First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLWS
Occupation
Management
So because a person who does not work for Jeep says that Jeeps are for affluent people, you'll never buy another one? If that's all it took to push you over the edge, it sounds like they had already lost you as a customer and you were just looking for an excuse. Which is fine, to each their own. Just a bit dramatic is all.

I'm always the one saying that I don't like the inclusion of more and more tech (as standard, as available options I'm completely fine with.) because of what it does to the pricing. And don't get me wrong, I'm still of that opinion. But I'm far from affluent, and I was able to purchase a new one in the configuration that I'd always wanted that was within my price range. So I wonder how the consulting firm explains buyers like me if we're all wealthy individuals?
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Not trying to argue anything here...my post was just intended to share the article and my increasing disappointment in the brand. Clearly, many Wrangler owners aren't "affluent" (which is a vague term anyway) but that doesn't mean Stellantis isn't focusing on wealthier Americans who can afford an $80K+ toy. As someone mentioned earlier, many of us don't want luxury vehicles on par with the G-Wagon, and yet that's where the brand is obviously headed. I could easily afford a 392 Rubicon, but after years of driving my beloved CJ-5, I just wanted the simplest, bare-bones option out there, and still had to accept all the unnecessary bells and whistles on a 2-door JL Sport. If I could strip it down further, I would (and might...after my warranty expires!).

If Roxor and/or Jimny could get a more solid footing in the US, particularly in terms of sales, supply, and service support, I'd gladly consider these as non-luxury alternatives. Bash them if you like, but they're more than capable to fill this impending void in the market. Particularly for the Jimny, you only have to look at how popular it is in overseas markets, and with a little more tweaking, Roxor could be just as attractive.

Lastly, I agree that Willys/Kaiser/AMC CJ models weren't the best off road vehicles of all time, but they were for their respective eras, much like the JL is now. In 40 years, "JY" owners will look back at the JL and say the same thing. That's just how technology evolves.

No matter what you believe, buy what you want, drive what you want, modify it how you want, and be happy....even if it's not a Jeep. :)

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
So let everyone go back to buying the Sport with crank wndows, manual locks, and minimum options.
That's exactly what I was shopping for, then I got pushed into the used market and managed to find a low mileage Sport with electric windows and locks.
I gather from some of the posts here that many people buy a Wrangler for image, anyone who would buy a new vehicle and then spend $4K on tires/wheels/lift, never intending to drive off pavement, is not income-challenged and is buying the vehicle for image. I bought mine specifically to use on trails.
How many people who aren't on this forum buy the Wrangler for image vs. for trail use? I would guess a lower percentage of non-forum people do trails than forum people.

Not trying to argue anything here...my post was just intended to share the article and my increasing disappointment in the brand. Clearly, many Wrangler owners aren't "affluent" (which is a vague term anyway) but that doesn't mean Stellantis isn't focusing on wealthier Americans who can afford an $80K+ toy.
They've found a profit source and they are trying to grow it.

C.Sco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4xe Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps expensive... I work a senior blue collar position for a large employer. I should be able to afford my Rubicon and the nice 1 bedroom apartment in town on my income. That's not asking for much... My income isn't small by any means, in fact it's high for a high drop out (I make college graduate income if not more).

If I wanted the really nice apartment, I would need a paid off car...

EDIT:
We need the Suzuki Jimny.
I'm in the same boat, I make pretty good money but can only afford a nice Rubicon or a nice apartment, not both. We all know which one I chose, since I'm spending my time here and not on niceapartmentsforum.com

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
That's exactly what I was shopping for, then I got pushed into the used market and managed to find a low mileage Sport with electric windows and locks.
I gather from some of the posts here that many people buy a Wrangler for image, anyone who would buy a new vehicle and then spend $4K on tires/wheels/lift, never intending to drive off pavement, is not income-challenged and is buying the vehicle for image. I bought mine specifically to use on trails.
How many people who aren't on this forum buy the Wrangler for image vs. for trail use? I would guess a lower percentage of non-forum people do trails than forum people.

They've found a profit source and they are trying to grow it.
My froading days were long ago and far away. My jeep isn't recreational. I still drive jeeps because they,'re rugged and useful for someone who lives in the country. I'd far prefer less comforts and amenities at a lower price.
Raccoon.JPG

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
I'm in the same boat, I make pretty good money but can only afford a nice Rubicon or a nice apartment, not both. We all know which one I chose, since I'm spending my time here and not on niceapartmentsforum.com
Renting rooms has it's perks. Month to month, easily relocate and can put more towards retirement while having a nice Jeep... Can do a lot when you cut your housing expenses down drastically. Plus I am rarely home, always out.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
So let everyone go back to buying the Sport with crank windows, manual locks, and minimum options.
OK....that's not what I'm saying.

