Paul uk

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hello everyone

Here’s my story. 2 1/2 years ago I sold my JK and bought a Golf GTI as I was getting married. I’ve regretted it to this day (selling the Jeep not getting married ). I live in London, England where Land Rovers are everywhere and Jeeps are exceptionally rare. I’ve never seen a JL on our roads. Anyhow I’ve waited 18 months for JL prices to drop. Eventually one day my wife called me at work and told me to get down to a Jeep garage. There was an offer due to an overstock of Sahara’s at the docks. I ordered one straight away in Billet Silver. Normally the 4 door retails for $64,000 (no joke) but with a hefty discount of $7,700 and 0% on any remaining finance. I managed to get a fantastic deal and I’ll be back in a Jeep this weekend when I pick it up. It’s the 2.0l petrol. Anyhow I really wanted a Rubicon but as I’ll be using this for commuting I want to be sensible and run 33” all terrains.

I’ve spent the week searching but I can’t find the answers. Will I need a lift kit? Would love to see pics of 33s with and without a lift. Also what all terrains do people recommend. (I commute 30 miles each way in London mostly highway in rotten traffic. Takes 2 hours each way).

I appreciate any advice you have on subtle upgrades. Done the 35” tire thing in my last Jeep. Just not practical with out gas prices.
Thanks

Paul
Sponsored

flot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU 392
I’ve spent the week searching but I can’t find the answers. Will I need a lift kit? Would love to see pics of 33s with and without a lift. Also what all terrains do people recommend. (I commute 30 miles each way in London mostly highway in rotten traffic. Takes 2 hours each way).

I appreciate any advice you have on subtle upgrades. Done the 35” tire thing in my last Jeep. Just not practical with out gas prices.
The first question - which wheels came on the UK Sahara? The same 18x7.5 ones which are equipped here in the states? You'll likely find that your selection of tires is slightly limited (but not impossible) in 33" sizes compared to 17" wheels, especially in a "C" rated design which is a more comfortable ride on the street.

I just took delivery of a Rubicon with the stock Wildpeak Mud Terrains, I swapped to BFGoodrich AT KO2 which are generally considered to be a solid "all around" AT tire, and am much happier with the ride on pavement. Even wet traction seems to be relatively good but haven't pushed it yet.

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hi Paul, I’m in the U.K. too, not many of us on here so welcome.

I don’t think you’ll need a lift to run a 33” tyre for your usage however I’m not sure what you’re going to find available in the U.K. for an 18” wheel. I don’t know for certain as I have the 17” wheels but it may be you have to change the wheel size.

Senator71

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara
Hi Paul. I’m actually a Brit but live in New York. I bought a Sahara and then swapped the 18” standard wheels for a set of Rubicon 17” wheels with KO2 tires which are 33”. I have no issues with rubbing and can highly recommend the KO2s for general use. I was going to buy 18” KO2s for my standard wheels but the set of off-takes were cheaper than 5 new tyres.

Might even be worth you looking at shipping a set of Rubicon wheels and tires to the UK. They seem to be trading for round about $1000 for a set and even with shipping it will probably be cheaper than a set of KO2s in the UK which I'm seeing for about GBP200 each so that's $1300 plus you get the Rubicon wheels which look great. Shipping will cost you a couple of hundred dollars.

Last edited:

Jeepdude101

First Name
Isaac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR black
Occupation
Construction field worker
Vehicle Showcase
I HAVE YOUR ANSWER... move to Texas:rock: ok for real I’m not sure what the tire selection is over there but BFG Ko2’s are solid tires very quiet great looks also Toyo open country At and Nitto terra grapplers are good as well.

Sponsored

mazakari

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon VW T5 Custom Camper 1971 Glastron V143
Another UK owner here too - 2019 JLU Rubicon...
You’ll have no problem fitting 33’s - the suggestions above about looking for some KO2’s mated to Rubicon wheels might not cost as much as you think. Have a word with Storm Jeeps. They often advertise Rubicon rims on eBay, wheels removed from cars going through their build process. They’ll be new with probably no more than delivery miles on them.
Never understood why the export cars got KM2’s rather than the KO2’s fitted in the US. The KM2’s are first on my list to get swapped out......

Jon

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. I swapped out the KM2's to KO2's almost immediately on my JLU Rubicon because they're crap in the rain and even more fun on icy roads. We have the exact same stock wheels as US JL's so the standard US fit 285/70R17's (as opposed to standard UK spec 255/75R17) are a straightforward fit.

