Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I mean, it's badass that the technology is progressing to be able to handle a situation such as off-roading, but it seems like it's just removing all of the fun?

For on-road autonomous driving, I definitely see the value - driving home from a long road trip, for instance, it'd be nice to be able to punch in my home address and then take a nap.

But for off-roading? Not sure I see the value/draw.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
At the end of the video they put, "The adventure never ends" but yes, yes it does when all the fun and challenges are done 100% for you.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Not badass at all... it's straight up lame IMO. What fun is that, you'd be better off going to an amusement park. I get it on road but off road... seriously? I'm guessing there will be a few soccer moms who will get bragging rights at the next PTA meeting when they go "off-roading" with these "Jeeps".
This is so dumb I can't find any more words to say how dumb it is.

Sponsored

SadRobot

First Name
Greg (not Greg)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
At the end of the video they put, "The adventure never ends" but yes, yes it does when all the fun and challenges are done 100% for you.
Also right before that the tester is outside watching the Jeep drive itself over some rocks. Is that the idea? You get out while the Jeep does all the fun stuff and then you get back in? 🤣

jman

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A van and a boring car
Not badass at all... it's straight up lame IMO. What fun is that, you'd be better off going to an amusement park. I get it on road but off road... seriously? I'm guessing there will be a few soccer moms who will get bragging rights at the next PTA meeting when they go "off-roading" with these "Jeeps".
This is so dumb I can't find any more words to say how dumb it is.
No, it's awesome really. Not for what they are showing here but this is amazing for rescue operations, military applications and things like that. Lots of potential.

SOON

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys 4XE
I don’t see how this would be benificial. I guess it’s good that the system can identify certain “hazards” that the human eye might not spot in time. But yeah. Nobody is gonna go wheeling in autonomous mode.
I guess though… imagine you’re out wheeling and something bad happens to you to where you’re unable to drive. Your jeep can drive you back to civilization. That’s kind of a cool option?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Also right before that the tester is outside watching the Jeep drive itself over some rocks. Is that the idea? You get out while the Jeep does all the fun stuff and then you get back in? 🤣
Right. This way you don’t have to stop and get out of the Jeep to take photos. You just stand out there camera in hand... 😫

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you want an autonomous driving mode that can get itself unstuck, that will be extra.

And the dealer won’t know how to fix it when it breaks...

😫

Powelligator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJ Rubicon, 2022 JL Rubicon
Clubs

I recognize a couple of those trails, Backwards Bill and Sevenmile. Those are easy trails, though Wipeout Hill is a significant obstacle between them. Looks like they are early on in this tech, it'll be a while before we see a stock Grand Cherokee on Pritchett Canyon all by itself. I, for one, welcome my new computer overlords.