islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'85 Cherokee, '91 Jeep YJ
Vehicle Showcase
Day 2 and we're still on the move. After getting into New Mexico, the Rubi followed I-10 as it makes a hard left at Las Cruces. Really close to White Sands, New Mexico.

Crossing New Mexico and already at the Arizona border.

IMG_8998.PNG
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Still on Day 2 and the Rubi is nearing Tucson, AZ.

This rig is on pace to make a cross country trip in 3 days. The carrier left Virginia on Monday AM and at this pace, will be in Long Beach by late afternoon tomorrow. The driver's picked up a couple of timezones along the way as well so that gives him more daylight tomorrow to drive.

Amazing how fast these guys get cross country and you get a sense of why they say that "America runs on trucks". Hats off to these drivers for what they're doing for all of us during the crisis. I know that shipping a car isn't critical at this time, but keeping this particular small business (the owner / operator of this rig) employed is good for all of us.

Hopefully for anyone reading this in March / April of 2020, it's a chance to take your mind off of everything and just enjoy the idea of a Rubicon making its way across the country.

Stay safe and stay healthy.

IMG_9005.PNG

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

ill keep an eye out for it!. i run on the I-10 and the 60 here in cali. all white rubicon. if i see a rig with rubis on it all do my best to get a photo!

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
ill keep an eye out for it!. i run on the I-10 and the 60 here in cali. all white rubicon. if i see a rig with rubis on it all do my best to get a photo!
Thanks, Maverick909! That would be great.

Day 3: Rubi has crossed into California. And as of 7am, just outside of Mesa Verde right now. Looks to be about 1.5 hours from the intersection of I-10 and 60.

IMG_9012.PNG

IMG_9013.PNG

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 3 afternoon and the rig is hunkered down in Ontario.

Given LA traffic, seems like a good thing to wait until later to deliver the Rubi to Matson.

Anyone near 8455 Schaefer Ave, Ontario, CA?

IMG_9016.PNG

Last edited:

Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

had my good eye out while driving the ten freeway yesterday and didn't get to see your beautiful white Rubi. dang it!

Kona Damien

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Rubicon and ‘13 Grand Cherokee
Vehicle Showcase
Farrish is a good dealer here in VA. It is near my house. If I knew about this earlier I could have run over there and looked at it for you. I’m digging your thread as me and my fam are looking to move to the Big Island when we are done making money here, about 5 more years.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 4 - Still in Ontario. Got across the country in 2.5 days and looks to be taking parked waiting for Matson to open up for the next ship. As an update, I missed the loading day for Matson for a 4/4 departure (Tuesday) so I'm scheduled to be on the 4/11 departure date from Long Beach.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
had my good eye out while driving the ten freeway yesterday and didn't get to see your beautiful white Rubi. dang it!
Thanks for trying, brother.

Stay safe and stay healthy!

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Farrish is a good dealer here in VA. It is near my house. If I knew about this earlier I could have run over there and looked at it for you. I’m digging your thread as me and my fam are looking to move to the Big Island when we are done making money here, about 5 more years.
Thanks, @Kona Damien. I wish I had thought about posting in the regional forums earlier. I thought of it as the Rubi was going cross country - tried to get someone in Texas to pick up the transport on the way through east Texas, and then in SoCal.

I'm connecting with the shops and folks who work on their rigs here on Oahu and will be checking out trails soon. By the time you get to the Big Island, maybe we'll have an inter island ferry or I'll have to spend the $ to ship the Rubi to the Big Island for some camping there!

Sponsored

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 5 - Still in Ontario and the Rubi will be staying over the weekend to be dropped off at Matson on Monday.

So now we're onto the story around shipping a car on either Matson or Pasha. Standard rates now between the mainland and Hawaii is $1500. Still around $900 to go the other direction. Unfortunately prices went up September 2019 so it's $500 more now to get a car to Hawaii.

