Jk vs JL is it worth an upgrade

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
A bit? How about virtually every conceivable way possible from hood latches to the soft top design. Interior? Exterior? I could list 100 improvements. How about that cool 2008 tech? On that lil cute infotainment Atari quality screen. The JK is a dinosaur.
You missed the point complete. Nicer in looks yes, all new models tend to be nicer in looks then the previous model so NO argument from me. I bought a 2020 JLUR recently after owning both a 14 JK for my wife and a 13 JKU for myself (traded the 13 in on the 2020). Between the two we had over well 200,000 miles behind the wheels. Having those years and miles as experience I rate the JL series only a BIT nicer in functionality. Overall driving experience on or off road is not 100% better, it’s closer to 30%. Now not only do I have first hand JK to JL behind the wheel experience to draw MY opinion from I have owned enough cars and trucks to be able to make a fair comparison between old models and new. 47 to be exact, from Jeeps to LandRovers, BMW, VW, Ford, Chevy, KIA, Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Mini, Lexus, Subaru and FIAT. Oh and on top of all that I taught “EVOC” and “Off Road” driving as a instructor for years.

Now if high tech screens and pretty lights are super important to you, then GREAT the JL is awesome compared to a JK. But sorry to say even here the new JL tech is already dated compared to others in the truck market let alone SUV and car segments for vehicles of equal price points. So was the JK when it was introduced and even after it’s “refresh”, like you point out it’s a “Dinosaur”. I will sum up the YJ vs TJ vs JK to now the JL, “It’s a Jeep thing”...... to be “outdated” and “under perform” from day one of a model to the introduction of the next.

I glad you love your JL , I “like” mine, I enjoy driving it but I also enjoyed driving my JKs just as much. Which means IMO it makes my JLUR only a bit nicer because it’s new. How my opinion may or may not change will be determined after a few years of hard use and spotless reliability of all the little “improved” features vs the proven spotless 7 years and over 125k miles of hard use my JKU gave me.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
When I get in my JK after not driving it for a while, I'm reminded of the charm that initially made me love Jeeps. It's simple, basic, and quite honestly drives like SH** when compared to other modern vehicles. But that's what I love about it - Its "character". It's something I can see keeping forever.
Perfectly articulated.

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
You know honestly what totally sold me on the JL (I had a JK and many more) was the from the moment I got in it and sat back in the seat and shut the door with a good slam. I cant believe how tight this vehicle is. I love the ergonomics and infotainment with car play and the serious speakers. I had a BMW and I think I actually like my Jeep more (to drive around, freeway was a different story). I remember a few of my older jeeps. We would go out mudding and I would just turn the hose on the inside and pull the drain plugs out. First thing I did with this one was buy Husky matts. And make people take their shoes off when they get in...........
Huge difference...

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
When I get in my JK after not driving it for a while, I'm reminded of the charm that initially made me love Jeeps. It's simple, basic, and quite honestly drives like SH** when compared to other modern vehicles. But that's what I love about it - Its "character". It's something I can see keeping forever.
The 'character' is indeed the most fun part about driving a Jeep lol.

Not sure the JL is any different in that regard. They just added lots of little design details to the interior. Unless you went from a sport JK with manual everything and no AC to a JL Rubicon, I don't think the jump would be that massive.

Funny thing though. The JK's nav unit had better voice recognition. Man I hated that nav unit. Every day I remembered that I spent $1800 on that option and regretted it. lol

The JL's nav unit is indeed nothing new. The 8.4" screen started showing up on Chrysler cars back in like 2008 or 2010 or something. The computer hardware is a lot more modern, though. Still, it's simple, and I think simple fits a Jeep. I'm not sure I'd want an 18" 4k screen in the Jeep dashboard.

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Amazing how quickly a conversation about Jeeps can devolve into politics. No other forum I belong to is this way. Been this way for decades.
Oh clearly you never been to a gun forum...

Sponsored

jlopes68

First Name
john
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
ordered February 1st. 2018 2 DR JL rubicon, 3.6, auto, FC Red, cloth seats, soft top, LED, Alpine, Tow, steel bumpers. 2007 jk, 2006 F350, 2000 Excursion
Occupation
Construction
Vehicle Showcase
having both i would say yes, the JL is just better than its predecessor.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Needless to say the fuel economy on the JK is less then desired and keeping up with highway traffic is a struggle.
Why is it a struggle? I'm guessing yours is literally heavily modified?

Her and I recently started looking into the diesel wranglers for there good fuel economy and personally I love Diesel engines but is it worth getting rid of the JK to go to the JL diesel or even a gas JL?
Do you go with her when she goes to work? If the Jeep is for both of you, keep it and get a more economical ride for the distance when she has to go alone.

The JL is not a better Wrangler than a JK unless you fold the windshield down often.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
A bit? How about virtually every conceivable way possible from hood latches to the soft top design. Interior? Exterior? I could list 100 improvements. How about that cool 2008 tech? On that lil cute infotainment Atari quality screen. The JK is a dinosaur.
Hood latches: Did flutter scare you? Just swap out the latches. Even a child could probably do it.

Soft top: JL's soft top needs more space to remove and put on because you have to line shit up. It's actually quicker to fold the JK top down because you only need to take the two quarter panels out.

Cool 2008 tech: OP has a 2018 JK which is different to what you're thinking about. The JK sat nav worked a lot nicer than my JLUR's 8.4. Only people who don't know tech would use terms like "infotainment". At least my JK's factory reverse camera had better white balance than the thing in my JL.

What's better in the JK?
1. Better front visibility.
2. More open air feel when top is down for the rear passengers.
3. Stronger because of all steel. Look at front footwell damage in JL testing.
4. No... it's the same weight as the JL for most trims. Handles the same too.
5. Better, thicker leather used in seats.
6. Mopar half doors and heaps more half door options.
7. Hard top doesn't crack in the JK like it does with the JL when handling and storing.
8. Windshield doesn't crack like in the JL.
9. 5 speed auto is bulletproof. It's rated higher than the 8 speed. People use the stock one with V8 swaps.
10. Relatively simpler overall design. Less crap failed in my brand new JKUS over 5 years even with engine mods than in my brand new JLUR did in its first year.

Actual pros of the JL over the JK from someone who's not a android auto tik tok creep:
1. Better turning circle.
2. Lighter steering is helpful in traffic.
3. 8 speed and PUG makes shifts smoother and accelerate better.

That's it. Only #1 above was needed. 2 and 3 weren't a problem in the JK. The JL did introduce a whole lot of new problems though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
I think I found the "JK" you bought

:CWL: :CWL:
Ayyyyy! I love my Thar. So what it doesnt have power steering or ABS or Air Bags or Crumple Zones? ;)

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
To be fair every Jeep drives like sh** when compared to every other vehicle lol.

You’re right actually lol. I haven’t. It’s bad eh?
The Mrs. Jeep was in the shop and they gave us a new "Cherokee" loaner. Basically it's a large Honda CRV. Anyway we both drove it throughout the week and we both commented "Wow, that's really QUIET and SMOOTH, I forgot what that was like"... LOL.
Sponsored