Sponsored

JL as an Overland Vehicle?

raqball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JKUR
Vehicle Showcase
Sound advice. My wife works for Iridium and thus we get the luxury of getting to play with real voice to voice satellite phones and even their wireless hotspot (even though its dialup slow). However, we've been in places where the Iridium aren't allowed. Politics... The Garmin inReach devices are excellent to and are built to be beat on. Far better then the SPOT Gen3 if you are willing to pay a little more.
I have an older inReach and am thinking about buying the new Mini... The mini is only $350 and well worth it considering it can save your life...

Had to use mine a few years ago, SOS, as someone in our hiking party had a minor heart attack. In the boonies, no cell service and 20+ miles from anywhere. Rescue was there pretty quick. Without it, he may have died..
Sponsored

bobzdar

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Rubicon X 4XE, '23 Defender 130
Those kraut "cars" are overpriced wuss "cars" , which are unable to drive over a curb at speed .
Pretty sure a g wagon could handle whatever curb you decide you need to run over. You'll have to pay for the privilege, but that doesn't mean it's not extremely capable when optioned properly. Can't get portals on a jeep...

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
sophistijeep.blogspot.com
Vehicle(s)
MY2014 JKU Overland (RHD) A/T, Mercedes E-class MY2017
Yep , and Toyota sold a lot of FJ Cruisers down under as well .
Yes but FJs aren't used for wandering too far off cities just like Wranglers. People who go deep in to no where need space and FJ doesn't cut that.

Those kraut "cars" are overpriced wuss "cars" , which are unable to drive over a curb at speed .
I agree that most are but the Australian Defense Force uses these:
https://www.caradvice.com.au/579296/across-the-simpson-desert-in-a-mercedes-benz-g-wagen/

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
welcome everybody

I suggest that Jeep release the Wrangler version
No soft top
No hard top
No folding front glass
Customers who want this are very many
From my point of view jeep will get rid of a lot of problems.
Especially with those new customers on Wrangler!

About this topic
High reliability + proper price
= Diffusion = Repair and spare parts everywhere.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
welcome everybody

I suggest that Jeep release the Wrangler version
No soft top
No hard top
No folding front glass
Customers who want this are very many
From my point of view jeep will get rid of a lot of problems.
No hard top and no soft top? Do you mean topless or is there something like a medium boiled egg for tops? :)

I don't think it's accurate to attribute overall reliability to just one or two aspects. People learn how far you they can push or take a vehicle and not get in to trouble. The only thing that blurs that line that tells them how far is too far is the lack of quality control. In science we say it adds noise. And FCA has been pretty bad with QC although they make vehicles that everyone wants if they had world class reliability. Toyota has that world class reliability but they make boring vehicles. That's not a coincidence. Toyota doesn't need to try as hard and put a ton of bells and whistles to sell their products. The more stuff you add to sweeten the deal (e.g. the very complex engines in the JL, 8 speed, etc.) you take a bit of that reliability away.

Sponsored

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
No hard top and no soft top? Do you mean topless or is there something like a medium boiled egg for tops? :)
I do not mean this of course :)

I agree with you regarding quality control.
I do not want to talk about Toyota is known
What I care about is how to help Wrangler reach out to the most people around the world with high reliability and very few problems.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
general information

By the way in about 2007 Toyota stopped the cruiser series 70
Editions related to the soft top and hard top In the Middle East!

I do not know when Toyota decides to return these versions.

xz4zobzuzhjd.jpg

0020000145.jpg

Last edited:

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
old8tora said:
Those kraut "cars" are overpriced wuss "cars" , which are unable to drive over a curb at speed.
Now that is an ignorant statement. There is nothing wuss about a Unimog or even a G-Wagon for that matter. A quick search has reveled you love the word wuss and use it often to describe a great manner of things. To each their own…

I bet you are the kind of Jeep owner who I wave at and get no acknowledgement. Makes me wonder about about some people...

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Now that is an ignorant statement. There is nothing wuss about a Unimog or even a G-Wagon for that matter.
He said cars. Those are trucks. I've had several Mercs (E class) and the most recent two brand new... I can say that there's a bit of truth behind what he said. The only tough Mercs cars are the Guard models. There's a reason why Merc's new pickup X-Class is very much a rebadged Nissan.

JeepOn

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, RAM 3500, E350 Benz
He said cars. Those are trucks. I've had several Mercs (E class) and the most recent two brand new... I can say that there's a bit of truth behind what he said. The only tough Mercs cars are the Guard models. There's a reason why Merc's new pickup X-Class is very much a rebadged Nissan.
I've had a few E classes and other than normal wear and tear on them, there wasn't any major issues. Throw in a few VWs and an Audi, no issues with German cars what so ever. Mind you, they were all diesel versions, but I don't think that really matters. I own an E350 currently, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one if I could get it with a diesel.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 99 E430 Sport, and that old W210 is built like a tank. There isn't a rattle in it after 19 years, and it runs like new. It hasn't had any major issues and the styling certainly doesn't look 2 decades dated. It is a nice, safe, solid car that I trust with my 16 year old daughter.

Rockmaninoff

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
I've got a 99 E430 Sport, and that old W210 is built like a tank. There isn't a rattle in it after 19 years, and it runs like new. It hasn't had any major issues and the styling certainly doesn't look 2 decades dated. It is a nice, safe, solid car that I trust with my 16 year old daughter.
Haven't had any issues with the W211, W212 and W213 but certainly am not going to beat them around either. The more electronics they have the more uncertain things are. Guess that makes all modern cars "wuss" cars. Safety has improved in modern cars though.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Haven't had any issues with the W211, W212 and W213 but certainly am not going to beat them around either. The more electronics they have the more uncertain things are. Guess that makes all modern cars "wuss" cars. Safety has improved in modern cars though.
Yeah, I just thought of one recurring annoyance....the power seat control to move the seat backward fails periodically. I think they just clean the contacts and it works for a year or two, then fails again. I do love that car. It is smooth, fast, handles well, and is quiet. It makes me laugh to think about how much more dependent on electronics the JL is, especially when I think about my old YJ, which had no air conditioning, no radio, and soft upper doors.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon

TopPinArcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1987 Toyota, 2017 Crosstrek, 2008 Gulf Stream Vista Cruiser
Occupation
Environmental Technician
Part of the rush about overland for me is the potential for $hit to hit the fan and am I prepared for it? I have a SAT phone whenever I go more than a 3 day hike out. Speaking of which, 2 more months and will be off-road for 30 days straight!!! Can’t wait
Sponsored