Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I think you'll be fine and if the dealer is working on it, a non-dealer trans shop will get you sorted in short order.

That's what I typically wait on, the local trans shops to catch up which I thought would happen with this new Aisin trans/clutch. It's an offroad vehicle, why wouldn't it be 40% of sales like all the priors.. unfortunately that wasn't the case with the JL.
Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
I'm just looking for positive reinforcement that putting the CF2 in my Sahara was a smart move even before clutch problems...
I'm guessing you'll like driving with the heavier flywheel better.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Its at a dedicated tranny shop, thought that was the best option. They have installed several OEM replacements (LUK) but not the new CF2 with hydraulics, which they seem to have to figure out a bit I guess...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
the 17# heavier flywheel and upgraded hydros should be a huge improvement

toycrusher was a very early adopter and should have more real insight than me..

Sponsored

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
This forum loves to bag on ESS systems, but it's not clear to me at all that ESS is the reason for the dual mass flywheel setup. Fuel economy - yes. A lighter flywheel is better for fuel economy, but then once you've gone to a lighter flywheel, you need some other technique to reduce driveline shock down the rest of the driveline - hence the dual mass flywheel setup.

I think ESS is a red herring.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
hmmm. . yes there is ESS but I can't see that having that much to do with this... perhaps yes, if you double clutched after the restart.. I dunno

I do think you're spot on regarding the economy

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lighter clutch = easier on starter motor, or motor generator whatever they call it now I'd assume?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No one asks how a torque converter works :)..not easy to explain..

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm in medicine, clutch/torque converters are outside my area of expertise! I just want them to work without imploding, is that too much to ask!!!:headbang::CWL:

Sponsored

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
This forum loves to bag on ESS systems, but it's not clear to me at all that ESS is the reason for the dual mass flywheel setup. Fuel economy - yes. A lighter flywheel is better for fuel economy, but then once you've gone to a lighter flywheel, you need some other technique to reduce driveline shock down the rest of the driveline - hence the dual mass flywheel setup.

Dual mass (junk) flywheels have been around for a LOT longer than ESS.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
now you're learning!! its fun.. everyone needs to know how these things that carry us from place to place work at the mechanical level

Its like the people who think our groceries and meat grow in a corner mart..

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

In short, it takes more energy to get a heavier mass spinning. The energy comes from fuel. There was a lot of money spent developing ESS for some very minimal gains. You can bet the flywheel and clutch was up for discussion when engineers went to work on saving that 1% of fuel economy. I think it's silly in a hot climate but it's collectively probably saved a few gallons of fuel over the years. Worth the investment? Not to me

Tncdrew

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Willys, 3.6L - 8spd
In short, it takes more energy to get a heavier mass spinning. The energy comes from fuel. There was a lot of money spent developing ESS for some very minimal gains. You can bet the flywheel and clutch was up for discussion when engineers went to work on saving that 1% of fuel economy. I think it's silly in a hot climate but it's collectively probably saved a few gallons of fuel over the years. Worth the investment? Not to me
"Worth the investment?"
Of course it is, especially when you have one of the best selling vehicles of all time, and are forced to produce it under these federally mandated restrictions.
https://www.motor1.com/news/577415/feds-finalize-fuel-economy-standards-2026/

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So just drove back with the CF2 installed. Definitely smoother engagement, no bucking and stuff really nice. It needs to break in for a bit, but brand new it pulls nice from stop no gas needed. Definitely much harder pedal force needed and the uptake from the floor is immediate, will take some getting used to! But the guy said those will loosen up a bit as it breaks in. Feels like you got a stout clutch underneath you now! The tech said the driveline is built like a tank, never seen so many bolts! I said great, but they should have put a real clutch in it too! Again feels great put much different animal than stock so be prepared to upgrade your stick driving skills!
Sponsored