JL 6-Speed Deliveries

SW Florida-Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys 2-Door, 2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Greetings all. I ordered a 2023 Wrangler Sport with the 6-Speed. According to the dealer it was built on 2/17/2023. At that time, it was sent to a storage facility Jeep uses while they "wait for a train to become available". I waited until 4/20 and cancelled the order. I was told you can't sell a new vehicle with an open recall, so I'm wondering if Jeep is holding these 6-speed Jeeps until they get a clutch fix. So, has anyone taken ownership of a 6-speed since March? My immediate concern is that I ordered a 2024 Willys from a different dealer and was hoping to get it this summer. Thanks
Sponsored

Dr. Jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Rubicon
Greetings all. I ordered a 2023 Wrangler Sport with the 6-Speed. According to the dealer it was built on 2/17/2023. At that time, it was sent to a storage facility Jeep uses while they "wait for a train to become available". I waited until 4/20 and cancelled the order. I was told you can't sell a new vehicle with an open recall, so I'm wondering if Jeep is holding these 6-speed Jeeps until they get a clutch fix. So, has anyone taken ownership of a 6-speed since March? My immediate concern is that I ordered a 2024 Willys from a different dealer and was hoping to get it this summer. Thanks
They haven't started to build 2024s yet. I wouldn't think you would see a 2024 until fall. Jeep still has to build remaining 2023s also, including the MTs.
I bet you they are just waiting for the MT remedy part, then update the vehicle and ship.

OP
OP
SW Florida-Hank

SW Florida-Hank

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Willys 2-Door, 2023 Gladiator High Altitude
Thanks Dr. Jones I guess my question should have been has anyone received a 6-Speed (2023) since March.

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler

Dr. Jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2dr Rubicon
Thanks Dr. Jones I guess my question should have been has anyone received a 6-Speed (2023) since March.
As far as we can tell, no MTs have moved since Feb 16. If you watch Jeeptracker, the numbers have not changed. Nothing has moved.
Tracker appears to be frozen right now to get a current status.

Sponsored

sanman357

First Name
Carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-*|||||||*- 19' Mojito! Rubicon 6-speed, 09' Ram TRX4, 67 Chevelle 300 Deluxe
not sure what’s going on with these carmakers not being able to make a stick shift truck.
It’s because they have to over engineer & over complicate everything.

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
Unfortunately the "over engineer" notion you are referring to isn't the old fashioned version where manufacturers would, from time to time, design excessive strength, durability or longevity into their products to go above and beyond intended purpose. The version you speak of is definitely the kind of "over engineering" where tech-obsessed organizations add bells and whistles that appeal to 2-second-attention-span consumers. The "over engineering" that generates increased failure points, needless complexity, and that yields poorer performance in the basic key functional area(s) necessary for the product to fulfill its primary purpose reliably.

Why have basic flywheel and clutch mechanism that follows 100+years of trusted and reliable automotive manufacturing principles when you can build in multiple clutches and plates that may have a few ancillary benefits but fails at the core functionality of a clutch. Why not also add a slew of additional software controls to make it work "better"? Right?

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Unfortunately the "over engineer" notion you are referring to isn't the old fashioned version where manufacturers would, from time to time, design excessive strength, durability or longevity into their products to go above and beyond intended purpose. The version you speak of is definitely the kind of "over engineering" where tech-obsessed organizations add bells and whistles that appeal to 2-second-attention-span consumers. The "over engineering" that generates increased failure points, needless complexity, and that yields poorer performance in the basic key functional area(s) necessary for the product to fulfill its primary purpose reliably.

Why have basic flywheel and clutch mechanism that follows 100+years of trusted and reliable automotive manufacturing principles when you can build in multiple clutches and plates that may have a few ancillary benefits but fails at the core functionality of a clutch. Why not also add a slew of additional software controls to make it work "better"? Right?
Since MTs in trucks have been around for 100 years now with few real changes, I think it is the selection of cheap components (to drive profit) that is the cause of this.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

thats alright. I am not sure about other states but California enacted a new law if there is open recalls they will not allow the vehicle to be registered to drive.... just had to get my work truck into the dealer for a stupid brake pedal calibration recall.. now im down my work truck until they send the papers to the DMV to release my tags. :mad: I really hope jeep gets this all sorted out before December when registration is due on it. I am going to be Pissed if my jeep has to sit in my driveway more than it does now LOL

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Willys 2 Door Manual.
Occupation
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
here is the thread about the whole mess with the clutch.

it seems they are holding new manuals hostage indefinitely until they patch their fix together. coincidentally ford is currently not building any manual broncos due to issues with their manual too.

not sure what’s going on with these carmakers not being able to make a stick shift truck.
Yes, at the end of the day, the whole thing is absolutely insane. Thousands of comments on threads here that FCA should do this or that, get this or that after market clutch. Good god, it’s a CLUTCH! They have been on vehicles for 120 years! My 21 year old. TJ is awesome to drive. This should never have been an issue. pisses me off because my 2023 Willys was days away from being built. If it had made the train I would be driving it as there is no stop sale order in Canada.

Sponsored

runningonemptyy

First Name
roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 wrangler
Yes, at the end of the day, the whole thing is absolutely insane. Thousands of comments on threads here that FCA should do this or that, get this or that after market clutch. Good god, it’s a CLUTCH! They have been on vehicles for 120 years! My 21 year old. TJ is awesome to drive. This should never have been an issue. pisses me off because my 2023 Willys was days away from being built. If it had made the train I would be driving it as there is no stop sale order in Canada.
i’ve just realized that had i won my lemon law case the replacement vehicle might have gotten tied up in this mess unless they rushed it out basically a month after the hearing.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
My personal thoughts is the FCA bean counters are seeing if there is any last ditch. Efforts where they can get a Recall passed through NHTSA without it costing FCA hundreds of millions. What are those sayings? You can pay me now or pay me later. Play stupid games, win expensive recalls.

aville65

First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Bug, 09 Jetta, 24 Tiguan R-Line, 21 JL Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I think we need to get some of the old crew engineers out of retirement and let them show this current generation how simple it is to build a working clutch assembly. I don’t want to hear about stop/start and all the emissions crap.
In my last ten years in business we probably did 100’s of dual mass replacements to solid flywheel clutches on VW TDI’s and everyone of my customers was happy as hell with the end product. Over engineered for sure is the right term! And yes my Wrangler is a 6sp manual.

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

You can be sure that FCA does not want to have to replace the clutch in tens of thousands of Jeeps (I think the number is 79K, not sure without looking it up). That's several hours of labor per vehicle as well as tying up dealer service bays, as well as training the service personnel and then the cost of the parts, etc. This is not an easy software fix. They are only going to recall all these under the duress of the NHTSA forcing them to, and you can bet there are some high level negotiations happening as we speak.

Albertaktm

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You can be sure that FCA does not want to have to replace the clutch in tens of thousands of Jeeps (I think the number is 79K, not sure without looking it up). That's several hours of labor per vehicle as well as tying up dealer service bays, as well as training the service personnel and then the cost of the parts, etc. This is not an easy software fix. They are only going to recall all these under the duress of the NHTSA forcing them to, and you can bet there are some high level negotiations happening as we speak.
Exactly. It will cost hundreds of millions to fix it properly and after 2 strike and cigar, I hope NHTSA will not settle for anything but an overhaul. Toyota had that massive recall years ago and they came through it ok. The shitty thing is FCA engineers know exactly what to do to fix it. Bow down you stupid bean counters. You had you 2 chances at a patch and failed.
Sponsored