Jeep's response to Silver VS gold tailgate Plates

jlkehoe

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 392, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2008 JKU
I have been buying Chrysler, (whatever the Mercedes merger was called), FCA, Stellantis products for years and one thing that has been consistent is horrible customer service. I have also been a big supporter of Ford and while far from perfect makes Stellantis seem like the Dollar Store.

I currently have a 2021 Sarge Green 392, 2016 JKUR Hardrock, and a 2008 JKU Safari.

My 392 didn't have the 392 owners' manual supplement. After being accused of trying to scam a second one I was told that they never existed in print form. It took over 5 phone calls and 20 emails to finally get someone to actually send me one. Well past the recommended break-in period on a very expensive engine. I was literally on the phone with a customer service rep telling me that she had confirmed that they never existed in print when UPS dropped it on my doorstep.

I think the bronze 392 plate exemplifies their lack of customer support. I'm sure at first it was an oversight to not make one or they were on a lengthy manufacturing delay. I think when the decision was made to make a small change like this it would have been very classy and great customer service to contact the 1500 or so of us that don't have them and let us know they would be sending us one. Think what that little act would do for their customer service satisfaction surveys (they already do the badge of honor and these can't cost that much).

I liken this to the fact that they announce the extreme recon edition less than 3 mos after shipping the first models. I would bet over half of us would have chosen that option. They didn't even include wheels wide enough with appropriate backspacing to handle larger tires (but hey they are Beadlock capable). Customer service could also have said hey we realize that most of you would have liked a more capable wheel bring yours in and we will remount your tires on our new recon wheel for free (maybe if you upgrade to a reinforced tire carrier or already purchased).

At the end of the day Love your JEEP for what it is because the company never has and never will have customer service that remotley cares for its customers.
Sponsored

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered my JLURD in November and took delivery in March. I'd of gladly given up the 3.0L EcoDiesel badge to not have waited so long.

MARSHMELLA

First Name
Kirt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Military
Wouldn’t you have one of the most rare 392s if you have one with a silver plate though? ;)

OP
OP
asuperheat

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Wouldn’t you have one of the most rare 392s if you have one with a silver plate though? ;)
Not really, mine has the most common plate they probably ever produced. Definitely nothing rare about that.

I tried to have my dealer to order the correct plate. Corporate Jeep is just no help at all. If the part number listed here on the forums is correct the part number comes up without description, shows none in stock and none available to order so basically it cant be back ordered.

• Haha
Reactions: GtX

Sponsored

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
Not to be a kill joy, but is it really that big of a deal? I didn't even know it was back there. LOL.

I digress, I realize one persons issue is not even a blip on the radar to another. What perturbs me others would giggle at.

Sam

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Barrett Jackson or Mecum 30 years from now:

And now we have a factory original 392 Jeep Wrangler. As if the 392 wasn't enough, this particular one is a rare "silver plate" model with the documented original plate still in place, installed from the factory.

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Wrangler392; ‘20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
Not really, mine has the most common plate they probably ever produced. Definitely nothing rare about that.

I tried to have my dealer to order the correct plate. Corporate Jeep is just no help at all. If the part number listed here on the forums is correct the part number comes up without description, shows none in stock and none available to order so basically it cant be back ordered.
I feel you. Seems like an easy thing to fix but the devil is in the details. Corporate said they’re looking into it and will follow up on Friday on when they can get the part 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s embarrassing for a halo vehicle but I’m sure it’ll get fixed.

OP
OP
asuperheat

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
I feel you. Seems like an easy thing to fix but the devil is in the details. Corporate said they’re looking into it and will follow up on Friday on when they can get the part 🤷🏻‍♂️

It’s embarrassing for a halo vehicle but I’m sure it’ll get fixed.
I heard from them today. It seems they probably have heard from a few of us who want the correct plate and will try and do something. I did get conformation on the part number from them so that's a start. Now if they could make the part available to the dealers that would be helpful.

My file is still open, suppose to check in with me again next week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
asuperheat

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
Not to be a kill joy, but is it really that big of a deal? I didn't even know it was back there. LOL.

I digress, I realize one persons issue is not even a blip on the radar to another. What perturbs me others would giggle at.

Sam
Once I get started on something its hard for me to let it go.......

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
392 adds 1".
Gold plate adds 1".
It all adds up in the end.

Be all you can be.

JEEPIDON

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon, 2021 Gladiator Rubicon, 2013 Ram2500
Occupation
Retired - Business Consultant
The issue is they did create a Rubicon 392 specific plate with accurate information. They did not install the correct plate that was designed for my Jeep on my Jeep.

I'm not asking for anything that does not exist. I don't want one designed, don't even care if they install it. But when you buy the first Jeep offered with a V8 in forty years and pay a premium for it you want the parts to match.

But I must say no wonder Jeep gets away with this stuff. Many of you have some pretty low standards for what's OK in your world.
If you look into the detail you'll see that there was a date when the rear plate changed to the gold one. The bill of material is different so you didn't get a wrong one, you got the right one when the car was built. Like I suggested, get the one you want from the dealer (or internet) and install it.

That's the resolution. There is not going to be a factory recall, buy back, lemon law settlement or lawsuit directed toward the dealer/factory.

OP
OP
asuperheat

asuperheat

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKU, 21 JLUR 392
If you look into the detail you'll see that there was a date when the rear plate changed to the gold one. The bill of material is different so you didn't get a wrong one, you got the right one when the car was built. Like I suggested, get the one you want from the dealer (or internet) and install it.

That's the resolution. There is not going to be a factory recall, buy back, lemon law settlement or lawsuit directed toward the dealer/factory.
If you read my original post I know they figured it out and started installing the correct plate after they realized what they did, no need to explain it to me. I may have been the first one to state when it changed. I got it direct from my communication with Jeep and had not seen it before that.

If you read all my post on this thread you will see my position is you are simply wrong. You make it sound like they planed to screw up and install standard JL plates with wrong information printed and stamped on it (Its suppose to be that way). I have the wrong plate that someone at Jeep decided to install on my Jeep when it was built. Just because some moron decided to stick a standard JL plate on my 392 because they forgot to issue a P.O. to a vendor or whatever the failure was at Jeep that lead them to put the silver plate on a number of Jeeps to cover the screw up does not make it okay for me. I expect more. Again read my prior post on this thread. I have been pretty clear on this throughout on this subject.

I love how you suggest I want a lemon law, buy back or a lawsuit over it. Not the case. Never said or implied that. Just want people to do the job they get paid to do and want the corporation we all support by buying Jeeps to do the correct thing when people that work for them do not do the job they get paid to do. I know that is a lot for you to wrap your mind around from reading your post but it is really that simple.

Its not just a different color, it has the wrong info on it.

To think you are a retired business consultant is laughable to me. Made me giggle, it really did. Is this what you would recommend to someone paying for your services? Just tell your customers screw you we know it's wrong but get over it we will do nothing to correct it and you can deal with it. After all they already spent the money who cares if its correct.

Wow, speaks volumes.

JustinB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee, Ninja 650R, Jeep 392, Yamaha TTR230
I have an open case regarding another subject (I ordered two new 392 hood emblems months ago and have yet to receive them [can you believe the left & right side are dif part numbers - weird???].)
Anyways, in talks with my Jeep Wave Rep regarding the emblems I brought up the silver/bronze data tag thing as I have the silver tag/30". She said she was aware of the issue and she would add a new plate to my existing case. I'm supposed to hear back from her today, the emblems and plate are supposed to be expedited shipping...
Sponsored