Sponsored

JL 3.6L - Oil Dipstick Issue

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
This thread has developed into a dipstick measuring contest.

LOL, I just could not resist the setup for that!

OP, did you get the new one? I'd take that right to the service manager of the dealer. That should be on them. I'll bet they get a few bucks for a new dipstick. Make them cover that. Their mistake. IF they balk, have them grab one out of another 3.6 and compare them right there. (Again, a dipstick measuring contest!) :LOL:

Otherwise you could post the pics here side by side and bring it to the attention of @JeepCares if the dealer doesn't cover it.
Funny, I did not read the first few posts in this thread.

I was only commenting on the post about the 5 qts. I should edit my post to say if you know your dipstick is the correct dipstick then... 8-)
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Funny, I did not read the first few posts in this thread.

I was only commenting on the post about the 5 qts. I should edit my post to say if you know your dipstick is the correct dipstick then... 8-)
But it really helped to set up the comedy, so it's all good! LOL!

zeebo56

First Name
Zee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler unlimited sport
Vehicle Showcase
@zeebo56

The JL/JT with the 3.6L, requires 5 quarts of oil.... You put in 5 quarts. 5 qts. is 5 qts.... No reason at all to bother checking the dipstick when you just poured in 5 qts. of oil... when you do the oil change.

------
From FCA press release when they introduced the 2nd Gen Pentastar...

"Windage-tray weight was slashed by 19 percent and front-cover weight was cut by 5 percent. *The oil pan was redesigned from a two-piece to a single-piece pan and the sump was reduced from a 6-quart fill to a 5-quart fill *– resulting in an overall 5-pound weight savings compared with the previous generation Pentastar V-6 engine."
That's what I figured. Was waiting for the reason on why it should be done haha.

Ilya

First Name
Ilya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 2019 sport 2 door 6MT
Don’t overthink it. Drain oil and put 5qts back in. No need to look at dipstick.
It could be useful wherever the oil is just below the min. So knowing the difference between min-max I can just pour it into and be sure that not going to overfill. By the way, the difference is 1 quart for 3.6 pentastar engine.

tma777

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Probably the reason why dealers were putting in 6 qts, tech had the short dipstick and just filled it up until the oil showed on the dipstick...😜
Sponsored