JK Hardrock/Recon vs JL Rubicon

TIDALWAVE

First Name
CHUCK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible, 2013 CHEVY SILVERADO, 2018 JLUR
Local dealers have a couple of JKR Hardrock/Recons for sale at quite a discount compared to a JLR. Are there any features in the H/R units that would be considered 'better' than the new JL Rubicon?
Sponsored

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Local dealers have a couple of JKR Hardrock/Recons for sale at quite a discount compared to a JLR. Are there any features in the H/R units that would be considered 'better' than the new JL Rubicon?
Probably only the leather heated seats, but you can get those on the JL as well. The pricing between them is pretty close, but the features are much better on the JL IMO.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Unlikely. The only major difference between the Recon and the standard JK Rubicon in terms of true capability or performance are the beefed up axles. Everything else, such as the decals, bumpers, rock rails, and hood are simply appearance package add-ons.

That doesn't mean the Recon is a bad Jeep, though. Quite the contrary. Even though the JK is on its way out, it's still an incredibly awesome and capable vehicle. It won't have all the bells and whistles of the JL, but it'll be just as just good on the dirt. With all the press videos and the kickass Arizona trail runs they did in their Rubis, I haven't seen the JL do anything on the trail the JK can't do. Even a base JK Rubicon would climb up all that terrain just as easily as the JLs did.

MooseMob

First Name
Lynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Mojito!
Occupation
Retired
I beg to differ - Bumpers and rock-rails, are not 'simply appearance'. They are very functional additions when the going gets rough. Even the hood should help with engine cooling and at least a minuscule amount with aerodynamics :)

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
I think he's wanting to know the differences between the JK Recon/HR and a JL Rubicon...not a JK Recon vs a JK Hardrock.

I'm new to Jeep, so I'm in no position to properly compare the two and answer him.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
My brother has a 2017 JK Recon, bad ass Jeep. He's content, but there are things he wished his has that mine has. Rear camera, 33 inch tires, LED tails, 8.4 inch screen and Remote proximity. I wished I had his red seatbelts.

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep 392, 2024 Jeep 392, 2023 BMW X7C
Occupation
Lurking the forum
I own a 17 jk recon... did some lil things like added a back up cam, better audio system, steps ect ect.... the reason i say this is bc IMO the jl rubi still blows aways my recon. I prefer the jl feel of the drive, all the new bells and whistles (keyless entry was the 1 question i asked when i bought my recon and was told no, jeep will never do a keyless entry so i bought the recon and here it is on the jl). ... so im anxiously awaiting my jl to arrive. My recon is great, i love it, but as a person who also drives high end performance cars, i feel the the jl new features puts it above my recon. I like the added room, wider and higher stance, techno improvements, proximity feature, and easier soft top. I like luxury, and the jl finally has a hint of jeep brand luxury, lol. I will still have to do somemore lil tweaks to the jl rubi (bumpers ect ect) but i vote jl. Guess the bottom line is what do you like about the jl and does the jk have it, and vise versa... what are you willing to give up by choosing between the two? Most importantly... why do you want a jeep... are you goin muddin, rock and trailin, or daily driving.... good luck deciding.
Anyday is a good day if your in a jeep... any jeep

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I own a 17 jk recon... did some lil things like added a back up cam, better audio system, steps ect ect.... the reason i say this is bc IMO the jl rubi still blows aways my recon. I prefer the jl feel of the drive, all the new bells and whistles (keyless entry was the 1 question i asked when i bought my recon and was told no, jeep will never do a keyless entry so i bought the recon and here it is on the jl). ... so im anxiously awaiting my jl to arrive. My recon is great, i love it, but as a person who also drives high end performance cars, i feel the the jl new features puts it above my recon. I like the added room, wider and higher stance, techno improvements, proximity feature, and easier soft top. I like luxury, and the jl finally has a hint of jeep brand luxury, lol. I will still have to do somemore lil tweaks to the jl rubi (bumpers ect ect) but i vote jl. Guess the bottom line is what do you like about the jl and does the jk have it, and vise versa... what are you willing to give up by choosing between the two? Most importantly... why do you want a jeep... are you goin muddin, rock and trailin, or daily driving.... good luck deciding.
Anyday is a good day if your in a jeep... any jeep
Since you have the Recon and are also waiting on a JL. May I ask how you feel about the Recon JK axles vs. the new Rubicon JL axles?

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Since you have the Recon and are also waiting on a JL. May I ask how you feel about the Recon JK axles vs. the new Rubicon JL axles?
Off the top of my head (while i sit in traffic so if you want dimensions or numbers, they aren't in my head to give).... the dana 44's have been improved for the jls to allow for larger tires, better turning radius, and steering BUT the important thing is that they new 44s are actually stronger (if memory serves also larger as in thicker) which is a big deal when you are discussing the front end 44. There were cases in the jk of the old 44s stressing (bending) which is no good. The new 44 should and has been "said" to eliminate that problem in the front end with the thicker tubes. I'm sure some of the more serious off roadies on here could give you more information...after im just a girl who hates traffic and uses her recon to go over medians, curbs, and around all those cars with no clearance! And thats what i am going to do right now! Up and over and seeeee ya!

Jjirish

First Name
Jenne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lurking the forum
Found this for ya...

20180314_175310.png
Sponsored