Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I really believe Jeep/FCA tried to provide us a more durable clutch/trans than previous but literally depended on other companies to provide it and they messed up.

It is what it is.. hopefully they make up for it.
Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
So just drove back with the CF2 installed. Definitely smoother engagement, no bucking and stuff really nice. It needs to break in for a bit, but brand new it pulls nice from stop no gas needed. Definitely much harder pedal force needed and the uptake from the floor is immediate, will take some getting used to! But the guy said those will loosen up a bit as it breaks in. Feels like you got a stout clutch underneath you now! The tech said the driveline is built like a tank, never seen so many bolts! I said great, but they should have put a real clutch in it too! Again feels great put much different animal than stock so be prepared to upgrade your stick driving skills!
I am at 89,000 on the stock clutch and off-road and tow an off-road trailer and recently towed the off-road trailer off-road for 200 miles as part of the Jeep Jamboree Emigrant Trail, which was a blast. I am definitely going with the updated Centerforce clutch. What was the decision to go CF II vs dual friction? I am just curious.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I am at 89,000 on the stock clutch and off-road and tow an off-road trailer and recently towed the off-road trailer off-road for 200 miles as part of the Jeep Jamboree Emigrant Trail, which was a blast. I am definitely going with the updated Centerforce clutch. What was the decision to go CF II vs dual friction? I am just curious.
I'm also interested in finding out. The dual friction is marketed as the more extreme of the two. I run the dual friction and can definitely say I've never lacked for clamping force. I also cannot find any negative to the dual friction. Why would would you want the CFII over the dual friction? Beats me!

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I'm also interested in finding out. The dual friction is marketed as the more extreme of the two. I run the dual friction and can definitely say I've never lacked for clamping force. I also cannot find any negative to the dual friction. Why would would you want the CFII over the dual friction? Beats me!
There was a reply that Centerforce recommended the CF II over dual friction if you were towing, but when the time comes I will contact them and discuss.

Robo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door JL Sport
There was a reply that Centerforce recommended the CF II over dual friction if you were towing, but when the time comes I will contact them and discuss.
Has it broken in any more? Curious to know if the clutch force eases up. I suppose I'm one of the few that likes the light clutch force from the factory.

Sponsored

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Has it broken in any more? Curious to know if the clutch force eases up. I suppose I'm one of the few that likes the light clutch force from the factory.
Mine has lightened up considerably, still more force required then stock but feels good. As someone wisely posted here or on another thread, I guess we need to treat it more like a racing clutch due to its much higher holding power over the OEM, treat it more on/off, doesn't like to be let out too slowly...you get used to it right quick...

Robo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2-door JL Sport
My concern is getting stuck in rush hour traffic in Houston. The light clutch makes that more bearable.

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
My concern is getting stuck in rush hour traffic in Houston. The light clutch makes that more bearable.
I have the CFII clutch. close to a 1,000 miles on it. Broken in nicely with a higher effort then stock but much better modulation. I live in north NJ can drive in peak NJ/NYC/CT traffic just fine on this clutch. One advantage in traffic is I can simply bring up the clutch h with no gas and idle it along at 3-5mph in stop and go, something the stocker would not do.

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Ordered JLUR
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
I have the CFII clutch. close to a 1,000 miles on it. Broken in nicely with a higher effort then stock but much better modulation. I live in north NJ can drive in peak NJ/NYC/CT traffic just fine on this clutch. One advantage in traffic is I can simply bring up the clutch h with no gas and idle it along at 3-5mph in stop and go, something the stocker would not do.
I have the factory 4.88's on the stock wheels and tires and I am curious about your statement here. I am trying to learn as much as I can about driving a manual well.

You said that you can "bring up the clutch h with no gas and idle it along at 3-5mph in stop and go, something the stocker would not do."

If I get into 1st, no gas, just clutch like you said, It doesn't take but a momentary release and it idles on flat ground at 2mph. It starts laboring below that (uphill below 2). Is this normal? Is it because I have the 4.88's that mine idles slower and has not had a problem using just clutch to get it moving into 1st?

Listen, I am no offroad/Jeep guru and I ordered the 4.88's because I liked the idea of going slow on trail and it has preformed beautifully for that. Now I want to understand everything that entails.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I have the factory 4.88's on the stock wheels and tires and I am curious about your statement here. I am trying to learn as much as I can about driving a manual well.

