JK Bikini top installed on the JL

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Sport S 4 Door
Thanks to @Sling_Shot for the idea to modify the JK header channel so we can have a bikini before winter! Just got this done a few minutes ago. Still have to take off the front doors obviously.

I had to move both brackets on the header channel inward and towards the front. The Bikini top itself doesn't seem to fit correctly around the center pillars between front and back doors, so I had to hook the strap around the grab handle and another strap isn't secured at all. The two straps in the center of the top that wrap around the top crossbar and secure were too short so I used bungee cords to secure them.

Took it for a drive at 80 mph and all is well. Super happy!

left.jpg

right.jpg

approximate placement.jpg

after.jpg

without washer1.jpg

without washer2.jpg

with washer1.jpg

with washer2.jpg

overhead.jpg

channel.jpg

rear.jpg

drivers.jpg

closeup.jpg
Sponsored

Sling_Shot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS and 2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
Occupation
Executive Chef
Take them doors off, you will love it even more!!!!

brandonzach

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Unlimited
I just wanted to add to the post because I've got a few mods that will make the BestTop JK bikini top fit a bit better. The first difference is I was able to get the velcro strap to line up okay around the grab handle. It just has to be shifted back so the front of the strap goes through the center of the grab handle. You can wrap the next set of straps around the center door pillar exactly how it's done on the JK. Same goes for the next strap that attaches to the drip rail directly behind the rear door.

I also extended the straps that go above your head in the center of the bikini top with the same 1" nylon black strap that can be bought at any craft store(it looks factory this way. I attached the factory clips to these extended straps and they clip to freedom top mounts nicely.

And lastly, to attach the top to the back of the roll bar, just use some more of the 1" strap and attach it to the bottom screw holding the rear roll bar panel on. Hopefully the pictures I've uploaded will give everyone a good idea of how to get this done. I used approximately 3 yards of additional black strap to extend the 3 areas.

Also of note, the front bolts for the header panel are 1/4 x 20. I used a 1.5" length black bolt so it looks a little more factory.

IMG_0277.JPG

IMG_0288.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

IMG_0285.JPG

IMG_0283.JPG

IMG_0284.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brandonzach that is a different top than I have and it appears to be a much better top. Would you mind posting a link to that particular top?

brandonzach

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@brandonzach that is a different top than I have and it appears to be a much better top. Would you mind posting a link to that particular top?
I'm not sure of the model number but I know it is BestTop brand (it has a tag on it) and I remember buying it a local 4Wheel Parts a few years ago. I'll see if I can find a model number on it tomorrow for you. It's really surprising how well it fits! I was looking for a soft top to put on in the summer but I think this will work great.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is two Bestops apparently. I'm wondering if it's the other one. Would be good for people to know so if they are buying one, they can get the correct one. One big difference seems to be the straps near the grab handles. They look a lot different. I'll take better pics of mine tomorrow.

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, I applaud you for making the mods to the JKU BIKINI top adapt to the JLU, but

I'm afraid it looks like you've made a new MA & PA KETTLE JEEP-

If you bought something like that from the dealer--would you accept it without any complaints???

W.E.

JIMBO

BlairF

First Name
Blair
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS-S Mojito! - 2014 Challenger RT Classic (SuperCharged) - 2016 Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Technology Incident Management
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I applaud you for making the mods to the JKU BIKINI top adapt to the JLU, but

If you bought something like that from the dealer--would you accept it without any complaints???

W.E.

JIMBO
Not like any vendors have made one... so you gotta do what you gotta do.

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Yeah, that's a true statement-

I had to wait 6 MONTHS for delivery of my JLR, so I'll be a little patient if I want/need something that I can't produce acceptably-

I want a BIKINI TOP also, but until they make a good one I'll just keep the PREMIMUM TOP in SAFARI MODE-

W.E.

JIMBO
Not like any vendors have made one... so you gotta do what you gotta do.

brandonzach

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

W.E.

JIMBO
Mine fits just as well as it did on the JK. Everything is tight and it looks factory. The only thing that doesn’t line up correctly is the straps around the front grab handles but that doesn’t effect the functionality at all.

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

W.E.

JIMBO
LOL. I'm not fortunate enough to have a soft top, so I did what I had to. I had a Rampage bikini on order for a month, and of course, like everything else, the production date kept getting pushed back.

Right now I am enjoying my JL with a bikini, which allows me to take the top off even if there will be pop up showers (literally almost every day in Ohio) and not get soaked.

I believe the looks to be my fault because I may have bought the wrong top. I asked for help in a post because I couldn't tell what the difference was between the two models of bikini top and didn't receive any help, so I took a guess. Hopefully we will sort out the problem and find out what the correct part number is so others don't make the same mistake!

And of course there is also the option that I may be strapping it down wrong since I've never had a bikini top or a Jeep for that matter!

OP
OP
stuckinohio

stuckinohio

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I believe I linked to the correct product (by mistake, because that isn't the model of top I bought....) in post #2. I am not even going to link to the product I bought so someone doesn't buy the wrong one!

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RETIRED
Well, I'm surprised, you guys didn't jump on me like I was a "STERN" parent-

Thank you for being objective--I'm pretty set on vehicle symmetry and additions "FIT"-like my first (and only) dislike of the new Ruby is that stupid "ONE" red rear tow hook-

That was the first thing that came off, Right now I have a PINTLE in my trailer hitch for any (rare) towing/jerking I may have to do-

You guys got some pretty good looking jeeps too-

Have a great day

JIMBO
Sponsored