Sponsored

JL Best dual muf axle back exhaust (neighborhood friendly)?

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
Hey all

What's the best dual muf axle back exhaust for a jl that gives u a nice sound but at the same time keeps the neighbors from complaining ?

I was planning between borlas touring and s-type and to be honest hearing and watching the sound clips on YouTube didn't help me in making my mind.

Please share if you suggest a diff manufacturer

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
There's no such thing. It's going to be louder than factory and your neighbours will hear it more. That's the problem with aftermarket exhausts. Also anyone can make an exhaust loud on anything... it's not an achievement.

Aftermarket intakes are a lot better because they're loud only when the engine is under load which it doesn't need to be if you're cruising.

Purely based on sound quality, the intake induction sound is much sexier than exhaust sound no matter what. There are only a few vehicles with a naturally aspirated V6 out there and this is a rare and beautiful sound that shouldn't be drowned by exhaust noise.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
I landed on the Borla Touring and am very happy with it. Deeper note to me inside the cabin, no droning when cruising, and you can hear the exhaust when it downshifts. Not obnoxiously loud by any means. Like you, I was debating between the Touring and S Type but at the end of the day, in my opinion, the mentality approaching exhausts is opposite than with lifts - the latter you should go one bigger than where you think you’ll stop at, the former you should go one quieter than where you think you’ll be at. You can always wish for a louder note and wait till the budget allows an upgrade whereas too loud of a note and you’ll be scrambling to change ASAP.

OP
OP
Youjam

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
I landed on the Borla Touring and am very happy with it. Deeper note to me inside the cabin, no droning when cruising, and you can hear the exhaust when it downshifts. Not obnoxiously loud by any means. Like you, I was debating between the Touring and S Type but at the end of the day, in my opinion, the mentality approaching exhausts is opposite than with lifts - the latter you should go one bigger than where you think you’ll stop at, the former you should go one quieter than where you think you’ll be at. You can always wish for a louder note and wait till the budget allows an upgrade whereas too loud of a note and you’ll be scrambling to change ASAP.
I think I'll go with the touring to avoid any excess noise as I just moved to a new neighborhood and I don't want to make them angry

Thanks for the reply really appreciated

OP
OP
Youjam

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
There's no such thing. It's going to be louder than factory and your neighbours will hear it more. That's the problem with aftermarket exhausts. Also anyone can make an exhaust loud on anything... it's not an achievement.

Aftermarket intakes are a lot better because they're loud only when the engine is under load which it doesn't need to be if you're cruising.

Purely based on sound quality, the intake induction sound is much sexier than exhaust sound no matter what. There are only a few vehicles with a naturally aspirated V6 out there and this is a rare and beautiful sound that shouldn't be drowned by exhaust noise.
Thanks alot for the advice as I'll begin the search for the best cool air intake right away!!

And I think that I'll mix it up with a borla touring axle back dual muf for the look and the slightly bassier noise

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hey all

What's the best dual muf axle back exhaust for a jl that gives u a nice sound but at the same time keeps the neighbors from complaining ?

I was planning between borlas touring and s-type and to be honest hearing and watching the sound clips on YouTube didn't help me in making my mind.

Please share if you suggest a diff manufacturer

Thanks in advance
I've got a Magnaflow axle-back and it sounds GREAT but isn't enough to bug anyone. It is quiet when you are driving normally, but makes a nice, but not obnoxious volume when you get on it. I think they really got a nice sound out of the 3.6. I have a manual and it is just a blast to go through the gears and hear it.

The best part about it is that it is TOUGH. I've bashed the hell out of the tips off-roading and you wouldn't know it unless you were looking for it. The tips are solid and thick stainless. I would have absolutely destroyed the stock tip with just one of the hits these have taken. Amazingly, they've not come up and dented the bumper, either.

l2Q3oQK.jpg

aUeO1v3.jpg

bh8dgDE.jpg

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I have had the Borla Touring and the Type S. The Touring is no louder than stock and is a good way to install dual tips if that is what you are seeking. A couple of gotchas were the inlet pipe had to be expanded because it was the same diameter as the OEM connector pipe. Also, the tips tended to point slightly downwards and when viewed from the side it was a turn off for me.