I'm told that UK spec JL's have slightly narrower (shorter) DANA axles to comply with regulations on keeping the wheels under the wheel arches so you need to be careful about tires larger than 285/70's rubbing at full lock unless you buy alloys with a different offset

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Hi Paul,

Welcome to the Forum. I swapped out the KM2's to KO2's almost immediately on my JLU Rubicon because they're crap in the rain and even more fun on icy roads. We have the exact same stock wheels as US JL's so the standard US fit 285/70R17's (as opposed to standard UK spec 255/75R17) are a straightforward fit.

I'm told that UK spec JL's have slightly narrower (shorter) DANA axles to comply with regulations on keeping the wheels under the wheel arches so you need to be careful about tires larger than 285/70's rubbing at full lock unless you buy alloys with a different offset
He’s getting a Sahara ;)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone

Here’s my story. 2 1/2 years ago I sold my JK and bought a Golf GTI as I was getting married. I’ve regretted it to this day (selling the Jeep not getting married ). I live in London, England where Land Rovers are everywhere and Jeeps are exceptionally rare. I’ve never seen a JL on our roads. Anyhow I’ve waited 18 months for JL prices to drop. Eventually one day my wife called me at work and told me to get down to a Jeep garage. There was an offer due to an overstock of Sahara’s at the docks. I ordered one straight away in Billet Silver. Normally the 4 door retails for $64,000 (no joke) but with a hefty discount of $7,700 and 0% on any remaining finance. I managed to get a fantastic deal and I’ll be back in a Jeep this weekend when I pick it up. It’s the 2.0l petrol. Anyhow I really wanted a Rubicon but as I’ll be using this for commuting I want to be sensible and run 33” all terrains.

Thanks

Paul
I'd go with an AEV 2" spacer lift. I have one on my JK with the 33's I swapped from my JL Rubicon. I've run that lift for about 90k miles and it has been excellent. I've run the hell out of it on and off road, including trips to Colorado and Moab and it performed beautifully. The big advantage is that it keeps the drivability close to stock. It won't take any more than 2" to run the 33's, anyway. I think the height will be aesthetically perfect with that size tire. Not to mention, they are an easy install and inexpensive, especially when shipping overseas is factored into it. I'm pretty sure you'd have the option of keeping the stock shocks, too, if you wanted.

Man would I love to drive all over the UK in a JL! What a blast that would be on the country roads! You should take a trip over to the Mach loop in Wales and check out the fighter jets as they cruise by!

Rudolph Hart

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GME Mojito!
Occupation
Semi retired
Man would I love to drive all over the UK in a JL! What a blast that would be on the country roads! You should take a trip over to the Mach loop in Wales and check out the fighter jets as they cruise by!
I usually do one day a week off-roading in Wales. We were in the Machynlleth area last week and saw quite a few fighter jets. Sadly the camera on my phone isn’t really up to capturing them, there’s lots of vids on YouTube though.

Sponsored

GeeBee

First Name
Gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.0 GME
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I usually do one day a week off-roading in Wales. We were in the Machynlleth area last week and saw quite a few fighter jets. Sadly the camera on my phone isn’t really up to capturing them, there’s lots of vids on YouTube though.
I grew up in a village just outside Machynlleth. It's weird being up on the hills and watching the fighter jets fly around the valleys down below you. You literally look down into the cockpit as you wave at the pilots.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Paul uk

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
Hi everyone. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I’m super excited as I’m picking the Jeep up in the morning. This all reminds me of when I used to post questions on other Jeep forums about my JK. I’ll probably get an AEV lift as they are stocked in the UK and I’ve noticed Rubicon wheels and tyres for sale on eBay but I’m not prepared to pay £1.5k extra on a new Jeep. Gigs Tyres who I’ve used before sell the BFG in odd sizes and cheaper too. But I’ll wait till my tyres start to wear out. I’ve attached a pic the dealer just sent me of my Jeep waiting for me. Again, I appreciate all the help guys now I have to show some restraint with the upgrades. Paul

9C3B5390-FF21-4274-8BD2-DCA7412CBB61.jpeg

mazakari

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JLU Rubicon VW T5 Custom Camper 1971 Glastron V143
Looking good and I’m sure you’ll have a blast with it !!
Not seen any JL’s other than demonstrators on my travels - it’s a good feeling knowing that you drive something a little different (in the UK anyway...)
Sponsored