Sponsored

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

You will NEVER see a stock Grand Cherokee on Pritchett... never ever never.
Oh you're just being negative!

In five or ten years, whenever Jeep tells us that this technology is tested, troubleshot and ready to roll, I'll rent a new Grand Cherokee. Then get the full insurance policy on it. Then take it to the beginning of the Pritchett Canyon Trail. Then get out, and watch from a distance how good their tech really is...
Sponsored

Craigger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Clubs

From a military perspective, thatā€™s what driver training is for. Besides, the AI canā€™t take into account the tactical situation adequately.
It would definitely have military applications as far as reducing mental load on an operator. Think driver assistance, not driver replacement.

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
I mean, it's badass that the technology is progressing to be able to handle a situation such as off-roading, but it seems like it's just removing all of the fun?

For on-road autonomous driving, I definitely see the value - driving home from a long road trip, for instance, it'd be nice to be able to punch in my home address and then take a nap.

But for off-roading? Not sure I see the value/draw.
Not so sure. You ever notice how out of date the maps on gps systems become? Gives a whole new meaning to ā€œcomputer crashā€šŸ˜³. And for off road? Really? Does anyone think itā€™d be fun to sit in a machine while IT decides where and how to go? You can do the same thing by going to an amusement parkšŸ™„

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
So now they made a Jeep that can go out and break itself? šŸ¤”

Well that just takes the fun out of it!
And one that can repossess itself when you miss your monthly payment no matter where you are... :)

Seriously, though, driving of any kind (DD, racing, off-roading) is a relationship between the vehicle and the driver. Taking that out of the equation in this case turns every Jeep into an off-road taxi.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
It would definitely have military applications as far as reducing mental load on an operator. Think driver assistance, not driver replacement.
I get your point, and I wasnā€™t an operator. Iā€™ve known quite a few that I worked with and have a close buddy who was one. Every one I knew that I worked with was a control freak. Iā€™m not so sure they would accept this technology in the field readily. Maybe over time.

Sponsored

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

I mean, it's badass that the technology is progressing to be able to handle a situation such as off-roading, but it seems like it's just removing all of the fun?

For on-road autonomous driving, I definitely see the value - driving home from a long road trip, for instance, it'd be nice to be able to punch in my home address and then take a nap.

As a technophile who normally gets all horned up on anything machine autonomy/learning, I absolutely 100% agree. Not only will this take the fun out of the off-road experience, it will make it much worse for the rest of us when "influencers" and other non-off-road people start clogging up the trails because of this...

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Not so sure. You ever notice how out of date the maps on gps systems become? Gives a whole new meaning to ā€œcomputer crashā€šŸ˜³. And for off road? Really? Does anyone think itā€™d be fun to sit in a machine while IT decides where and how to go? You can do the same thing by going to an amusement parkšŸ™„
No, cause I don't use built-in maps. Google keeps theirs plenty updated. There are several companies that've been testing fully self-driving vehicles for years now - the technology doesn't use onboard maps anyways - it uses cameras and radar and such for a live picture of the road. And it's getting better quickly.

Not only will this take the fun out of the off-road experience, it will make it much worse for the rest of us when "influencers" and other non-off-road people start clogging up the trails because of this...
Gross I hadn't even thought of that. I'm 100% on board with non-off-road people learning how to off-road (including myself) but also 100% against "influencers" clogging up the trails.

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.

One value is that the technology that can be passed on to military vehicles. Imagine a driverless Jeep/HMMWV bringing ammunition to a frontline squad in a contested area. That would be one use of it. Crossing a swollen river with food/clothing/medical supplies would be another use as well.

Jeepmojave85

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
I get why people hate this but the technology to me is fascinating.

Sponsored

BeachNJeep

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubi 4xe, 2020 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L
Occupation
Sub-acute hospital administrator
I can see the benefit if you're wheeling solo (which I never recommend) and you can't read the line so you punch in auto mode and it gets you out of a tough situation or if you're bogged down it can get you unstuck. Great! But, the whole reason you go off road is to get away from the rat race and that includes all the tech that surrounds us daily. You challenge yourself, both mind and spirit, with trails or mud bogs or water hazards that make you think about nature and your machine and how you interact with both.

I have a computer at work and a cell phone in my pocket. Each has a dedicated function as an appliance. I don't want that from my rig.

Part of the fun of a Jeep is driving it and learning how to test its and your limitations. No computer or AI or autonomous driving aid can do that. Not that I want it anyway...

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
This is a gimmick to tease the actual use on road autonomy. Nobody off road will use this. But if this can improve on road autonomy even just by 3%. Thatā€™s a pretty significant jump in what that technology is already achieving.
itā€™s funny. I bought a 4xe willys. I really wanted to get back to something I had to drive. No back up sensors. No adaptive cruise. Just good old fashioned driving. And then this story comes out. Lol. As a parent of future drivers Iā€™m not totally against autonomous driving cars though. I worry about the morons my kids are gonna be on the road with.

cafecito820

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler

I wasn't alive when it happened, but I feel like someone said this very same thing the first time they heard about automatic transmissions. Not saying they were wrong or that I disagree; it's just what technology does - everything for us.

ChuckQue

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Clubs

Iā€¦.I donā€™t even know what to say about this. Oh for fucks sake comes to mind.
Sponsored