You said that you can "bring up the clutch h with no gas and idle it along at 3-5mph in stop and go, something the stocker would not do."

If I get into 1st, no gas, just clutch like you said, It doesn't take but a momentary release and it idles on flat ground at 2mph. It starts laboring below that (uphill below 2). Is this normal? Is it because I have the 4.88's that mine idles slower and has not had a problem using just clutch to get it moving into 1st?

Listen, I am no offroad/Jeep guru and I ordered the 4.88's because I liked the idea of going slow on trail and it has preformed beautifully for that. Now I want to understand everything that entails.
Your Jeep looks amazing with those half doors. I'm completely jelly...

For your question, are you on original 32" KO2s?

Sponsored

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
Your Jeep looks amazing with those half doors. I'm completely jelly...

For your question, are you on original 32" KO2s?
Half doors might be second favorite thing in the world. Forgot what the first was...

Affirmative, I am on the OEM KO2's.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

your 4.88 gears are basically a world of a difference from the 3.45 gears on the sports and the 4.10 gears on the rubicons. The 3.45 gears should never have been paired to the 6speed trans. At minimum 3.73's should be in every jeep IMO. I hated how my jeep start off the line with the 3.45's when i swapped in 4.10's it made a huge difference. cant wait to get the 4.88's installed this up coming week.

anyways as i ramble and loose the point. your gearing is allowing you to release the clutch without the need for gas where as the better clutch is making up for the lower gear ratio from the factory. at some point the clutch will need to be replaced. I will also be pinching pennies and ordering a center force clutch when my stock one starts to have problems

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
your 4.88 gears are basically a world of a difference from the 3.45 gears on the sports and the 4.10 gears on the rubicons. The 3.45 gears should never have been paired to the 6speed trans. At minimum 3.73's should be in every jeep IMO. I hated how my jeep start off the line with the 3.45's when i swapped in 4.10's it made a huge difference. cant wait to get the 4.88's installed this up coming week.

anyways as i ramble and loose the point. your gearing is allowing you to release the clutch without the need for gas where as the better clutch is making up for the lower gear ratio from the factory. at some point the clutch will need to be replaced. I will also be pinching pennies and ordering a center force clutch when my stock one starts to have problems
Thanks for the reply. You are confirming what I intuitively thought about the gearing. I'll tell you one thing, the damn 4.88's make the Jeep fun to drive in only a way that other Jeepers and certain folks can understand.

It's quick for about a second off the line, jumpy as hell if you rev too high trying to be smooth, 1st to 2nd is rough, 5th and 6th are basically the same gear. But, take it off the road and I'll be damned if it isn't the most wonderful thing in the world.

Some guy I had never heard of until I started googling a second ago said:

“In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.” - Patrick Rothfuss

All that to say, you as a man of culture, will freaking love the 4.88's. I'm stoked for you.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

Thanks for the reply. You are confirming what I intuitively thought about the gearing. I'll tell you one thing, the damn 4.88's make the Jeep fun to drive in only a way that other Jeepers and certain folks can understand.

It's quick for about a second off the line, jumpy as hell if you rev too high trying to be smooth, 1st to 2nd is rough, 5th and 6th are basically the same gear. But, take it off the road and I'll be damned if it isn't the most wonderful thing in the world.

Some guy I had never heard of until I started googling a second ago said:

“In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That’s as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect.” - Patrick Rothfuss

All that to say, you as a man of culture, will freaking love the 4.88's. I'm stoked for you.
you can always start out in 2nd gear too. you don't have to always start in 1st. I can manage a 2nd gear start with 4.10's and my 35" tires but its a little work so it doesn't happen for me very often

keeperman13

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mortar Manufacture
Vehicle Showcase
you can always start out in 2nd gear too. you don't have to always start in 1st. I can manage a 2nd gear start with 4.10's and my 35" tires but its a little work so it doesn't happen for me very often
If the nose is pointed down at all I tend to start in 2nd. Works like a charm. I will be curious to see what you think about the 4.88's once in. If you don't mind me asking, all-in, how much is the swap going to cost you?
Sponsored