JL 3.6L - Oil Dipstick Issue

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JLU 3.6L
I've had the first 3 oil changes on my 2019 JLU done at 2 different dealerships but I decided it was time to teach my daughter (14yo) how to do an oil change so that's what I did Saturday.... a simple straight forward oil change (piece of cake).
1. Drain the oil
2. Remove oil filter
3. Prep and install new oil filter
4. Replace drain plug
5. Add 5 quarts of new oil
6. Reset Oil Life indicator
7. Check oil level on dipstick.... no oil on dipstick
8. Recheck oil level on dipstick.... no oil on dipstick
9. Verify that only 5 quarts of oil were drained - verified
10. Start engine - check pressure and temp gauges - let run for 5 minutes
11. Let engine sit for 5 minutes to let oil drain and recheck oil level on dipstick... no oil on dipstick... no oil residue on dipstick.
12. Confusion sets in at this point, research ensues with no answers found.
At this point I decided to measure the outside of the dipstick tube via placing a piece of wire from the top of the tube to where it tapers into the block above the oil pan.
Measured 27"
Dipstick measures 24" from the flat that sits on the top of the tube to the end of the dipstick.
I was able to get another guy in our local club measure his dipstick and he got 27-3/4"
Has anyone else experienced this on their JL 3.6L?
I can't find any recalls or notices from Jeep related to it but is definitely bugging me.
Sponsored

Ehmsea

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 13 Camaro SS, 04 Pontiac GP
Occupation
RF Engineer
wow...I wonder if the 2.0 has a shorter dipstick, somehow swapped (production or during oil change)? I'll try and measure mine but also 3.6...

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wow...I wonder if the 2.0 has a shorter dipstick, somehow swapped (production or during oil change)? I'll try and measure mine but also 3.6...
I wondered that myself but I can't find any dimensions online. I wondered if it happened when they were switching the production line from the 2.0L over to the 3.6L.
Looks like I'll have to order another dipstick, not something that's too popular as a replacement item.
I would appreciate it if you could check and let me know.

ralphgb

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited JL
I went and measured the dipstick on my 2018 JL 3.6. It's 29 1/8" overall, including the yellow plastic handle, and the metal part alone is 26 1/2".

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went and measured the dipstick on my 2018 JL 3.6. It's 29 1/8" overall, including the yellow plastic handle, and the metal part alone is 26 1/2".
Thanks for your help.

Sponsored

Deleted member 53226

I know everyone is just trying to be helpful, but I would advise against measuring and comparing these types of things. I tried that once, and just ended up feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes its just better not to know if you have the short dipstick or not.

WhereRU_A-A-Ron

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Willys, 2015 Toyota Sienna XLE
Occupation
Restaurant Manager
I know everyone is just trying to be helpful, but I would advise against measuring and comparing these types of things. I tried that once, and just ended up feeling sorry for myself. Sometimes its just better not to know if you have the short dipstick or not.
I am deceased :CWL:

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to go there...

AlamedaJeep

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Have you ever checked the oil prior to this DIY change? Just wondering if it is something that you never noticed or if something changed.

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever checked the oil prior to this DIY change? Just wondering if it is something that you never noticed or if something changed.
No I hadn't checked it myself prior to this but like I mentioned, the oil had been changed 3 different times at 2 dealerships and they didn't mention it.
From the feedback received so far it looks like the wrong dipstick was installed from the factory. I'll order a replacement.

Sponsored

pipincan

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 2.0L North Edition *Bikini Pearl*
How did the dealership technicians check the oil level when they serviced your jeep? Surely someone must have wondered why no oil was appearing on the dipstick.

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You give the average service tech WAY too much credit...
My guess is they just drain the oil and add the recommended quantity and donā€™t bother checking.

OP
OP

TLK76

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How much oil came out?
5 quarts came out and 5 quarts went back in.... the manual says 5 quarts is the capacity. Iā€˜ve now had 3 people confirm that the length on their dipstick is longer. Iā€™m going get another dipstick.
Sponsored