JK auto vs JL 8 speed?

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
After reading posts from those that have owned jk/jl manuals and autos, curious about the 8 speed. My 16 JKU had the W5A580 5 speed auto, loved that trans.

Just test drove a JL 6 speed manual, seems geared really high, but could . Live with thst.

But, buying used, and they do not get many low mike JL (2 door) manuals on trade.
So, how is the new 8 speed Torqflite compared to the MB auto.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 59498

JL all come with a great auto trans. It is the 8 speed ZF 850RE and everyone I ever read or talk to love it above any other transmission they have had, automatic that is.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Not sure what you test drove, JL has an 8 speed auto trans. Did you mean 6 speed manual?

Anyway, don't waste any time with concerns about the JL 8 speed auto. It's a fantastic trans. Coming from 30 years of manuals, not once have I ever said I wish I had a manual. It's very controllable and it has an uncanny knack for knowing what gear you want it to be in, during acceleration and engine braking. You can communicate with it through the throttle and only have to use manual shifting when you're in a special situation and want it to take more severe actions. It's the best auto trans I've ever driven.

Tool Guy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2020 BMW Z4, 2021 Tacoma, 2022 X3 M40i
No comparison between a 6 speed Auto JK and 8 speed Auto JL. The 850RE is fantastic.

Edit: I've owned both the JK and JL Automatics. I also have the same ZF 8 speed in both my BMW's. I love that transmission.

Last edited:

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

the 8speed auto is extremely good

Sponsored

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
I have the ZF 8HP 55 8 speed Transmission in my Audi and its at 229,000 miles and problem free. I am hoping to get the same problem free usage out of the Wrangler ZF 850RE

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
JL all come with a great auto trans. It is the 8 speed ZF 850RE and everyone I ever read or talk to love it above any other transmission they have had, automatic that is.
These are two different transmissions....the ZF is an actual buyout from ZF and used on the high torque engines (392 and diesel....not sure about the xe) and is a magnificent unit used by alot of high dollar cars. The 850RE is a Stellantis in-house transmission build.

"FYI, the 850RE is produced by Chrysler/Stellantis with tech licensed from ZF in Germany. The 8HP75 is built by ZF themselves in Germany and imported into the US,, and is used behind all Hemi V8 engine applications, including the 5.7L, 6.4L/392, and the 6.2L Hellcat."

Deleted member 59498

OK, mine is ZF so assumed the rest were the same.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

OP
OP
WillIeB

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
Thanks guys. I edited my original post. I test drove a JL manual, seem to be higher geared,

My initial thoughts on going manual was to avoid etorque, but i see Jeep added a 3.6 auto no etorque option.

Im buying used, so will take what i can get, 2 door hard top AC, and now will go 8 speed auto.

Thanks.

Reactions: J0E
OP
OP
WillIeB

WillIeB

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Colorado
See, another thing to love about the dieselā€¦ā€¦.still donā€™t understand why they killed it.
Because the eco diesel wss a warranty nightmare. The 3.0 was a great engine, until they dlapped the emissions equipment on ut. It was never designed for that garbage.
Sponsored