Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
So something is not right. Wiring check is next.
Sponsored

Bzinsky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 rubicon 4xe
So something is not right. Wiring check is next.
Disconnect one of the coils to the sub, only use one.

See what happens.

Then repeat with other side.

By making sure it doesnā€™t get as loud while only playing one voice coil, you eliminate amp to sub wiring, faulty sub coil, or out of phase wiring.

Donā€™t even need to screw the sub back in. Play music, listen, unscrew sub, disconnect one coil, hold sub back into enclosure with your hands, hit play button on phone, listen, repeat with other coil. Can do it all real fast. Just donā€™t let the dangling connectors my contact with each other while itā€™s playing.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am a noob when it comes to this. I did confirm the impedance when I was troubleshooting the amp and it was around 2 ohms, so I think I got it correct. But it seems I need to let the sub break in for a few weeks. Also the Quart tech is saying to set the gains with 0db tones and I set it up with -5db tones. Wish I had brought the scope with me to work and I could fix this during lunch.

AusJeepNoob

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon EcoDiesel
Check the LPF and Subsonic Filter are set correctly on the amp. If you've got the LPF set to 50Hz and the Subsonic Filter set to 50Hz you won't be passing much signal through.

The factory wires aren't what I would consider large enough to handle the power going to the sub from the new amp. Maybe if you had twisted 4 together then connected that to negative and the other 4 together for positive it might be suitable but not single wires. They were designed to handle 23W per channel.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks. The subsonic is set to approximately 20hz (9 oā€™clock) and the lpf is at about 80 (noon)The quart kit comes with a plug for the sub that looks like 16 gauge I ran that back to the sub and used some of the oem wiring but I am going to go in and solder some more 16 gauge to lengthen the run.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finished the 16 gauge run to the sub. Quart support said that it was sufficient for this application. Also reset the gains at 0db. FYI the 8.4 starts to clip with a 40Hz tone at about 35. I set the subsonic at around 20hz (9 o'clock) and I am guessing that noon on the LP is about 100Hz and that's where I set that. So how many hours for this sub to break in? It seems to be getting better but not what i expected. I've run it about 6-8 hours so far. Thanks to all who participated.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm running the same setup, and I seem to be getting more than adequate power.
Was there a break in period when you got this powered up. Seems better since I rewired. Did you put any polyfil in and if so, how much?

USAFREODRetired

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Was there a break in period when you got this powered up. Seems better since I rewired. Did you put any polyfil in and if so, how much?
Very little break-in, I used test tones to check each freq band. I also used mat around the back side of the stock enclosure, and filled the cavity with as much polyfill as would easily fit without compressing when I installed the sub.

I really like the result.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did install mat on the back side as well. Eventually decided to send it back. The Kicker 48CWRT104 needs a minimum enclosure of .4 cu ft and I sent a note with the .35 cu ft enclosure and they said it would work. kicker says 30 hours is their break in period. I have one coming from Crutchfield and they have a 60 day return policy.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And the bolt circle of the Kicker is about half an inch too small. On it's way back. I'm going to wait for the Quart sub and in the meantime, I wired two coils of the factory sub in series and then in parallel
to get a 2 ohm load and wired it to the Quart 400.1 amp. We will see how long it lasts at 400 watts.

Sponsored

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
In general, using less than all of the coils (assuming it's a quad coil like what Alpine used in the JK) of a given speaker may lead to oddities (weird sounds) and premature failure of the driver itself. This can be more harmful than feeding it with the power you've got.

OP
OP
Terpsmandan

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am using all the coils. It's like you are wiring 2 DVC 2 ohm subs. You can 2 ohms or 8 ohms depending on how it's wired.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
@Terpsmandan ..I forgot I saw this last year. šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m glad I found this thread again because you saved me from building an MDF ring to install the TW3 on. Great idea for using the original trim ring.

Iā€™m pretty close at installing my TW3 (hopefully tomorrow) and Iā€™m curious to see how it sounds. I only have a 300watt 2 ohm amp currently, but Iā€™m thinking of exchanging for a 600 or 800 if I donā€™t like how it sounds and see if that helps. Otherwise, Iā€™ll probably do what you did and go with the MB Quart.

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Iā€™d Rather Talk Jeepā€™s!
I did install mat on the back side as well. Eventually decided to send it back. The Kicker 48CWRT104 needs a minimum enclosure of .4 cu ft and I sent a note with the .35 cu ft enclosure and they said it would work. kicker says 30 hours is their break in period. I have one coming from Crutchfield and they have a 60 day return policy.
So I FINALLY wired up and tested the TW3-2 which I immediately hooked up to a 600 Watt 2 ohm amp (decided not to even try the 300 watt amp) and with the gain all the way down, the phone EQ off, the bass knob turned all the way down, and my Heigh10 EQ in a V shape and volume pretty dang low it was definitely wanting to bump (much like a sports car rolling through a school zone).

I unfortunately couldnā€™t turn it up much since my wife wouldnā€™t like it, but I think it might be golden. Weā€™ll see how long the sub can handle that kind of power.

And againā€¦thanks for saving me from building a mounting bracketā€¦

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Audio 10TW3 in Factory Alpine enclosure B8BC6AD6-D419-42B5-8A42-A8AE35E7F7A5

Jeep Wrangler JL JL Audio 10TW3 in Factory Alpine enclosure F1ACD2E5-1DAE-48E5-8599-C6B2AF57ED74

Tank2112

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392, Custom Jeep LJ
Don't get caught up in the "breakin period" of a sub or any speaker for that matter. The sound will change, slightly over time...smooth out a little as foam surround breaks in. But don't expect much, if any in change of volume. You will know right away if you have enough output/volume.
Sponsored