The Type S is what I would call a happy medium. It looks great and sounds great. I have no droning in the cabin and the sound is not overly loud. None of my neighbors have complained about the sound. I have the black version.

OP
OP
Youjam

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
I have had the Borla Touring and the Type S. The Touring is no louder than stock and is a good way to install dual tips if that is what you are seeking. A couple of gotchas were the inlet pipe had to be expanded because it was the same diameter as the OEM connector pipe. Also, the tips tended to point slightly downwards and when viewed from the side it was a turn off for me.

The Type S is what I would call a happy medium. It looks great and sounds great. I have no droning in the cabin and the sound is not overly loud. None of my neighbors have complained about the sound. I have the black version.
Thanks alot for sharing ur experience. I wanted to make a mix of an intake and a touring but I guess I'll go ahead with the s-type based on ur advice.

as I watched and read alot of negative points about the intake specially that I live in a very hot country.

I'll carry on with the order so that I don't change my mind again

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Thanks alot for sharing ur experience. I wanted to make a mix of an intake and a touring but I guess I'll go ahead with the s-type based on ur advice.

as I watched and read alot of negative points about the intake specially that I live in a very hot country.

I'll carry on with the order so that I don't change my mind again
For what it’s worth regarding the installation, I did not have to manipulate anything to install the Touring regard the inlet pipe’s diameter.

OP
OP
Youjam

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
For what it’s worth regarding the installation, I did not have to manipulate anything to install the Touring regard the inlet pipe’s diameter.
Thanks a million mate but I think that I'll take it to a part shop/garage to fix it as I don't have any experience in car mechanicals.

I'll order the exhaust in 2 days giving myself more time to get confused on which one to order

Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Thanks a million mate but I think that I'll take it to a part shop/garage to fix it as I don't have any experience in car mechanicals.

I'll order the exhaust in 2 days giving myself more time to get confused on which one to order
Sounds good, I’m pretty limited in what I can do too but was surprised by how easy it was to do. Found success taking the bolts holding the exhaust to the underside out, then removing the exhaust hangers. Good luck with the decision!

JL Fan

First Name
JL Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I went with the MBRP and love it. I didn't compare to Borla or Magnaflow...but those looked good too. It was just that MBRP had a better price. I did try to compare watching YouTube videos, but those didn't help. There is no drone at highway speeds. It is definitely a lower note...and you can hear it under load while at low RPM's. I didn't want to piss off the neighbors either. I don't think it could. It is only slightly louder than stock, but with a much better tone. And dual pipes look much better. In fact, I wish it were a little louder. But I'm not upset with the purchase at all.

I ordered mine from Extreme Terrain...shipped quick and they had an installation video on YouTube that was helpful. I didn't have the exhaust hanger specialty pliers tool thingy. And still only took about an hour to install. It fit exactly as advertised...not modifying required. I recommend it. Now I'm looking at CAI's.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, Borla has fixed the issue. The good news was they they re-imbursed me for the cost of the muffler shop having to expand the pipe.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Yep, Borla has fixed the issue. The good news was they they re-imbursed me for the cost of the muffler shop having to expand the pipe.
Ah, gotcha. The hardest part for me was just getting it to catch. I tried setting the bottom then getting the top (was working from under my friend’s full garage lift) but ended up having to get the top to catch first. First time doing an exhaust, wasn’t too bad though.

OP
OP
Youjam

Youjam

First Name
Yusuf
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jlu sport
Thanks everyone for ur advices and recommendations but I fixed the borla axle back EXHAUST (s-type) and I'm not regretting it so far.. The look is nice and the sound is just amazing!! Tbh I expected it to be much louder but it came just perfect.

Screenshot_20200825_195606_com.whatsapp.jpg

Screenshot_20200825_195630_com.google.android.apps.photos.jpg
Sponsored