Sponsored

JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade

noname831

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU in a few months, Challenger Scatpack
Finished mine this weekend. Took me about 2hrs, most of time was wrestling the tools away from my 2yo. I followed the directions from this thread. The Oracle light is very nice, but there are a few things I would have liked them to do different. The screws seemed to want to cross tread on me a bit, maybe it's bad quality, maybe I'm just crossed? They also seemed a bit on the short side. I would also have liked a small rubber gasket or some type of thin rubber molding to go against the widow. The stock part gets rubbery by the window. I might go back and add it later, but I'll need to source longer screws for sure if I try that. Since I added my own switch to cut power, I wish the switches were latching so that if I used my switch to control the light, I wouldn't also have to use theirs. If you turn power off to the light with is in the "on" position, the light will revert back to "off" when power is reapplied, I would have preferred it to stay on, This a gripe specific to how it would be best for me, not really a complaint. The light it provides is quite nice. I was concerned that when I was grabbing stuff in the back, there would be a bunch of shadows created since the light is behind you, that wasn't the case. It lit up the back and the ground nicely. The light it adds is dramatic as you can see below. I'm happy with outcome and impressed by Oracle's decision to make such niche product. Also thanks to all on this thread for their tips and suggestions.

IMG_20200530_160623.jpg

IMG_20200531_210654.jpg

IMG_20200531_210639.jpg

IMG_20200530_160600.jpg
Which switch did you use? I like how it’s illuminated red. Thanks
Sponsored

psdtime

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJ Rubicon, 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2020 JLRU
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Looks good! Not a bad idea :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
ORACLElights

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
I've been noticing lately that the rear glass mounted lights have a serious degradation in performance when running topless...
You don't say!? ;)

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
Some great lighting setups in here!

I wanted something different though. I wanted lights that were portable. Could be opening the back door to get camping gear, then maybe want to light up the area 30 feet away (and not have another light to carry etc). Anyways this has been working for me:

Bought this magnetic light from Amazon. Comes with 2 bases - I've attached one on the left side of the cargo area, and one up on the top of the door when opened, like where most people have their lights. The light can be rotated in the base to suit your angle.

The light is touch activated, and has variable brightness that you can set again, with touch.

I can move the light to either position, and just pull it off when needed and carry it etc.

It is rechargeable, supposedly about 3 hours of time, and I can just charge it from the cargo area - I've inserted a USB charging plug into the rear lighter plug.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0130

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0132

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0131

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0186

Stock dome light is also on in these photos
Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0185

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade IMG_0187

aujeepgirl

First Name
Dawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2015 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Some great lighting setups in here!

I wanted something different though. I wanted lights that were portable. Could be opening the back door to get camping gear, then maybe want to light up the area 30 feet away (and not have another light to carry etc). Anyways this has been working for me:

Bought this magnetic light from Amazon. Comes with 2 bases - I've attached one on the left side of the cargo area, and one up on the top of the door when opened, like where most people have their lights. The light can be rotated in the base to suit your angle.

The light is touch activated, and has variable brightness that you can set again, with touch.

I can move the light to either position, and just pull it off when needed and carry it etc.

It is rechargeable, supposedly about 3 hours of time, and I can just charge it from the cargo area - I've inserted a USB charging plug into the rear lighter plug.

Stock dome light is also on in these photos

Could you post a link to the light when you have time?

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude

Sponsored

Hogzilla

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0 turbo
Just installed this today. I used a 12v power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter from behind the rear panel and added a switch that only lights up when the light is on. Hardest part was popping off all the trim on the rear window to be able to run the wire through that and through hardtop. It came out nice and clean. Very nice product.

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade 20210411_112649

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade 20210411_132021

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade 20210411_132012

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade 20210411_132029

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Cargo Area Lighting Upgrade 20210411_201159

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
Ok, @ORACLElights ... I like this thing. Nice & brighty-bright and fantastic, and it lights up the night at the rear. I have concerns about the adhesive holding up in hot weather, but double-sided tape can be used as a replacement if ever necessary. The installation couldn't be any easier.

The only thing I don't care for is the plug. It protrudes a good 2", and I'd be concerned that any weighty cargo in the rear could bang into it and possibly break or damage the plug. I'd have preferred this be either shorter or have a 90-degree angle. I found an angled adapter that I'm gonna test out. Stay tuned.

Being that the 12v socket in the rear is "always on," I'd like to keep the light plugged in, but I wouldn't if I had anything in the cargo area. When I hit the beach or the mountains, the cargo area is full and I couldn't keep it plugged in...it would be in the way. Nevertheless, I really like the light.

Really like your top cargo net/straps. Can u point me in the direction of where to purchase? Thx in advance