Heading over to Matson, we see the shipping scehdule.
https://www.matson.com/matnav/schedules/interactive_vessel_schedule.html

So the Rubi will either be on the Lurline or the DKI (Daniel K. Inouye) heading to Honolulu from Long Beach. The DKI is a car carrier (car is put into a carrier and then craned onto the ship and the Lurline is a roll on / roll off (car just drives on the ship).

Interesting that total transit listed on Matson website is 4 days (same as cruise ships going from West Coast to Hawaii). When talking to the transport folks, there's a 10-12 day transit listed but they're not clear if this is from ship leaving port or from the time the car arrives. It'll be interesting to see how much the car is moved around and how accurate the Sirius Guardian system is as compared to the Matson tracking site.

Screen Shot 2020-04-03 at 9.19.29 AM.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 6: Rubi is still in LA. Anyone who lives in the area and happens to be out - grab an image. The overall shipping time continues to be a question because it’s all about what happens at the port. Living in Hawaii sometimes feels like be transported in time. Things like Prime sometimes works, but otherwise, you’re waiting for a boat to sail across the pacific and get to the islands.

So far here’s what’s waiting for the Rubi:
1) a set of Mopar all weather mats
2) a rhino rack backbone system - the videos of drilling through the hardtop still give me the willies but we’ll see how it goes
3) smittybilt side armor / steps - still waiting to see if I have to take off the Rubi rock rails. There’s conflicting info out there. For those who are wondering, I’m got a bunch of little kids to need help getting in and out. Going armor so if the rails have to come off, these can handle it. I’m not sure anything on Oahu is going to actually require rock rails but I like the thought of what the armor will do to the swinging doors in parking lots.

Still working on:
1) tint for front windows
2) 35” tires - likely the 315 70/R17 K02’s mounted on stock Rubi wheels. Maui Off Road is going to sell the existing 5 K02’s for me. Apparently the 285 70/R17s are popular for the Toyota pickups on the island so that’s good. By the way, not working out here - since there seem to be a limited supply of anything in Hawaii, including Ford F-150 Raptors, but for anyone looking to get a good set of 315 K02’s for cheap on the mainland, the Ford F-150 Raptor runs the 315 as stock. So here are all the Rubi owners selling their 285 stock tires for cheap to the Toyota owners an the Ford F-150 Raptor guys selling their 315’s cheap to the Rubi owners. The tire food chain. Get on a Raptor message board to find your 35” tires.
3) rear hatch light
4) tailgate or other mechanism to lock the car while surfing
5) hinge steps
6) tailgate cooktop (might DIY)
7) stinger on the front bumper
8) winch
9) some more lights
10) rack mount tent
11) rack mount awning (might DIY)

Generally looking to set up the Jeep to take on Peacock flats - only legal trail on the island - and to do some runs on the beach and some camping.

Everything after 4 is questionable - both terms of how convinced I am I’ll be getting them and also how often they’ll be used. Opinions welcome!

As always, stay health and stay safe during this time.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 7 - Still in Ontario. Should be moving to Matson tomorrow or Tuesday.

OP
OP
islandjeep

islandjeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 8 - got the call in the AM. Transfer to Matson happening today and payment needed for Matson.

Started off the day here in Ontario
IMG_9049.PNG

And sometime after noon, made the trip to the Matson dock in Long Beach. We'll see how much the car gets moved before getting put onto a ship.

IMG_9051.PNG

IMG_9052.PNG

Confirmed on the Matson website. Looks like it's going to be the DKI so the Rubi will be on the way this coming Saturday.

Screen Shot 2020-04-06 at 12.40.13 PM.png

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

Aloha...
Great thread; what a cool way to watch your Jeep's journey! :like:

I think you won't be sorry you opted for the automatic tranny...I, too, like to drive stick, but I opted for the V6/8 speed auto for my JL, and I must admit that it is a great transmission, with quick, smooth shifts that pairs well with the Pentastar. I've also driven the I4 eTorque with the auto, and again think that Jeep really got it right with these automatic trannys.
Sponsored