Sponsored

JK vs the JL issues at beginning of model life

ricku

Threads
Reaction score
I been a 'Jeeper' since 1998 when I bought a new TJ. Since I've had a JK Sport (new in 2007) and then a JK Willys. These were all 2drs.
I now have a 2dr JL Rubicon.
My question is (if anyone can remember) when the JK was first released, did it have the plethora of problems that I keep reading about in this forum. Note that I didn't subscribe to any Jeep forums back when I got my first JK. (both of my JK's were bulletproof). I have had no issues with my JL yet other than a flash for my radio. Yet I see everyday there are new issues on the JL. Supposedly this Jeep was tested for over 3 million miles. Am I over reacting ? Did the JK have pages and pages of issues too ?
Sponsored

Highonlyfe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2011 JKU
The majority of JL's are trouble free.

The ones that do have some issues, the owners are trying to find solutions, or are giving the community a heads up with issues, problems they have come across. Thats why you see quite a few threads regarding issues.

The owners with problem free jeeps, the majority dont make threads saying "my jeep is problem free". Because that should be expected.

Its mostly an all new setup and new things never added to a wrangler before. Issues come up

EMJeep

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 2008 JKU (bought new) and there was some recall having to do with the brake lines. Got the recall done, then after 50k miles the brake pedal just hit the floor. Took it in for work several times. They bled the brakes and it was “fixed”. Then it would happen all over again. I escalated as much as possible and the dealership said they had called Jeep engineers and they still couldn’t find a permanent fix. By that time I had had enough. Traded it that day, while still in their shop, for a 2014.

I was a member on jk-forums at the time but I never posted about my experience. The 2014 was perfect. Sold it when th JL came out and have been happy ever since. Try not to get too caught up in the complaints. Some are completely legitimate. Others may just be venting and/or embellishing. Problems do happen, but they happen with other makes and models as well. It is what it is.

I agree with Highonlyfe, the majority of JL’s are most likely trouble free.

hutchman

First Name
itufoijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Willy
I've driving these things for 30 years and it seems there have always been some issues. My thoughts are the JL is not a lot different in that aspect but clearly, there is now quite a bit more access to the internet for information.....both good and bad.

I know if mine was causing problems, I would not be happy. I do think there are those who have never owned a Jeep before and were not prepared for the "experience!"

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Complaints of the jk release to the JL release on forums will never be comparable. Although I’ve been accused of being a Luddite, I haven’t had a smartphone but the past 4-5 years. If people didn’t have that easy instant access to the internet, you would have fewer JL complaints. For a lot of people, that access wasn’t available back then to them.
All new models have complaints. The reason you hear more now, is that it’s easier to listen.
Sponsored