Sponsored

JL after market support missing

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Having a 2dr. JLR and trying to kit it out has been very frustrating. Some big ticket items from vendors just aren't happing or happening soon enough to suit me. Come on Vendors show us 2dr. owners some love. We got money too! I've been looking for three months now and these items are missing.
1" maybe 1-1/2"lift kit designed for a JLR.
JLR's(2dr. rubicons) only really need a solid 1" lift for 35" tires from what I've read but I can only find spacer's. How about a dialed in progressive coil and quality set of matching shocks ? None I've found. I don't want JLU designed 2.5" or higher lifts. Those are 1/2" higher than needed for 37" tires on a JLR from what I've read. 2.5" lifts make 35" tires look small on a JLR and raise the CG point higher too. JL's are lighter and have less carrying capacity, they don't need the heavy capacity JLU springs. Jl's shorter wheel base has a better break over angle and will clear with a 1" lift what it takes a JLU with a 2.5 lift. Again from what I've read.
How about some aluminum armor? A light, lower center of gravity JL needs armor. Light weight armor...
Belly pan? Nope, one heavy 180 lb. offering is all I've been able to source and it's as heavy as less expensive metal offerings. It's not the cost but the weight that's wrong.
Rock sliders? Nope. High clearance boat sided rocker sliders would be my choice and they make them for the JLU. Step slider too but they are for mail cruisers, soccer Mom's and kids, IMO. Not a JLR.
Help me out vendors and fellow 2 dr. owners. School me where I'm wrong, please. I would love to be wrong and finish my build.
BTW, JL's with either 2.0 or 3.6 motors have a 400lb weight saving advantage over a JLU. With light weight aluminum aftermarket bumpers and armor JL owners can bump the weight savings to twice that. Performance, economy and durability are mostly over looked in the JL model IMO. Now where is the popcorn haha.
Sponsored

Last edited:

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I totally agree with the spirit of this post and also bemoan the state of 2-door aftermarket support, even though I don’t really have plans to mod my JLR right now anyway. Hopefully by the time I do want to upgrade the aftermarket will have caught up.

By the way, this is why when people say “Who cares what other people buy? Why do you have to give people a hard time for buying a 4-door and call them not real jeeps? It’s none of your business where other people spend their money” -I get a little aggravated. Yeah, buddy, I do care how other people spend their money because guess what? If enough of them don’t buy two door Wranglers, the aftermarket for 2-doors will dwindle. And if even more don’t buy 2-doors, the Unlimited will become the only Jeep you can buy and the classic 2-door will go the way of the dinosaur.

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
JCR and Ace both have boatside style sliders for 2 doors.

I'm planning on the 2" dynatrac lift. Not exactly the height your after but closer than most.

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Skyjacker has a 1-1.5" coil kit. Probably 1.5 with the 2 door. We have Barricade sliders but I have no idea how durable they are as we haven't been through any difficult terrain. I'm sure they're junk to some hardcore rock crawler people but they'll most likely work for us.

20190602_110723.jpg

20190702_091729.jpg

Sponsored

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry I thought you were only looking for aluminum skids not sliders. Not very many aluminum boatsides even for jk's. My guess is Nemesis will be first to market with something. All their stuff is aluminum. 2 door Billyrockers on Teraflex sema JL

teraflex-jl-jeep-wrangler-sema-2018-a33a0048-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
keep in mind that these places are small shops in a competitive niche market and need to go after the products that will sell well and get a return on the development cost fast

for the lift 1" full spring kit does not make much sense for a company to go after as the kit will be just as expensive as 2-3" kit and the performance will not be much different than a budget boost spacer kit that will be a fraction of the cost.

for the belly skid everyone has been slow making them even the 4 doors, the 3.6 4 doors tend to be the first released because that is what most people have then you slowly see them bring out the 2.0 stuff and then they will get the 2 door stuff in. From what i can tell from the transfer case forward but behind the transfer case it is different due to it being a smaller tank and squished up. But that being said the stock tank skid is actually pretty good for a stock skid the biggest concerns would the engine and trans which are exposed and a lot of places are making a modular kit that allows you to piece it together and will tie into the stock tank skid. But with that all being said with your build plan i wouldn't worry about weight on the skids that much as the lift is minimal and this stuff sits at the very bottom helping to push the cog lower to the ground.

