JL Air Conditioning Noise

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Guys, the JK was notorious for overheating and it also had a HVAC system that sucked. Didn't cool worth a sh*t on a hot summer day, and took forever to knock the chill off in the dead of January.

On the JL, they have beefed up the HVAC system significantly. Part of that is a stronger cooling fan on the A/C condenser. And part of it is a stronger blower fan on the box under the dash.

So, YES it's louder. That's because it's moving more air! It's a GOOD thing. Not a concern, more of a praise.
Sponsored

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
At first it really concerned me but here in south Texas it’s really been warming up and it has done a heck of a job cooling the inside down and keeping it cool so don’t really care how loud and besides that it does not stay loud long.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, the JK was notorious for overheating and it also had a HVAC system that sucked. Didn't cool worth a sh*t on a hot summer day, and took forever to knock the chill off in the dead of January.

On the JL, they have beefed up the HVAC system significantly. Part of that is a stronger cooling fan on the A/C condenser. And part of it is a stronger blower fan on the box under the dash.

So, YES it's louder. That's because it's moving more air! It's a GOOD thing. Not a concern, more of a praise.
That's news to me. My JK has not once had an overheating issue. All I've done is have the cooling system flushed and filled at my dealership, with the proper Mopar coolant, every 5 years. (twice now.) The air conditioner is colder than my JL, too. I have crawled with it all day in desert heat with the windows up and air conditioning on, and stayed nice and cool and never saw a spike of coolant temperature above normal. It still performs perfectly after 11.5 years and 123,000 miles. I'll be happy if the JL does as well. Also, Dan Grec is taking a 2011 JK on a two year, 80k mile trip around Africa. He's 1/2 way there and has been through absolutely scorching conditions and hasn't appeared to have a problem. He did worry about it, though. He put a couple hood vents into the top of his hood somewhere along the way, but I think it was more as a precaution. He's started the journey north, up the east side of Africa. You can follow him at www.theroadchoseme.com . He has now entered Mozambique. His Jeep has done VERY well, and btw, it rides on BFG KO2's, which Dan has told me have performed exceptionally well in all terrain. (I believe he went from 34 x 10.5 to 285's.)

That said, I have no problem with the JL fan noise, and the engine coolant and oil have stayed right where they need to be. While not as cold as my JK, the air in the JL is fine and gets the job done.

Of course I can't speak for the 3.6 Pentastar JK's. Maybe they've had trouble with overheating. If so, then this is probably one of the few things the old 3.8 does better than the Pentastar. My 3.8 doesn't have much power, but it certainly has proven itself as trouble free and dependable.

Sponsored

Fudgepoop

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Punk' N
I am willing to bet the fans are designed to move ALOT of air for the purpose of cooling the engine when its in a slow cruise or crawl while off-road or when its super hot outside.

The AC just activates the same fans as well.

jm2clogo.png

Last edited:

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
Apparently so. However, a cooling fan should not be that loud. Ridiculous.
Now I can say it is a Jeep thing :giggle:
I rented a Grand Cherokee las week in Las Vegas. It was 107F. Pull over into a look out site, there were other three cars there. I left engine running and a little girl asked her dad, what is that noise? Our Prius doesn’t sound like that.:cwl:
Her dad look over and say it’s the Jeep over there. Jeeps do that.:giggle:
Yes, sir, that GC was as noisy as my Rubicon.

LMontes

First Name
Lori
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 1994 XJ
Occupation
Business Owner
Yes, I wondered the same thing! It is super loud and thought there was an issue at first, but then I parked next to another new vehicle of a different brand and they also had a super loud AC, so maybe it is a newer car thing???

KillaRubi

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon (on order)
Occupation
IT
noticed the same, but now that I think about it the AC does get cold quick! the JK I had before didnt do that.

WantingJeep

First Name
Claudia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Mine TOO! I can't hear it that bad from the inside. How I found out about the noise was when I went through a drive thru and a guy said to me "Beautiful Car But, Sounds like Crap!" Now I wonder if people are looking at my car because it's nice looking or because it sounds like the HULK!!?

Sponsored

Frankie Drums

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sahara JL
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds awful. I popped the hood because I thought something was wrong.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Holy crap it scared the hell out of me. I was sitting on a mechanics rolling stool in front of the Jeep today working on removing the steel bumper end caps and i decided to use the remote start to cool down the Jeep before I got in to activate the uConnect system.

I expected the horn beep on starting and I expected the engine to run at higher rpm's until the engine warmed up, I did not expect the roar of the AC system and actually thought something was wrong.

I shut the engine down, got up and got inside the Jeep and it started fine and didn't sound that bad inside the Jeep. I then got out and realized the jet engine sound in my driveway was my JLUR.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I have just gotten used to the loud fan and if anything it gets people’s attention and they say why is it so loud and I tell them it’s a Jeep thing and also say it’s not fast but can go anywhere so it needs the additional air to keep it cool while I go places they only think about going with their fancicer SUVS

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Holy crap it scared the hell out of me. I was sitting on a mechanics rolling stool in front of the Jeep today working on removing the steel bumper end caps and i decided to use the remote start to cool down the Jeep before I got in to activate the uConnect system.

I expected the horn beep on starting and I expected the engine to run at higher rpm's until the engine warmed up, I did not expect the roar of the AC system and actually thought something was wrong.

I shut the engine down, got up and got inside the Jeep and it started fine and didn't sound that bad inside the Jeep. I then got out and realized the jet engine sound in my driveway was my JLUR.
I seriously don’t understand posts that say this is cool, normal or acceptable. It’s a flaw. Somebody here (from Texas) went to a McDonald’s drive up and the fan was to loud to order a burger. I’m sure it works fine and cools the engine. No need to sound like a jet turbine.

BobK

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Occupation
Semi-Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll admit that regardless of the efficiency of its cooling ability, this is not normal or acceptable.
Sponsored