Jeeps and dogs

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Yep I am a Kurgo guy too - their leash and harness are pretty awesome although I do think that their quality has gone down for the past two years. I also use Kurgo seat cover for both of my car. The seatbelt tether is pretty amazing and sturdily made. I highly recommend all of them.

1kurgo.jpg

1-kurgo2.jpg

1-kurgo3.jpg
smart but I have to be honests my dog is like the teenagers in the 60s , wearing no seat belt with their heads sticking out the window showing happy faces ,just like my dog , at least he seems to be the happiest when riding it the Jeep , he is very often barking at strangers so here in the city he gets his vocals really exercised. Well he is a dog after all and not a doll , most of dogs today walk around like zombie mutes on a leash except those little hairy guinea pigs that never shut up , and so sitting behind the wheel next next to my dog I enjoy very much smoking and I think my dog likes it too. When his head isn't poking out the window he is sniffing right by my wrist. After so many years of all the new rules and regulations i still instinctivly throw the butts out the window .It feels natural. Ashes to ashes butts on the roadway. l am convinced the first think I saw when I opened my baby eyes was a cigarette butt. I know it's really a bad habit but then everybody has bad habbits

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
smart but I have to be honests my dog is like the teenagers in the 60s , wearing no seat belt with their heads sticking out the window showing happy faces ,just like my dog , at least he seems to be the happiest when riding it the Jeep , he is very often barking at strangers so here in the city he gets his vocals really exercised. Well he is a dog after all and not a doll , most of dogs today walk around like zombie mutes on a leash except those little hairy guinea pigs that never shut up , and so sitting behind the wheel next next to my dog I enjoy very much smoking and I think my dog likes it too. When his head isn't poking out the window he is sniffing right by my wrist. After so many years of all the new rules and regulations i still instinctivly throw the butts out the window .It feels natural. Ashes to ashes butts on the roadway. l am convinced the first think I saw when I opened my baby eyes was a cigarette butt. I know it's really a bad habit but then everybody has bad habbits
Hahaha as always Kluk you always make me laugh! Thank you. I don't know what kind of dog you have but I am glad that you have a very good rapport with your dog and that he does not jump out of the Jeep. Unfortunately (well actually its fortunately cause I do have the best dog ever) - I have a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and also a Tibetan Terrier (which is not really a terrier after all - they are more of an ancient breed like Lhasa or Shit tzu) and Sparky the Wheaten Terrier just like many other terrier have inclination to chase. So I really cannot take chances with him - unless I am in a big field that is far away from roads with traffic! The other dog is the same too - they will chase a squirrel if they see one, it is just their natural instinct. But both of them are older dogs now - so while they don't get overtly excited while they are in the Jeep, I feel better that they are somewhat tethered to the seat. They are hearty dogs that I can rough with or play catch with tho. I love medium sized dogs. And both of them don't shed!

Thanks for sharing! :like:

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 20190213_175925 (2)

Waffles the Tibetan Terrier (7) on the left and Sparky the Wheaten Terrier (9) with their Kurgo harness and one of the best leash you can get - Lupine Pet leashes! Soft yet sturdy! And a lifetime warranty :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 56803_LI

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
Hahaha as always Kluk you always make me laugh! Thank you. I don't know what kind of dog you have but I am glad that you have a very good rapport with your dog and that he does not jump out of the Jeep. Unfortunately (well actually its fortunately cause I do have the best dog ever) - I have a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and also a Tibetan Terrier (which is not really a terrier after all - they are more of an ancient breed like Lhasa or Shit tzu) and Sparky the Wheaten Terrier just like many other terrier have inclination to chase. So I really cannot take chances with him - unless I am in a big field that is far away from roads with traffic! The other dog is the same too - they will chase a squirrel if they see one, it is just their natural instinct. But both of them are older dogs now - so while they don't get overtly excited while they are in the Jeep, I feel better that they are somewhat tethered to the seat. They are hearty dogs that I can rough with or play catch with tho. I love medium sized dogs. And both of them don't shed!

Thanks for sharing! :like:

Waffles the Tibetan Terrier (7) on the left and Sparky the Wheaten Terrier (9) with their Kurgo harness and one of the best leash you can get - Lupine Pet leashes! Soft yet sturdy! And a lifetime warranty :)

what can I say? Perfect Family , thanks for sharing your guys with us

Sponsored

Mane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner LTD
I must be a heathen as I've never thought about a harness for driving. I just open the tail gate, 80lb mutt jumps in and stays put, he has a great time and everyone is happy.