for the sliders i am surprised there is no much out there, they have been slow even with the 4 doors i feel like and they are the easiest things to make, but there is not much for boat sides but once you are getting into that territory you might be better making yourself if you know how to weld

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
Having a 2dr. JL and trying to kit it out has been very frustrating. Some big ticket items from vendors just aren't happing or happening soon enough to suit me. Come on Vendors show us 2dr. owners some love. We got money too! I've been looking for three months now and these items are missing.
1" maybe 1-1/2"lift kit designed for a JLR.
JLR's(2dr. rubicons) only really need a solid 1" lift for 35" tires from what I've read but I can only find spacer's. How about a dialed in progressive coil and quality set of matching shocks ? None I've found. I don't want JLU designed 2.5" or higher lifts. Those are 1/2" higher than needed for 37" tires on a JLR from what I've read. 2.5" lifts make 35" tires look small on a JLR and raise the CG point higher too. JL's are lighter and have less carrying capacity, they don't need the heavy capacity JLU springs. Jl's shorter wheel base has a better break over angle and will clear with a 1" lift what it takes a JLU with a 2.5 lift. Again from what I've read.
How about some aluminum armor? A light, lower center of gravity JL needs armor. Light weight armor...
Belly pan? Nope, one heavy 180 lb. offering is all I've been able to source and it's as heavy as less expensive metal offerings. It's not the cost but the weight that's wrong.
Rock sliders? Nope. High clearance boat sided rocker sliders would be my choice and they make them for the JLU. Step slider too but they are for mail cruisers, soccer Mom's and kids, IMO. Not a JLR.
Help me out vendors and fellow 2 dr. owners. School me where I'm wrong, please. I would love to be wrong and finish my build.
BTW, JL's with either 2.0 or 3.6 motors have a 400lb weight saving advantage over a JLU. With light weight aluminum aftermarket bumpers and armor JL owners can bump the weight savings to twice that. Performance, economy and durability are mostly over looked in the JL model IMO. Now where is the popcorn haha.
Amen!!!!

Sponsored

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Thank you. I have heard it mentioned on other threads but never been able to chase it down. I will be inquiring to Skyjacker after the holiday weekend. I hope it is really spec’d by Skyjacker for a JL and not just pieced together items by Summit and being offered as a kit by Summit. I am thinking there must be a reason Skyjacker doesn’t list it ? I will post my findings.
I highly doubt it's pieced together. It's the same kit as the 2-2.5" with shorter coils. Summit is legit. Still would love to hear what you end up doing!

AllJumpStyle

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A big reason we're not making 1" coil springs or a 1" suspension system for the 2 door JL's is because the parts already exist. JLU springs and shocks will fit your JL and give you the lift you are looking for.

A second reason is progressive or multi-rate type coil springs are undesirable for this type of application because it is a low lift height and low travel. Just because they are progressive or multi-rate doesn't make them magic springs. The only reason we make multi-rate springs is because they allow us to run the primary spring rates we want with a longer free length allowing for more wheel travel on lifted vehicles. For shorter travel suspension or needing a shorter block height, linear springs are arguably better. Shocks can be better tuned to match them throughout their full amount of travel and they will be more predictable which means better driving feel. Most complaints associated with linear springs have nothing to do with the type of springs they are. An incorrect spring rate, mis-matched shocks, or simply bad shock tuning are what's contributing to this perception.

I guess what I am trying to say is you have to look at the vehicle's suspension as an entire system with multiple interacting components. The lift heights and components we have chosen are because they work together and give a substantial benefit to the vehicle. There is not much benefit to be had in a 1" lift system. If you are just going for looks, there are other ways to do it.

Grimace-912

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon and 9 other bikes, trucks, cars :)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
For the record, most of what you're looking for is extremely specialized and stuff that only a very small niche market are looking for. You'd be better off finding a shop that does custom fab work and getting some things built for you. As far as the lift goes, why did you think you'd be better off with springs than spacers for 1"?

SpookyXJ

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S 2 door auto
Vehicle Showcase