Sponsored

JKS, Rock Krawler & Metalcloak 2.5" lifts....

Which 2.5" lift???

• Total voters
OP
OP
Sting Gray Rubi

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
I tried to find a picture of when I finished the lift and measured, but of course I can't find it. I installed the Daystar spacer kit, with the longer lower control arms and the Fox shocks from the Mopar lift. Because it's a spacer it will be exactly 2" of lift exactly. And with the factory springs and Fox Shocks it rides great. It just doesn't flex as well as others. This is right after the lift.
20200316_192305.jpg

And this is how it sits now with the fender chop and some too large 38s.
IMG_20211031_194640_729.jpg
Sitting on 38s what's your measurement from ground to bottom of fender, particularly up front? Also, I didn't know you could get the Mopar Fox shocks without the entire kit??
Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
Sitting on 38s what's your measurement from ground to bottom of fender, particularly up front? Also, I didn't know you could get the Mopar Fox shocks without the entire kit??
I can't get you a measurement for a while as I am working remotely without my Jeep.

I found the shocks on Craigslist. Local guy bought a Mopar lift and wanted to change the shocks out for Teraflex Falcons. So I got a killer deal.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Apparently this is a normal situation. Metalcloak said that they account for winch, belly skids, full size spare and rocker rails in their advertised height. They said if I don’t plan to add any of that additional weight to expect about 3.25” of lift after the springs settle in 500-1000 miles. Also recommended that I get the spring correction pads to get rid of the slight, yet noticeable bow. Apparently the JL’s are hit or miss on them being needed.

2 door, 2.5” springs are an option, but may end up with less than 2.5” if additional weight is added down the road.

So long story short, the only thing I’ve got 100% resolved at this point is that I know I didn’t screw up the install!

OP
OP
Sting Gray Rubi

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Apparently this is a normal situation. Metalcloak said that they account for winch, belly skids, full size spare and rocker rails in their advertised height. They said if I don’t plan to add any of that additional weight to expect about 3.25” of lift after the springs settle in 500-1000 miles. Also recommended that I get the spring correction pads to get rid of the slight, yet noticeable bow. Apparently the JL’s are hit or miss on them being needed.

2 door, 2.5” springs are an option, but may end up with less than 2.5” if additional weight is added down the road.

So long story short, the only thing I’ve got 100% resolved at this point is that I know I didn’t screw up the install!
.....and you're basically stuck with the kit I assume?

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue

Please keep us updated on what you end up doing.

I have a 2.5" GameChanger coming and am a little concerned about the height.

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
I don’t know. Metalcloak hasn’t offered anything other than advice, but I haven’t asked them for anything either. I was told that I’d need the lower correction pads. I somewhat expected that they’d offer to send them to me due to it be a known, common issue, but they have not. Still trying to decide if I want to roll the dice and see if it settles a couple of inches, or ask to exchange for the 2 door springs and hope they don’t settle too much.

This crap is frustrating. I'm used to old school leaf spring lifts from back in my 20’s. They were always within a 1/2” of what the lift was advertised to be.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
HUGE thumbs up to Metalcloak customer service! I requested an even exchange for the springs, and offered to pay for the lower correction pads. Metalcloak has the 2 door 2.5" springs, correction pads and upper leveling shims being shipped today. No cost. And already received FedEx return labels for my old springs. All of this transpired less than 24 hours after making the request. Definitely recommend doing business with them.

Just keep in mind that your lift will be more than you expect if your Jeep doesn't have a couple hundred pounds off added accessories, and you won't be disappointed.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Lift, wheels and tires - DONE!
Net gain of 3.5” with the 35’s. Would have been spot on at 2.5” with 33’s.
Jeep Wrangler JL JKS, Rock Krawler & Metalcloak 2.5" lifts.... AD761DE5-8F39-46C7-A657-FB52FDC2C0B8

OP
OP
Sting Gray Rubi

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Lift, wheels and tires - DONE!
Net gain of 3.5” with the 35’s. Would have been spot on at 2.5” with 33’s.
Jeep Wrangler JL JKS, Rock Krawler & Metalcloak 2.5" lifts.... AD761DE5-8F39-46C7-A657-FB52FDC2C0B8
Awesome! So you ended up with the 2dr 2.5" springs?

Sponsored

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Awesome! So you ended up with the 2dr 2.5" springs?
Yep. Noticeably easier to install. Had to use a spring compressor for the 4 door springs. The 2 door springs just took a bit of muscle. Gained exactly 2.5” before I put the 35’s on.

OP
OP
Sting Gray Rubi

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Yep. Noticeably easier to install. Had to use a spring compressor for the 4 door springs. The 2 door springs just took a bit of muscle. Gained exactly 2.5” before I put the 35’s on.
Awesome man! Glad they took care of you. Can you shoot me a measurement? I'm curious to know what the measurement is from the ground to the bottom of flare.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Awesome man! Glad they took care of you. Can you shoot me a measurement? I'm curious to know what the measurement is from the ground to the bottom of flare.
Stock was 39”. I’m now at 42.5”. Tires stick out past the fender 2.5”, so the total height could be +/- an 1/8” or so.

OP
OP
Sting Gray Rubi

Sting Gray Rubi

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Unlimited
Stock was 39”. I’m now at 42.5”. Tires stick out past the fender 2.5”, so the total height could be +/- an 1/8” or so.
Wheel specs?