To clarify, Stellantis is mostly abandoning those customers who preferred the value-to-capability ratio of vehicles that were intended more for off-road/utility use and less for luxury. While it's acknowledged that there are 392s and other Wrangler models that are out of range for most middle-class Americans, it is leaving an obvious and troubling market gap for those of us who don't need or want any of that stuff. As stated previously, I could buy a 392 tomorrow, but I just don't feel the value is there and I couldn't care less about most of the options that come standard in it and other higher-end models. I fully realize that there are many of us who want power-everything, the latest infotainment wizardry, and all of the so-called "nanny" systems...and by all means, they should have them.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
All of this makes sense...yes. But in today's economy, even a $31,000 model that's much less suited to serve as a single-family vehicle and DD is well out of reach for many, especially given the Wrangler's dubious reliability and terrible customer service. When you compare this to the affordability of CJs and TJs during their respective time periods, the JL is much less attainable for many Americans in the same/similar economic brackets.
A Model T, adjusting for inflation, cost a modern equivalent of $27,719.63. The base Jeep is not all that far off, especially when you consider all the Federally mandated safety features that the JL must have that the Model T did not. Not to mention that the JL is overall a significantly better, more capable and more convenient vehicle.

You're not upset with Jeep, you're upset with USD inflation.

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
Not trying to argue anything here...my post was just intended to share the article and my increasing disappointment in the brand. Clearly, many Wrangler owners aren't "affluent" (which is a vague term anyway) but that doesn't mean Stellantis isn't focusing on wealthier Americans who can afford an $80K+ toy. As someone mentioned earlier, many of us don't want luxury vehicles on par with the G-Wagon, and yet that's where the brand is obviously headed. I could easily afford a 392 Rubicon, but after years of driving my beloved CJ-5, I just wanted the simplest, bare-bones option out there, and still had to accept all the unnecessary bells and whistles on a 2-door JL Sport. If I could strip it down further, I would (and might...after my warranty expires!).

If Roxor and/or Jimny could get a more solid footing in the US, particularly in terms of sales, supply, and service support, I'd gladly consider these as non-luxury alternatives. Bash them if you like, but they're more than capable to fill this impending void in the market. Particularly for the Jimny, you only have to look at how popular it is in overseas markets, and with a little more tweaking, Roxor could be just as attractive.

Lastly, I agree that Willys/Kaiser/AMC CJ models weren't the best off road vehicles of all time, but they were for their respective eras, much like the JL is now. In 40 years, "JY" owners will look back at the JL and say the same thing. That's just how technology evolves.

No matter what you believe, buy what you want, drive what you want, modify it how you want, and be happy....even if it's not a Jeep. :)
So sell the JL, buy a CJ 5 and get back to us.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Omarius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Willys
Fundamentally, the style of jeep that American soldiers drove across Europe into the heart of Germany are still available for around 30k. It's just a bunch of old people who want a hyper luxurious caricature of a jeep, but don't want to spend the 80k to get it that constantly whine about the price. Either grow some balls and drive the 30k Jeep or make more money and drive the 80k jeep, but don't lament about why you should be able to buy an 80k Jeep for 30k.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OK...again...people are missing the point about value and customer base. Yes...many of us can afford higher end Wranglers, but the ratio of cost to inherent capability, dubious reliability, and poor customer service is simply not worth the skyrocketing prices that Stellantis is and will be charging in the future.

Last edited:

Jiggs1960

First Name
Curt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Willys, 2022 Chevy Colorado
Vehicle Showcase
My wife has a '22, 2-dr Willy's ( approx $36k), and I have a '22 4-dr Chevy Colorado (approx $40k). If it weren't for the ridiculous high trade in She got on an
Jeep Wrangler JL "Jeep's real customer base..." Article: How the Jeep Wrangler went from rock crawler to luxury SUV IMG_20230124_162818389
Jeep Wrangler JL "Jeep's real customer base..." Article: How the Jeep Wrangler went from rock crawler to luxury SUV IMG_20220724_071057548_HDR
'18 Subaru Crosstrek, she'd probably still be driving it. The Willys is something that she always wanted, and if we didn't get it now, we probably never would ( we're both 62). The Willy's is a blast to drive, and we're really looking forward to doing some off-roading at Rausch Creek this summer in it, and it's great to be able to put the top down on nice days. Having said all of this, yes, it's a fun vehicle, but in my opinion, there should be more than a $4k difference in price between the two vehicles. The Willy's is a pretty bare-bones Jeep (manual windows, door locks, cloth interior, not complaining, that's what she wanted), and the Colorado is pretty nicely equipped (power everything, 4-dr, 4x4, V-6, automatic, all-terrain tires). In my opinion, Jeeps are over-priced for what you get. No regrets, we love our Jeep but I feel like they're living off of their name.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeeps are over-priced for what you get. No regrets, we love our Jeep but I feel like they're living off of their name.
This was the whole point of this thread, and I really appreciate you taking the time to read and understand. Like your wife, I am mostly happy with my bare bones Wrangler, but fully realize the value isn't there, especially when compared to other alternatives like the Colorado. Enjoy and happy Jeepin' to you both!

YJdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 YJ 4.0, 2021 JL Willys Sport
The term "afford" has many definitions when it comes to vehicles. A person who can pay cash for a brand new 392 says he can afford it... the same as the person who had to use a credit card for a down payment then finance for 7+ years says they can afford it.
Sponsored