Admittedly, my dog is a really good boy and would NEVER jump unless given the OK, so there's that too.

JP29

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport
I ordered one of those Kurgo seatbelt leads on a whim and Idk, might need to check if they have longer leads... Violet was pretty morose compared to how she handles rides when I just slip her five foot lead around the front seats release handle and let her have the whole back to romp around in. The Kurgo keeps her from sticking her head out past the tub, which is great for overall safety but I think she feels restricted.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 20200817_183439

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 20200817_183454

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
FYI, just bought this. those are construction fall restraints. It contains a brake that get into action as soon as the cable is pulled out quickly, whatever the angle it is as it uses a kinetic brake system. Stops everything in inches. By hand, it stops in 2 in. I'd say a 100lb dog would stop in 4 to 6 in, max. I will install those on the last horizontal sports bar of my JLU.

The brake is so efficient that it will prevent a dog from jumping out of the cab, and I would suspect that it would also restrain it from being tossed around if the lead is not extended too much. By using the last horizontal sports bar of a JLU, there will b little cable extension thus reducing the kinetic energy transfered to the dog by any long length of restaint lead if th dog is at the tail gate,and if it is extended because the dog is closer to the front seat, same thing applies - any forward movement from hard braking or a collision will prevent the dog from moving forward.

I will try this later this week and see if the tension in the lead is too much from my 2 Bernese (97lb and 115 lb respectively).

This is sold through Amazon. single leads are in the range of $150 to $200, a double like this one is about $300. these have 6 ft. leads in them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs dog restraints

Pat’s Sahara Unlimited

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Solution installed and tested. dogs barely take more than 18 - 20 in of leash. I need to create a better sport bar mount, probably using a home made metal clamp in order to keep the winders higher and removing the extra inches added by the motorcycle tie-downs. After a few rides, the "leashes" do not tangle at all, the dogs have full movement and on a few hard stops, they moved about 12 in. mostly caused by the way I attached the winders to the bar.

restaint 1.jpg

restraint 3.jpg

restraint 5.jpg

restraint 9.jpg

Sponsored

Cappy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I must be a heathen as I've never thought about a harness for driving. I just open the tail gate, 80lb mutt jumps in and stays put, he has a great time and everyone is happy.

Admittedly, my dog is a really good boy and would NEVER jump unless given the OK, so there's that too.
It's all fun and games until you slam the breaks and your 80lb dog goes through the windshield.

Unless I am taking a very short trip to a local lake or park mine goes in a Rufftuff crate in the back.

jadewolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport (sold), 2021 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Another vote for the Kurgo here. The first week after bringing my border collie home from the shelter years ago, he jumped out my half-open window at a stoplight. I quickly learned to secure him at all times. He'd have be gone in half a second with the top off otherwise.

I considered a cargo net, but he was such a wiggly escape artist, I didn't think it would hold him reliably.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I've traveled thousands of miles with dogs in a Wrangler. I never allow them to be loose or just held in by any harness devices while I'm driving on streets or highways. They've always been crated in the back and mostly just lie there quietly and even sleep. I'm confident that If I'm ever in a wreck they are safer since they are never at any odd angle in a window and they're not going to be at risk of bouncing off the interior like the roll bar of my Jeep. It's another level of protection when I've been places where I take my dog and people can't just reach and attempt touch or pet my dog. 30 plus years of success using dog kennels and crates.

The only exception I've made for not using dog kennels or crates is when I've gone offroading on the beaches. I do use them getting there, but then change to a harness. I'm only moving at 15 mph at most anyway.

Just the way I've always done it and works for me.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
I use the kurgo system in the jeep and it works great (across the top between the passenger handles).

thought I’d post this to give you a good laugh. I just used it in our other SUV and attached it to the floor luggage tie down in the back. Basically to keep her in the back. We were surprised when half way through the trip all of a sudden we have a dog in the back seat.

moral of the story - a) Leia only likes the jeep, b) secured up top is better

naughty dog

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs C232F8F9-8830-4A5D-89F1-212D2B0FD3FA

Jeep Wrangler JL Jeeps and dogs 5978B50A-DAE0-4600-AFC8-33A4D9780603