flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
https://abcnews.go.com/Business/jeep-unveiled-114k-wrangler-sold-1-hour/story?id=99060728

We all knew the Wrangler was destined for this since the Rubicon was first introduced, but it's sad to see the blatant admission of it in print. Having driven everything from the WWII-era Willys MB to all manner of CJs, TJ, and now the JL, this is truly sad to see. When only "affluent people" (their words, not mine) can afford a vehicle that should be attainable for most people, coupled with terrible customer service and questionable reliability, it's clear that the brand has truly reached new low.

After decades of ownership, it's sad to say that my current JL is the last Wrangler I will ever buy. Even worse, is that it even affects other potential alternatives (Bronco, Taco, 4Runner, etc.) because it drives the entire market into the "...more premium space." This includes the pre-owned market too, leaving almost no reasonably affordable choice for middle-class America. Assuredly, this isn't how the progenitors of the brand envisioned its evolution, and is just another casualty of our declining economic/social situation. After all these years as a loyal Jeep owner, I'm simply heartbroken.
Sponsored

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I get it. But a base 2-door Sport still has an MSRP of $31,195 so it's not like only the affluent can get into a Jeep. But, yeah, a 4-door Rubicon 392 with all the bells and whistles straight from the factory is now out of reach for the vast majority of buyers.

Last edited:

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
So let everyone go back to buying the Sport with crank wndows, manual locks, and minimum options. This process is not being forced on anyone. Not enough people will buy the stripped levels.

When I bought my JL I was out the door for 32k with a vehicle that's miles more capable than any of the other Jeeps I've owned in the past 50 years.. and it still had lots of stuff I dont need. Not talking about safety features, either. 14 display readouts on the digital speedo, massive overkill on the base entertainment unit, trick lights and USBs everywhere, tinted glass.

This is happening because everyone wants a jeep-looking ride with SxS rock crawling, Porsche performance, and Mercedes appointments.

For reference, here's my first Jeep.
JeepandSam.jpg

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Sorry I don't get your thought process at all, you can still get a relatively cheap Wrangler. And the lack of those using it for off-road probably has a considerable amount to do with the very limited places in all of America to go 'off road' legally that don't require hours of driving to get to or a specific location in the US. As someone living in MD I'll tell you directly it is hours of driving for me to get to a spot that allows legal off-road action, and none of the beaches permit any real off-road time. Hell even DE requires you purchase a 'fishing' license to go on the beach....ridiculous.

Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
All of this makes sense...yes. But in today's economy, even a $31,000 model that's much less suited to serve as a single-family vehicle and DD is well out of reach for many, especially given the Wrangler's dubious reliability and terrible customer service. When you compare this to the affordability of CJs and TJs during their respective time periods, the JL is much less attainable for many Americans in the same/similar economic brackets.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
All of this makes sense...yes. But in today's economy, even a $31,000 model that's much less suited to serve as a single-family vehicle and DD is well out of reach for many, especially given the Wrangler's dubious reliability and terrible customer service. When you compare this to the affordability of CJs and TJs during their respective time periods, the JL is much less attainable for many Americans in the same/similar economic brackets.
Average new car price in 2023 is a hair under $50,000 so clearly many can or are purchasing them. $31k is a cheap price compared to the average in 2023.

Vatdevil

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 2 Door 6 Speed
Jeep is in it for profits of course, every business is. Sales volume is WAY higher than the days of CJs. Better product meeting customer wants.

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Average new car price in 2023 is a hair under $50,000 so clearly many can or are purchasing them. $31k is a cheap price compared to the average in 2023.
I agree 100%, the average household income is a lot more too, keeping up with inflation. Many of the younger crowd rather do car sharing, UBER, and rentals then purchasing a car especially those in the city. So older more established wealthier customers are the "bread and butter" of these sales, who tend to switch vehicles more often, and then you have leases (which were not around back in the day) so smaller monthly payment and down payment allows you to lease a more loaded/optioned vehicle then purchasing....

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That article is way off.

Jeep sales were down 20% in Q1 on this year, including Wrangler. Meanwhile, Bronco sales are creeping ever closer. By mid year, Bronco is expected to outsell Wrangler for the first time ever.

Cox Automotive did a multi-year sales analysis and found out that Jeep sales peaked in 2018, and have been coming down every year since. https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-i...alysis-stellantis-q4-2022-market-performance/.

That was the year JK and JL sold side-by-side, and way before all-new Grand Cherokee and Wagoneer were introduced. In fact, sales of the all-new Grand Cherokee, in two and three row seating configuration, are now running 20% behind those of the outgoing model.

Stellantis as a whole is now being outsold by Hyundai-Kia. Stellantis is now only the fifth largest selling automaker in North America, after GM, Toyota, Ford and Hyundai-Kia.

Jeep executives keep painting a rosy picture that is not a reflection of reality. I don’t what it will take for them to wake up and smell the coffee.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
That article is way off.

Jeep sales were down 20% in Q1 on this year, including Wrangler. Meanwhile, Bronco sales are creeping ever closer. By mid year, Bronco is expected to outsell Wrangler for the first time ever.

Cox Automotive did a multi-year sales analysis and found out that Jeep sales peaked in 2018, and have been coming down every year since. https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-i...alysis-stellantis-q4-2022-market-performance/

Stellantis as a whole is now being outsold by Hyundai-Kia. In fact, Stellantis is now only the fifth largest selling automaker in North America, after GM, Toyota, Ford and Hyundai-Kia.

Jeep executives keep painting a rosy picture that is not a reflection of reality. I don’t what it will take for them to wake up and smell the coffee.
You don't even need to deep dive into numbers or do crazy research. Just visit a dealership. New Wranglers are sitting on lots longer these days than I have ever seen.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Morrison said the latest version of the Wrangler solves his one complaint with the SUV.

"I can now drive 80 mph and talk to my mom on the phone," he said.

ha ok! I guess I'll trade in my 2019 for the 2024 version with thicker carpets so I can also talk to my mom on the phone going 80 mph.

Riotfunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Willys with 2 Doors
This is my fourth wrangler, all 2 doors.
Paid 32k for loaded out sport with lsd 3.73 in 2012. Paid 35k for same thing in 2015. Paid 39k for rubicon in 2017 with similar options. Same Rubicon now is 56-58k. And my Willis is basically same thing as the sport s but 20k more now. Was 4-5kish difference over similar time frame with my first few rigs.

JxnJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Dodge Ram 2500
I get it. The changes have driven up the cost. A more utilitarian vehicle has come and gone, but at the same time, take a look at the styling choices in the market. If you want a mid-sized SUV, there are like 3 options in the market. And for my wife only two were acceptable.

1. Jeep Wrangler
  2. Ford Bronco
  3. Everything else aka high waisted bean cars (see photo)
I know, form over function, and styling wasn’t the only reason to get a wrangler but it matters. Now she can get many of the comforts of the bean cars and still be able to recognize her car in the parking lot.

2B63AB04-F9C3-4CD3-82CA-606998CCFD9A.jpeg
Sponsored