JL audio with top off.

Eldude

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara unlimited
Ok JL owners… remember back when we all had JK’s and the cool hack you could do to the back window hardtop connection that would make the radio sound back to normal??

Anything like that on the JL??
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
What do you mean "back to normal"? Obviously have to turn the volume up with no top, but the sound coming from my speakers is the same top or no top.

OP
OP
Eldude

Eldude

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara unlimited
What do you mean "back to normal"? Obviously have to turn the volume up with no top, but the sound coming from my speakers is the same top or no top.
I mean obviously the sound has to go up.. but the quality is shi*... Back in the JK days when you did the "Jumper" trick...... sound quality went back to normal... aka Bass sounded better as well as the Highs and Mids

Gladius Nova

First Name
Gladius
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL
I mean obviously the sound has to go up.. but the quality is shi*... Back in the JK days when you did the "Jumper" trick...... sound quality went back to normal... aka Bass sounded better as well as the Highs and Mids
Are you saying the quality is shi! because of the outside noise or the actual speakers?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

If you didn't have a JK, you wouldn't know about this. On the JK, when the hard top was removed the audio level would change. Hence the jumper trick referred to above.

Reactions: DHW

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, JLU Sport, JTuRD
The change in sound still happens, I can hear the difference when I push the button to open/close the Sky One Touch. There are wires in the hardtop plug for top presence, I don’t know which ones and would have to look at the wire diagrams.
Gregj

BamaJeepTruck

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
In my JT I almost feel like the levels are better with the top off.

Sponsored

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A56EAAC6-CC34-4819-9875-1E73EDA7D472.png

Looks like it is grounding the orange/violet wire through SQ997, I don’t know what that is, maybe a resistor, maybe just a ground.
Gregj

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
The change in sound still happens, I can hear the difference when I push the button to open/close the Sky One Touch. There are wires in the hardtop plug for top presence, I don’t know which ones and would have to look at the wire diagrams.
Gregj
The owner's manual actually states it in the One Touch section:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL audio with top off. 1623959711309

I've never been able to tell, but I've read about the ANC system shutting off in my Ram when the windows or sunroof were open, maybe that has something to do with it.

Is there a jumper built into the spot in the trim that the hardtop plug goes into when the top is off?
Jeep Wrangler JL JL audio with top off. 1623960162081

Gregj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Point is my JLU is a factory hardtop that I have added an SOT to, the wires are present in all hardtops. It is just opening the top makes this change clearly heard. You may not notice it when you remove the hardtop because of the time you take to remove the top. There are no connectors in the plug to store the connector when the top is off.

Gregj

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
Jeep Wrangler JL JL audio with top off. 1623960162081

Looks like it is grounding the orange/violet wire through SQ997, I don’t know what that is, maybe a resistor, maybe just a ground.
Gregj
I think SQ997 is just a ground splice. It's present on the wiper motor ground also, and the circuits match down current:
Jeep Wrangler JL JL audio with top off. 1623964838621

So Jumping Pin 4 (OG/VT) to Pin 3 (BK 2door or BK/GN 4door) should simulate the connection.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I mentioned this exact same thing when replying to an audio post for the JL...I remember doing this on my JK and now it has me wondering if the same can be done to the JL?
Sponsored