's always an option !

On the JK console, there was a lot more useable room and I had a "STRADDLE" installed that I could attach/carry dozens of articles--now there isn't that much room in the JL console area, but I have measured and checked the way to construct a new "STRADDLE" --

I don't know if patent's have control over that, but I'll bet that S.W.A.G./JEEP will produce one within this new year--and they are really useful-

W.E.

JIMBO

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
Probably doesn't make much of a difference in reality, but maybe if the rivets has more of a flat/brushed aluminum looking finish, given the proximity to the trim on the shifters.
I agree and it is actually hard to tell from the pic (probably because I am a crappy photographer) but the snaps and rivets are all brushed nickel

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I agree and it is actually hard to tell from the pic (probably because I am a crappy photographer) but the snaps and rivets are all brushed nickel
Aha - probably is just the lighting, made it look shinier than it probably is :)

OP
OP
Blkjak

Blkjak

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
gibsonleatherworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Occupation
There's always an option !

On the JK console, there was a lot more useable room and I had a "STRADDLE" installed that I could attach/carry dozens of articles--now there isn't that much room in the JL console area, but I have measured and checked the way to construct a new "STRADDLE" --

I don't know if patent's have control over that, but I'll bet that S.W.A.G./JEEP will produce one within this new year--and they are really useful-

W.E.

JIMBO
Yup, I think that it was a company called Springtail or something like that who offered a metal piece with a Molle grid for JKs and FJs (I think that is what you are referring to) I am sure one can be done for the JL. Don't quote me, but I think that you need 7 differences to not infringe on a patent, so that should not be an issue. If you are inclined to try something, I would be interested to see what you come up with and I am around if you want to bounce some ideas off me.

Sponsored

kinneyb

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, Bright White, 3.6L
You guys are awesome, huge Thanks for the feedback and insights … this is why you prototype and I will be going back to the drawing board this week (with a glass of Jack) to incorporate some changes and see how things turn out.
In summary:
  • Eliminate the Altoids tin holder on pass side
  • Eliminate badging
  • See about some way of allowing for expansion for slightly larger items but allow it to contract as well (potentially using canvas/elastic etc. just using canvas gussets instead of hard molding these may allow this)
  • Additional thread color options
  • Offering individual sides separately
  • Insure nothing could potentially scratch sunglasses, phone screens etc.
  • Maybe look into placing a small hole or opening so a charging cable could be ran into so it. This will be a little cleaning if you place you phone in it
You guys make a hell of a focus group … I will be working on some leather/canvas Molle type bags in the near future and will be soliciting your input again

Keep the ideas/thoughts coming
In reference to the hole/opening for charging: couldn’t you just put your phone upside down in the saddle while it charges?

Turfman

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Vehicle Showcase
Could you use a burn in stamp for 1941 instead of the badge. Might look a little more like the Wrangler on the grab bar for the glove box?

patternman

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2014 & 2001 Indian
I have one of your fob holsters, love it. I would like these saddle bags as well but I would go without elastic sides, my experience with elastic sides in phone holsters are the elastic is gone in about two years.

Status
Not open for further replies.