Sponsored

JL accessories to avoid at ALL costs (post your warnings here)

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
Odd? How many people have had numerous issues with the kit? The springs bow and rub, the lower control arms don't properly adjust the caster, they do nothing at all to correct the axle alignment with track bars or brackets. It is incredibly overpriced compared to the competition. I stand by my statement.
Totally agree. Everyone I know who actually take their JL off road all removed the Mopar lift and went with another.

Malamutants13

First Name
Sarah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport S
I randomly sat in a JL at the dealer to see what the headroom was like, and when I reached up to measure with my hand, I poked the headliner, which was peeling off. On a brand new jeep at the dealer. :LOL::like:

Honestly if the really easily visible stuff like that is screwed up, I hate to ponder what atrocities are going on inside the engine and behind the scenes.
The factory headliner was falling on the model the dealer was showing me on the lot too

Sponsored

#HERJL18

First Name
Stacy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Work Hard - Play Harder
Totally agree. Everyone I know who actually take their JL off road all removed the Mopar lift and went with another.
Add me to this list. I installed the Mopar lift right after I bought my Jeep. I had many problems at 7,000 miles and so I replaced it with Metalcloak. I'm now at 25,000 miles and still so happy I made the change.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Exactly. Even though there is a thread on here that is 18 pages and counting of people complaining about it and talking about how to fix it. You won't find anything like that about anyone else's lift.

Unoman

First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara Unlimited
I've never quite understood the way the tailgate reinforcement is supposed to work. It seems to strengthen where it is attached to the tail gate, but not at all where the tail gate bolts to the body....seems that all the weight is STILL on the body bolts. The whole reason I did a bumper mount tire carrier on my JK. Just doesn't actually appear to do anything.
Yes I agree, I had the same problem with my 2014 JK. that time I used a Smitty Built rear bumper and tire carrier, worked great. The dealer told me that they had a great solution for this problem, which in fact did nothing. I am negotiating with them to fix the problem correctly this time, on my 2019 JL. They have tried a couple minor fixes but all have failed quickly. I believe the tailgate reinforcement is to attempt to protect damage to tailgate but doesnt really fix the problem of having a 100+ lb tire/wheel hanging on tailgate.

Texan42

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Yes I agree, I had the same problem with my 2014 JK. that time I used a Smitty Built rear bumper and tire carrier, worked great. The dealer told me that they had a great solution for this problem, which in fact did nothing. I am negotiating with them to fix the problem correctly this time, on my 2019 JL. They have tried a couple minor fixes but all have failed quickly. I believe the tailgate reinforcement is to attempt to protect damage to tailgate but doesnt really fix the problem of having a 100+ lb tire/wheel hanging on tailgate.
Yeah, on my JKU I went with an AEV tire carrier with the factory Hard Rock bumper...worked great.

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I second or fifth this.

After a few years, after the warranty, I’ll do this right.
Did you know that your dealership can not deny you warranty work just because you have a lift other than the mopar one on your Jeep? A lot of dealerships are misleading people about this.

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Did you know that your dealership can not deny you warranty work just because you have a lift other than the mopar one on your Jeep? A lot of dealerships are misleading people about this.
Did you know that yes your dealer can refuse to do warranty work and you would need to find another?;) Of course, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, this isn't a problem.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
if the dealership tags your vin, you won't get any warranty work done anywhere.
my dealer does not discriminate against any mods. they are jeepers too and will warranty any part for what it is.

myself, i will go with a rubicon express lift kit. best out there for our JL, when it comes to price and product quality.

MY2020JLUR

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ S & 2020 JLU R
I like to inform everyone that the Mopar headliners you get for $400 are a complete joke compared to the actual Hotheads version. I didn't realize how crappy they were until one of my panels glue melted off from the heat of a road trip so I got to see what their actual thickness (not). They're SO thin compared to HH. I'd love to know how much they actually cost to make. It's pretty much recycled cardboard covered in a thin carpet liner. Maybe it's plastic.. it's thin.
I ordered a rubicon yesterday with that mopar headliner, $525. ;(

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Did you know that yes your dealer can refuse to do warranty work and you would need to find another?;) Of course, if you have a good relationship with your dealer, this isn't a problem.
https://www.ncconsumer.org/news-articles-eg/making-the-most-of-your-auto-warranty.html

This particular article is about NC but it applies to all states. There are federal laws in place that hold the automakers to their legally binding warranty contracts. Now that doesn't mean that they won't try to do crooked things and use your ignorance of the laws against you. It's best to try to handle it at the lowest level possible. But everyone should be informed of the actual laws that protect them. They cannot legally void your entire warranty just because you installed a lift from another company. They can void the warranty on your axles or frame mounts if they can justify that the lift caused damage to those components for example. But in that situation, you can still fight it, and would still have warranty for the engine, etc..
Sponsored