Jk vs JL is it worth an upgrade

nostatic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JL Sport S PDN, '18 R1200GS Rallye
Occupation
chief bottle washer
I don't consider myself an especially rough-and-tumble type (e.g. I take cream and sugar in my coffee), but I find the JL 2-door to be fine for 150 mile runs each way (that is my "commute" now if I have to go into the office). Does it require a bit more attention than the GTI? Sure. But at the end of the day, time spent behind the wheel of a Jeep is still time spent behind the wheel of a Jeep.

Camry...umm....no thanks.
Sponsored

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
WHEN it hits $3.50 a gallon!!! That’s funny its almost always over $3.50 a gallon here in Ca. LoL.

Folks here don’t know how much they are getting bent over by this state in gas taxes and fees compared to the rest of the Western states.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
I hate to break it to you, but it's not just gas taxes and fees. That state has gone off the deep end, and is Soviet California now.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Fuel economy is only part of the cost- you have mechanical wear, tires, etc. Plus if a person has a long commute they are likely doing 20k miles a year so after just a few years their nice new Jeep becomes a high mileage vehicle. Some people worry about this more than others, I don't mind commuting in a high mileage vehcile but I don't like taking long trips in one. This is a good reason to have a beater to wear out driving to work while keeping your fun vehicle in good shape.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure if you own a Jeep and you are concerned about gas mileage you should look into this...

Jeep Wrangler JL Jk vs JL is it worth an upgrade 1598287969258

Sponsored

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
Thanks for all the info and advice. The wife and I went and test drove the JL and she loves all the new feature they have compared to the JK. I think we will end up getting one if the payments work out to what we are paying now.
Oh they’ll “make the payments work out” you can guarantee that. But that doesn’t mean you’re saving money. In fact, you’ll end up losing a ton of money. You’re just transferring expenses from the cost of gas for lost money on depreciation, taxes, insurance, cash and interest payments. You’re going to lose a TON of money in the end.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
In late 2017 my wife and I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK since we both love wranglers and at the time her commute to work was only a 10 mile at most round trip. Fast forward to now and we still love our Jeep but her commute has now gone up to a 50 mile round trip and she is now in the national guard having to make a 200mile round trip one weekend a month. Needless to say the fuel economy on the JK is less then desired and keeping up with highway traffic is a struggle. Her and I recently started looking into the diesel wranglers for there good fuel economy and personally I love Diesel engines but is it worth getting rid of the JK to go to the JL diesel or even a gas JL?
I get the fuel economy issues, but the Pentastar will keep up with traffic just fine, with 0-60 as fast as my wife's Mini Cooper S. Now the pre-2012 JKs (3.8 liter) were SLOW.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for all the info and advice. The wife and I went and test drove the JL and she loves all the new feature they have compared to the JK. I think we will end up getting one if the payments work out to what we are paying now.
If they make the payments equivalent to what you are paying now, I'd be careful about the deal. Other than "what can I do to sell to you today", the keep-the-payments-the-same is the biggest BS line in the showrooms. Run your own numbers. Caveat Emptor.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
If they make the payments equivalent to what you are paying now, I'd be careful about the deal. Other than "what can I do to sell to you today", the keep-the-payments-the-same is the biggest BS line in the showrooms. Run your own numbers. Caveat Emptor.
Yep. There’s just no way at all that you can trade in for something newer and end up saving money in the end. Unless a car is so old that it’s more expensive to maintain it than it is to pay for a newer one, I suppose. Or if you’re going from an expensive car to an economy car. Want to save money On gas? Add the difference in gas costs between the JL and JK to your 401k or Roth IRA. Done. You’ll MAKE money doing this, actually.

sixspeed

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S JL
In late 2017 my wife and I purchased a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JK since we both love wranglers and at the time her commute to work was only a 10 mile at most round trip. Fast forward to now and we still love our Jeep but her commute has now gone up to a 50 mile round trip and she is now in the national guard having to make a 200mile round trip one weekend a month. Needless to say the fuel economy on the JK is less then desired and keeping up with highway traffic is a struggle. Her and I recently started looking into the diesel wranglers for there good fuel economy and personally I love Diesel engines but is it worth getting rid of the JK to go to the JL diesel or even a gas JL?
In general, the JL is a big improvement over the JK. I’ve had both. The diesel is around $4000–you’ll need a lot of gas savings to break even. Otherwise, the best gas mileage JLs are the 2.0 turbo and the stick shift 3.6. The 2.0 gets good reviews. I gave up the manual 3.6 JL. It is not well suited for the almost 5000 pound Rubicon I now have.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
In general, the JL is a big improvement over the JK. I’ve had both. The diesel is around $4000–you’ll need a lot of gas savings to break even. Otherwise, the best gas mileage JLs are the 2.0 turbo and the stick shift 3.6. The 2.0 gets good reviews. I gave up the manual 3.6 JL. It is not well suited for the almost 5000 pound Rubicon I now have.
I have a manual with the 3.6L and my wife has an auto with the 3.6L and there is no way the manual can compare with the auto in terms of best gas mileage. That auto is amazing, the days of stick vehicles getting better gas mileage is over IMO. When comparing the two the manual is waaaaay more of a dog.

Spartan99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUX
“Big improvement” is debatable. Depends on what is being measured. Some reports indicate that the JL’s reliability is even worse than the JK, adding the potential for even more costs down the road.

ViperJon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'N Wrangler JL Rubicon
The JL series is a bit nicer then the JK series but not night and day nicer.
A bit? How about virtually every conceivable way possible from hood latches to the soft top design. Interior? Exterior? I could list 100 improvements. How about that cool 2008 tech? On that lil cute infotainment Atari quality screen. The JK is a dinosaur.

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The JK is a dinosaur.
I have a JL on order, but the new Jeep seems to cater to a different customer group. Kind of like the new 911 where you can’t even see the engine. Definitely nicer, but some of the “soul” is missing.
Sponsored