JL 4 Door Soft Top Tailgate bar and rear soft top tabs hard to open

willyabc

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 Door Wrangler JL, 2021 4 Door Wrangler JL
Does anyone have difficulty rolling the tailgate bar up and out to remove as well as pulling out the soft top tabs from the tailgate retainers? It is difficult for me and almost impossible for my wife. If anyone has experienced this issue and have a recommended solution I would be happy to hear them. I have gone as far as cleaning and lubricating them with 3-in-One PTFE Lubricant. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
I also have the same problems and don't have any answers other than I keep a trim removal tool in the back that I use to help pop open the tabs.

Later,
Johnny

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
The crossbar is snug, to be sure. A slow but firm pull, up and out at the same time, is the correct technique in my experience.

The tabs are a little easier. After releasing one side, slide the rear window just a bit toward the other side. Those tabs will then release very easily. Reverse this during installation.

OP
OP

willyabc

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all! I did come up with a solution. On each end of the cross bar where it fits into the body mount, there are raised tabs that lock into the body mount. I ground the slope down making the bar easier to pull out. I also made a trim remove tool by dripping the tip of a pair of players into plasti-dip. The two things have made my wife much happier!

Sponsored

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I remember when people used to complain that the tabs were too easy to take out, now they are too hard!

OP
OP

willyabc

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I remember when people used to complain that the tabs were too easy to take out, now they are too hard!
Grinding down a little made it just right!

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
Does anyone have difficulty rolling the tailgate bar up and out to remove as well as pulling out the soft top tabs from the tailgate retainers? It is difficult for me and almost impossible for my wife. If anyone has experienced this issue and have a recommended solution I would be happy to hear them. I have gone as far as cleaning and lubricating them with 3-in-One PTFE Lubricant. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
When its colder out the tabs are a bit on the tight side to remove, due to the material contracting a little. When its warm out they are definitely easier to open is what i have noticed with mine.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I always untuck the lower tabs on both sides, first. Then I get the bar and give it a solid pull toward me, almost like a yank, and that's always been enough to get the process going. A little pull to one side or the other to get the 1st side untucked, and there ya have it.

Plenty of things on my jeep need to be approached with a steely gaze and sure hands lol
Sponsored