OP

Batr96

First Name
Bryce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I guess that’s true with any vehicle. I am not mechanical and take mine out into the middle of nowhere all the time. So far no problems. If if bust then I will get out and start looking for help. Keep 10 essentials with you and it will be an adventure.

8268FFB5-D29E-4B78-A8E7-6FC0B47721A6.jpeg
This is absolutely true. That JL is my dream right now!

I don't think it's any worse than any other vehicle looked at for overlanding, and probably more dependable than most. I honestly think you hear about all the bad things more than you do about people who are not having issues. That said, wouldn't you want to shake a vehicle down for a few thousand miles before embarking on a trek into the middle of nowhere?
Most of the stuff on the internet is really biased opinions, so I've taken them with a grain of salt. Just a tad worried about all the new electronics altogether. But you are correct, I just need to give it some break-in time.

Thank you for your military service . Trade your new JL for a used military Humvee and take it overlanding instead of the JL .
Humvees are one of the worst vehicles I've ever worked with.:angry: They'll break down going 35+ mph down the hardball. :cwl: But that's what you get with lowest bidder!
Sponsored

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Part of the rush about overland for me is the potential for $hit to hit the fan and am I prepared for it? I have a SAT phone whenever I go more than a 3 day hike out. Speaking of which, 2 more months and will be off-road for 30 days straight!!! Can’t wait
I think a good pre-check to make sure grounds and fuses and stuff are properly connected will address the majority of the electronic gremlins being reported, and there really hasn't been to many of those. Low-voltage is your enemy on modern vehicles.

Also, re-torque the major things in the suspension. A torque wrench and a few metric sockets are all you need for that.

A little bit of common sense preventative maintenance avoids a lot of problems...damn it I just jinxed myself.

Hit the other brand forums and you'll see similar problem reports.

I have no more concern with my JL in the bush than I used to have with my Toyota's, Land Rover's or Ram truck and I'm a lot more confident than in the Ford's or GM's I've owned.

In fact after doing the work on mine for the lift I'm amazed at how much thought went into the design.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I think a good pre-check to make sure grounds and fuses and stuff are properly connected will address the majority of the electronic gremlins being reported, and there really hasn't been to many of those. Low-voltage is your enemy on modern vehicles.

In fact after doing the work on mine for the lift I'm amazed at how much thought went into the design.
here is the deal for me.

electronic controls are a way of life, for everything.
it isn't going away.

however, some platforms are pretty good, and some..... suck.

everybody's all wrapped about these scary electronics.
the problem is, you don't have anything to compare it to. not really.

let's look at something to make you grateful for any issues you may
have.....

the ford 6.0 diesel. making one run reliably is the Apollo 13 of the automotive world.

FICM. EGR cooler. oil cooler. alternator. oil filter housing. water pump. injector stiction.
head studs. head gaskets. coolant. oil shear. head cracks.

and about 20 things beyond those. ANY of which can leave you disabled, waiting for
a hook, or a flatbed. requiring in the case of a van, the possibility of an engine removal
to repair.

here's a for instance..... battery voltage gets low, FICM output to the injectors stays normal,
FICM burns up, taking half the injectors with it. btw, factory alternator will not charge batteries
above 25% charge.

or, sand in cooling system from engine casting in manufacturing comes loose after 5 years.
plugs oil cooler a bit. reduces coolant flow to EGR cooler. EGR cooler perforates, lets coolant
into intake manifold, hydrolocks motor. blows both head gaskets.

i've got one sitting in the driveway right now. an E350 van. i was seriously thinking of
converting to 4wd. and it's bulletproofed. absolutely the best that can be done. $11,000
worth of engine work. rock solid.

and then i thought about it, seriously. would i go back into the maze at canyonlands with
it?

no fucking way. zip. not a chance.

that is why i have a jeep.

Sponsored

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

EsTxDr