Jk vs JL is it worth an upgrade

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
Well it has reclining rear seats... I don't think there are many 2 door vehicles that do that... it's on par with Maybachs and RRs ;)
It is definitely on par once you ignore the safety ratings, the lack of power steering, an A/C and a Radio!
Sponsored

sinisterj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Here is my experience owning a JKU for 7 years and now a 2020 JKU. For the reason of gas mileage I would not say it is worth it as even though the JL gets better gas mileage, the savings would not make it worth the trade. I can tell you that my 2013 JKU I absolutely loved but was not my DD. Since I got my JLU that is all I have driven and have not driven my other vehicle that I usually drove daily (GMC Yukon). The JL made the Jeep much more comfortable for a DD with the 8 Speed transmission and updated creature comforts. I enjoy the JL so much that I am contemplating trading my Yukon in for a Gladiator so I can have both.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Now your Talking, I tried to get my wife to buy a Gladiator. She has a Tacoma now (its all built)and she is on the fence, I dont think its going to take much to push her to the proper side... Ha Ha

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
For the reason of gas mileage I would not say it is worth it as even though the JL gets better gas mileage
If mileage was an important consideration the first thing to do would be to put on tires from a sport model. There are lots of those available at low prices on the used market.

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Here is my experience owning a JKU for 7 years and now a 2020 JKU. For the reason of gas mileage I would not say it is worth it as even though the JL gets better gas mileage, the savings would not make it worth the trade. I can tell you that my 2013 JKU I absolutely loved but was not my DD. Since I got my JLU that is all I have driven and have not driven my other vehicle that I usually drove daily (GMC Yukon). The JL made the Jeep much more comfortable for a DD with the 8 Speed transmission and updated creature comforts. I enjoy the JL so much that I am contemplating trading my Yukon in for a Gladiator so I can have both.
Ditto! We are thinking about getting a second JL also (this time a 2 door). We have a fully loaded Rubicon in the family (3.6/8 speed). Fiancee and I now thinking about getting a 2 Door Sport S model with just a Hard Top, Side Steps and the Turbo 4 (very spartan compared to my JLUR). I also want to buy a Gladiator but she wants something small. 2 door it is then! Must say once you go Wrangler or Gladiator, it is hard to go back to something else.

PS: debating between the Alpine Sound System or the Stock Radio for the 2 Door JL. Will probably go Stock in order to save $$$

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
debating between the Alpine Sound System or the Stock Radio for the 2 Door JL. Will probably go Stock in order to save $$$
In my sport the wind noise at highway speeds part way drowns out the radio, unless you wanted to run the radio at high volume levels I don't think I could tell the difference in the 2 radios.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
In my sport the wind noise at highway speeds part way drowns out the radio, unless you wanted to run the radio at high volume levels I don't think I could tell the difference in the 2 radios.
I'd love me the Alpine but just dont want to add $1300 to an already $36k 2 Door Sport S. Think I will be able to live without it. It will be better than the Radio I have in my 2012 Mahindra Thar in India. As a matter of fact even a 1950s Radio with a missing vacuum tube is better than what I have in that Thar.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
Ditto! We are thinking about getting a second JL also (this time a 2 door). We have a fully loaded Rubicon in the family (3.6/8 speed). Fiancee and I now thinking about getting a 2 Door Sport S model with just a Hard Top, Side Steps and the Turbo 4 (very spartan compared to my JLUR). I also want to buy a Gladiator but she wants something small. 2 door it is then! Must say once you go Wrangler or Gladiator, it is hard to go back to something else.

PS: debating between the Alpine Sound System or the Stock Radio for the 2 Door JL. Will probably go Stock in order to save $$$
Go stock and then install your own, I saved big$$$$$ and it sounds better? Look at Insane sound..

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Go stock and then install your own, I saved big$$$$$ and it sounds better? Look at Insane sound..
What system did you install? Can you share a rough cost?

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Question about that head unit, is it XM radio ready, as in add a antenna and run it? Or do you have to have a separate receiver and run it into an aux port?

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
If you like the way the JL drives over the previous Wranglers, you’d love the new Bronco with it’s IFS. 99% of the driveability talk has been about how much better the JL is on the highway, despite this being an offroad vehicle. The Cherokee drives as smooth as it does because it has IFS. IFS is coming it’s just a matter of when, and then everyone with the IFS Wranglers will be trashing the JL’s. Wranglers owners rarely go off road, myself included. Just don’t have the damn time these days. Bronco sales are going to be the nail in the coffin for solid front axles. Oh well. I’m not enough of a fan boy to care but lots are. Fiat is pushing really hard to make the Wrangler as main stream as possible and solid front axles just don’t cut it for mainstream highway driving over time. Fact is once the front end parts start to age, you can get death wobble. Even new Wranglers get it bone stock. Not so with IFS.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Most, if not all, of the comments pertaining to the JL’s improvements pertain to infotainment systems and driveability, the stuff of any SUV or Crossover. Not a slam at all just an observation on where Fiat took the JL and where it appeared to be taking the wrangler line before Stallantis bought it, which is stealing crossover and suv customers from Honda and Toyota. Fine with me I don’t care at all, but not a single comment on this thread pertaining to the JL’s axles, angles, drive gear ratios, lockers, etc, things that pertain to, well....offroading. Interesting. I figure Stellantis will take steps further in this direction.

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Most, if not all, of the comments pertaining to the JL’s improvements pertain to infotainment systems and driveability, the stuff of any SUV or Crossover. Not a slam at all just an observation on where Fiat took the JL and where it appeared to be taking the wrangler line before Stallantis bought it, which is stealing crossover and suv customers from Honda and Toyota. Fine with me I don’t care at all, but not a single comment on this thread pertaining to the JL’s axles, angles, drive gear ratios, lockers, etc, things that pertain to, well....offroading. Interesting. I figure Stellantis will take steps further in this direction.
Honestly speaking I think the last true Jeeps were from the AMC era (CJ, YJ, TJ). Starting with the JK, FCA slowly started adding creature comforts. I kind of miss those. Too bad I was a kid when the last TJs rolled down the production line. I kind of like the spartan interior and accessories those Jeeps had.

i love my JL no doubt. But if I want the true spartan/old school experience, I think my 2012 Thar in India gives me a better feeling. It has no power steering, A/C or ABS. A part of me misses my thar as it seems I maybe staying in the US this winter due to COVID.
Sponsored