Jl Auto Transmission Fluid/Filter

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray
I am trying to change the ATF in my 3.6 Sports S. I know we use the 8 speed trans that are also used in some other trucks.

but what type of trans is it exactly? like what is the official name and designation?

also I am having trouble finding transmission filter kits listed specially for the JL, from any vendor.

Has anyone done this already? if so could you please post a link to the Fluid and Filter kit you bought?

Much thanks
Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I am trying to change the ATF in my 3.6 Sports S. I know we use the 8 speed trans that are also used in some other trucks.

but what type of trans is it exactly? like what is the official name and designation?

also I am having trouble finding transmission filter kits listed specially for the JL, from any vendor.

Has anyone done this already? if so could you please post a link to the Fluid and Filter kit you bought?

Much thanks

FCA calls it 850RE which is based off the ZF 8HP50.

There is not a separate filter, it’s integrated into the pan itself. So you have to replace the whole pan in order to replace the filter.

Genuine ZF Lifeguard 8 or Ravenol J1D2113-004 are most popular fluid options.

FCA says the trans is a “lifetime fill” while ZF says it needs to be changed every 80-120km or 8 years.

wheels082

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2010 JKU, 1994 XJ

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
When i ordered my Amsoil online it got here the next day. I have done the front, rear diffs and transfer case in their signature series.

Interesting you need the whole pan for a filter change. I am guessing the exhaust was engineered to clear the pan when you slide it out. It runs right underneath it.

OP
OP
AeonFrost

AeonFrost

First Name
Xylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S Unlimited Granite Gray
I have not changed mine yet but I will. Transmission fluid needs to be changed if you want the transmission to last as long as possible. This is the fluid that I bought.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLPK-EA/?zo=226468
They also have a less expensive fluid, but since it is for my Jeep I bought the Signature Series one.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-transmission-fluid/?code=OTLQT-EA/?zo=226468

Thank you for the link, what about the integrated pan/filter?

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase

Much thanks
I have not changed mine yet but I will. Transmission fluid needs to be changed if you want the transmission to last as long as possible. This is the fluid that I bought.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-transmission-fluid/?code=ATLPK-EA/?zo=226468
They also have a less expensive fluid, but since it is for my Jeep I bought the Signature Series one.
https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-prod...-transmission-fluid/?code=OTLQT-EA/?zo=226468
I am a big fan of Amsoil using their gear oil in all of my axles since 2010, though many of their products are not "certified" but have "recommended for use in..." designations. However, unless I missed it, when I look at the specifications (https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3110.pdf), I do not see a recommendation for the transmission fluid in the 8 speed ZF transmission in the Jeep. I would look to use Ravenol as mentioned above which is frequently on the FCA approved fluids list. I bought Ravenol ATF+4 to change the fluid in my transfer case in the near future.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Interesting video, it appears our Jeeps have what looks like a bypass valve on the trans that he was talking about.

So these are sealed transmissions that never need the fluid changed eh? I a bit skeptical but will do some research. Just for kicks I went though my mopar maintenance app and there is no recommendation for replacing the automatic trans fluid up to the 150,000 mile mark.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
So these are sealed transmissions that never need the fluid changed eh? I a bit skeptical but will do some research. Just for kicks I went though my mopar maintenance app and there is no recommendation for replacing the automatic trans fluid up to the 150,000 mile mark.
Our Infiniti G37 also has a "sealed" AT, luckily there's good DIY info on their forum site, was able to use a fluid pump and Infrared temp gun to perform the factory service on it. And FWIW the ATF was very dark, the pan (w/ magnets) had a good buildup of deposits. Service was easy to do and the AT shifted better w/ much less gear hunting after the service. This was done at 75k miles and involved a 3x drain & fill w/ nearly 4 gallons of ATF used (14.5 qts).

Hopefully when my JL gets in that 75k mile range there will be enough that have "unsealed" this AT to provide some good youtube clips &/or threads on this site :)

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
Our Infiniti G37 also has a "sealed" AT, luckily there's good DIY info on their forum site, was able to use a fluid pump and Infrared temp gun to perform the factory service on it. And FWIW the ATF was very dark, the pan (w/ magnets) had a good buildup of deposits. Service was easy to do and the AT shifted better w/ much less gear hunting after the service. This was done at 75k miles and involved a 3x drain & fill w/ nearly 4 gallons of ATF used (14.5 qts).

Hopefully when my JL gets in that 75k mile range there will be enough that have "unsealed" this AT to provide some good youtube clips &/or threads on this site :)
ZF recommends replacing the fluid at 60,000miles. So the "lifetime" claim is just a marketing gimmick. For sure there will be a lot more DIY videos out there once the miles add up. I sure don't wanna pay a dealer price to do it.

kyleguy101

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, Truck, Van, Suv,
-- Jeep says fluid is good for the Lifetime of the warranty, which is 60k. OEM transmission fluid Mopar 68218925AB must be used until warranty expires -- It's NOT a Chrysler or FCA tranny. It's made by ZF out of Germany. ZF reccomends fluid and filter to be changed every 50k -- After warranty expires, then most any fluid that meets Dexron VI or ATF+4 specs will work, because those fluids meet ZF specs -- I changed mine at 50k. Magnets were covered in metal particles and pan covered in black soot. It definitely needed changed.

20210731_173013.jpg

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
-- Jeep says fluid is good for the Lifetime of the warranty, which is 60k. OEM transmission fluid Mopar 68218925AB must be used until warranty expires -- It's NOT a Chrysler or FCA tranny. It's made by ZF out of Germany. ZF reccomends fluid and filter to be changed every 50k -- After warranty expires, then most any fluid that meets Dexron VI or ATF+4 specs will work, because those fluids meet ZF specs -- I changed mine at 50k. Magnets were covered in metal particles and pan covered in black soot. It definitely needed changed.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jl Auto Transmission Fluid/Filter 20210731_173013
I used Maxlife for our Infiniti which is a transmission that is supposed to be pretty picky w/ fluids used. I doubt any issues using it in the ZF, although just for extra piece of mind I'll probably go Redline since the specific ZF transmission is listed in their application listing.

Nice to hear more are DIY'ing the service, also nice that you didn't have to buy a whole new pan like most have been doing.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service

20210731_173013.jpg
I would absolutely not use that fluid in our transmissions.
Sponsored